• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there a market at Disney for a small adults-only resort?

My DH and I are DINKs, and we both work in school settings. If I was not a DVC member, I would definitely stay at an adults-only resort.

I'm a 2nd grade teacher, and I love kids, but sometimes I just need a break from being around them. It would be nice to be able to enjoy a kid-free pool, not hearing screaming in the resort hallways, etc.

I'm sure there is a market for it, but remember the outcry here when Victoria & Alberts announced that they would not be allowing children under 10.

So you can imagine the outcry that folks would say "their" darlings wouldn't upset the other adults there!!

:lmao::rotfl2:
Ooy Vey, do I ever remember the uproar!! I would definitely stay at an all adults resort. Dh & I love a quick getaway sans kids. It would be terrific to combine that with Disney.

I never understood why this policy was needed. A child that behaves herself and has good table manners gets punished because some parents just allow there brats to do what ever they like.
Why not just ask the parent to leave if there children are misbehaving ? That implies restaurants,pools and all the other things adults (also) enjoy?
I think non of us here is a kid hater in any way but it is very sad that adults need a adults resort only to get away from children that obviously have no manners at all.
And again how will you prevent parents from just putting there kids over the fence because they "payed big bucks" to stay at the GF and will not accept the rules?
"".

Unfortunately it's very simple, because there are many, many adults who don't parent their children so as with many things you make the rules to week out the bad apples.

I'm an old head so unfortunately I do think the "special snowflake syndrome" is way more prevelant today. Pick up time magazine this week, the front cover is all about Helicopter parents and parents who really don't parent.

I went to church last week and this 3 y.o. was having a major tantrum, when the usher kindly suggested removing the child from the sanctuary, mom refused because she didn't want to miss the sermon (even though we have a tv monitor and speakers in the lobby). So bottom line was, the needs of one (her) out weighed the needs of many (every one else in church who wanted to enjoy the sermon without little princesses meltdown).
Remember the good ole days when people actually got up and settled their kids down outside?

Totally understand the rule.

If not a full on adult only resort, then at least adult-only areas at existing resorts - a building, a wind, a section... something. We've made more than a few trips as DINKs and while the kids are not usually a problem, it would certainly be nice to have at least one area of the parks where they are not ubiquitous.

And not just a deluxe resort. Moderate resort people would like some no-kids space, too. :)

And not just a deluxe resort. Moderate resort people would like some no-kids space, too. :)

Agreed. We are DINKs and although we could afford deluxe, it's not for us. I wouldn't expect adult-only areas in the values, but we are moderate folks and would appreciate some adult-only spaces.

re enforcement...

They could make the adults wing contain only rooms that had a limit of two people per room.

That by itself wouldn't keep out a single parent with one child, but it would go a long way toward making the section adults only.

okay...so I had to read this thread, cuz when I read the title I thought you were proposing a resort for SMALL adults! LOL!

Me Too:lmao:And i thought it would be fine for me as only 5 foot 2inches but DH is 6 foot 4 so he would have to stay somewhere else:rotfl:

Yep, let's do it. But not all king size beds please. A lot of parties of adult friends (or relatives) who really don't want to sleep together like to go and split a room. It's not just couples who like to go to Disney either.

Plus one more gourmet restaurant.

Never gonna happen though. It would mean bad press and bad word of mouth for Disney, as it's so heavily invested in the "families with kids" demographic.

I never understood why this policy was needed. A child that behaves herself and has good table manners gets punished because some parents just allow there brats to do what ever they like.

Because V&A was becoming more popular for families with children. You wouldn't think, but there were some reports that families were demanding - and getting - a child's meal from another restaurant for the kids when they ate there - at kid's meal prices. Once that starts happening, and word gets out, it's either going to become a family restaurant or you take the little kids out of the equation. Look what's happened at Bistro de Paris - I think the only reason the customers there are now not majority families with kids is that it isn't on the dining plan. Disney prefers nonconfrontation and I can't imagine them throwing a family out of a restaurant for the regular behavior of small children. Imagine the backlash.

People have been talking up how the kids misbehave, but I do have to say (as much as I would enjoy an adult atmosphere), that most of the issues I've had with noise and boisterous behavior have been with adults (not just young adults either) than with kids. Yes, I wish kids wouldn't run down the halls in the resorts either late at night or early in the morning, but they are no worse than the semi-sober adults talking as if they are a football field apart instead of standing right next to each other. I don't hate kids, and there are plenty of them in the park, but it's nice, especially on a solo trip, to find a nice quiet sanctuary in my resort. That's one reason I like the FW cabins - each one is self contained and separate, and feels much more private than a hotel room.

