iS THERE A LOT OF HOMELESS PEOPLE AND PAN HANDLERS AROUND DL

happysummer

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to know is there a lot of pan handlers close to the park. I have not been for many years. I just wanted to know if it is bad now. Also is it safe to walk back to the hotel at night. We booked a hotel about half a mile away.

We stay at the candy cane inn ( right behind cars land)...and have never seem any. We also walk back very late, and often stay past closing.
No issues :)

We really haven't seen any around the park. You may see a musician playing and taking tips but they won't bother you.

happysummer said:
I just wanted to know is there a lot of pan handlers close to the park. I have not been for many years. I just wanted to know if it is bad now. Also is it safe to walk back to the hotel at night. We booked a hotel about half a mile away.

Definitely saw what looked like homeless people pan handling close to the park. I wouldn't say it made me feel unsafe though. There are soooo many people around,and the walkway to the hotels were well lit.

I just wanted to know is there a lot of pan handlers close to the park. I have not been for many years.
No.

I just wanted to know if it is bad now.
It's not.

Also is it safe to walk back to the hotel at night. We booked a hotel about half a mile away.
It is safe but it still would be better to walk in a group or with other people. A child or woman walking alone at night with no one around is a bad idea most everywhere.

:wizard:

I have seen the occasional homeless person hanging out at the crosswalk from harbor to Disneyland. They don't ever seem to bother anyone. I would not consider that area unsafe. However, like anywhere, its not a smart idea to walk alone, especially at night. Use common sense and you will be fine!

I recently saw a post in here (I wish I could remember where) in which the poster commented on seeing many more panhandlers around the parks. It struck me as odd as I've been 3 times in the last year and don't recall seeing many at all (if any?). To be fair, though, I live in downtown seattle and am asked for money many times a day. I pretty much tune them out at this point.

As others have noted, foot traffic around the parks is always so heavy, particularly at night around closing time, I can't imagine it feeling unsafe. My last trip was a solo trip so I was walking alone at the end of the night and it never crossed my mind. Granted I'm not a small guy.

On weekends you sometimes get one on the walk back hanging around MacDonalds or some of the corners to the south on Harbor. Generally friendly.

Personally the bus stop outside of BWPPI is the worst of them all, not really pan handlers, but people who sleep there, some crazy folk riding the bus, etc.

Harmless, but a little odd.

We stay at the Candy Cane and have never felt unsafe walking back and forth. Only time I have felt unsafe in Orange County is driving on the freeway.

We were there for 4 days last week of September.

There was a man outside the entrance to Disneyland each day we went. There was also a man holding a religious/ end of the world sign there from time to time.
Across the road at the bus stop there was sometimes one or 2 men sleeping rough. One had a bird and had a sign saying needed money to feed his bird.

However I felt perfectly safe walking at night, as there were always plenty of people and cars about.
We stayed at the Howard Johnson hotel

I usually stay at the BWPPI and there are usually either pandhandlers or someone trying to sell something at the Harbour Blvd crosswalk. They're careful to not cross into Disneyland proper, but they're still there. I've seen them at all hours, including an hour past park closing (e.g., late at night).

I think it's fairly safe to walk around the Disneyland area, but as others have said, use common sense. If it's late and you're alone, I'd be cautious and consider getting a taxi instead. If you're in a large group and there are others still out and about, it's probably okay. That being said, keep you're eyes on your surrounds and know what's going on!

I have never felt unsafe around homeless people in any city, including Anaheim. They are usually the victims of crimes, not the perpetrators. I've never noticed a large amount if panhandlers around DLR, but I also live outside San Francisco so my viewpoint of "a large amount" may be scewed in relation to someone coming to visit from a small town.

I've always felt the area is quite safe. Tons of cars driving by and people walking. If you are heading back around park closing, there's hundreds of other people doing the same, so even alone, you aren't really alone. I wouldn't wander around by myself at 3am, but I wouldn't do that in many places. :)

They are usually a few homeless people at the bus stop on the Harbor end. None of them have ever approached me and I have walked from the parks to the HoJo at night alone without issue. It is very safe, the walk to the CCI is well traveled so you will be fine, but also recall that the CCI has a free shuttle that is very easy to get on. lol

I second what tiffjoy (and others) have said.

There are homeless people in Anaheim. Whether you think the problem is bad or not is largely dependent on where you live.

I would not hesitate to walk back to my hotel at park closing by myself. I have done so on several occasions and have never felt unsafe. The area is well lit and there are lots of folks around.

It's just like any urban-ish area: be aware of your surroundings, plan your route in advance and follow it, walk with purpose, use common sense, and you will be fine.

Have a great trip!

Society must keep in mind that "homeless people" does not necessarily equate or even infer criminal intent much less criminal activities.
When it comes to the subject of panhandling, yes, in many counties that is a petty offense, normally going against a local municipal code. Panhandling may occur in just about any zip code.
One should always be grateful that they are not in a position as so many others are in this country that may place them in these positions in life. No one in their right mind wakes up one morning for want of having no real home and or job.
Stereotypes, which is what the above terms are, in my opinion is very dangerous, demeaning and judgmental for society to not only utilize, but to do so readily.

Society must keep in mind that "homeless people" does not necessarily equate or even infer criminal intent much less criminal activities. When it comes to the subject of panhandling, yes, in many counties that is a petty offense, normally going against a local municipal code. Panhandling may occur in just about any zip code. One should always be grateful that they