Because V&A was becoming more popular for families with children. You wouldn't think, but there were some reports that families were demanding - and getting - a child's meal from another restaurant for the kids when they ate there - at kid's meal prices. Once that starts happening, and word gets out, it's either going to become a family restaurant or you take the little kids out of the equation. Look what's happened at Bistro de Paris - I think the only reason the customers there are now not majority families with kids is that it isn't on the dining plan. Disney prefers nonconfrontation and I can't imagine them throwing a family out of a restaurant for the regular behavior of small children. Imagine the backlash.

I would throw myself out :lmao:.No really I would leave immediate if my child would misbehave, throw a fit or had a meltdown. Boy I would be ashamed from my head to me toes.

I'm an old head so unfortunately I do think the "special snowflake syndrome" is way more prevelant today. Pick up time magazine this week, the front cover is all about Helicopter parents and parents who really don't parent.

I went to church last week and this 3 y.o. was having a major tantrum, when the usher kindly suggested removing the child from the sanctuary, mom refused because she didn't want to miss the sermon (even though we have a tv monitor and speakers in the lobby). So bottom line was, the needs of one (her) out weighed the needs of many (every one else in church who wanted to enjoy the sermon without little princesses meltdown).
Remember the good ole days when people actually got up and settled their kids down outside?

Totally understand the rule.
Count me in as a "grey head":lmao:
I really wonder where all the normal and healthy kids went?
Sure, in the long gone days that I went to school we had one or maybe two "special" children in the whole community but these days the "snowflakes syndrome" seems to be the norm. How on earth will these children ever become responsible adults that can take care of themselves?
I love children but the older I get the more I understand that adults (young and old) try to get some Time Away from children and that I blame on the helicopter parents .

Just a guess, but the non disney facilities going up by the old Osprey Ridge properties may lean toward catering to the adult segment:woohoo:

I just saw this thread and should point out that the "outcry" and "uproar" over children at V&A was mostly media induced.
I did a poll on this site and as I recall, nearly 90% of the responses saw it as a great move on Disney's part.
Which, of course, it was.

We miss PI, leaving tomorrow to come down and really would like to find a new place to hang out with adults. We like ADH but it's too hard to get there unless you drive.

I just saw this thread and should point out that the "outcry" and "uproar" over children at V&A was mostly media induced.
I did a poll on this site and as I recall, nearly 90% of the responses saw it as a great move on Disney's part.
Which, of course, it was.

I agree with you. Even though I have never been to V&As, if I were to go, there would be no way in (a very hot place) that I would bring my two year old. If I am going to spend that much money one dinner, I want to enjoy my dinner. My 2 year old is pretty good in resturants, but not to the point where I want to bring her to a muli-course dinner. I think adults, including moms and dads, need to have a place where they can leave the kids with a sitter, and not have to worry about hearing other kids scream.

That's sort of how I look at it.
Subjecting a small child to a 2-hour long dinner where they MUST remian quiet AND seated the entire time is akin to torture.

I'm in two minds about this, whilst it might be nice to have a 'quiet place', I'd really miss seeing kids having fun, but I must admit it would be nice to have some restaurants with a separate adults only dining area - don't get me wrong, I love kids but I don't like kids running and screaming around where I'm eating, including hanging off my chair, crawling under my table (seriously), I'm not saying kids have to be seen but not heard, but nowadays manners seem to have been thrown well and truly out the window (although this does apply to adults too of course). :goodvibes

That's sort of how I look at it.
Subjecting a small child to a 2-hour long dinner where they MUST remian quiet AND seated the entire time is akin to torture.

I have to agree. When our DS13 was 2 he would sit there for a long period of time during dinner and would not make a peep. If he did start to make a fuss, we would leave. I wouldn't subject other people to my child's misbehavior. Which I can honestly say he did only 2 times while he was younger and with great reason. He makes more of a fuss now that he is soon to be 14 than he did when he was 2.:rotfl: I do feel that there are places for younger kids and then there aren't places for younger kids.

Would we go to an adults only hotel or resort. No, it's not for us but we can definitely see why it would be in popular demand.:flower3:

I can sympathize, to some degree, with many of you as my wife and I were dinks before having 3 children. We went there in 2004 before trying for kids, in order to experience WDW without kids. That being said, while there as adults we never really lamented the lack of adults only places. If we wanted to experience that, we would have left the resort to experience bars and restaurants in Celebration or Orlando and more adult-oriented resorts at Universal. After all, WDW was the idea of a park for adults and children.
JMHO

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." - Walt Disney

just an idea here- dont hurl a pumpkin pie at me.......

what if disney promoted Adult Getaway weeks? gave a discount, and invited adults
say....3rd week of Sept or 1st week of November or May?
(when kids are most likely in school.)
a discount on dining, and room for 2 adults in a room-.

:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter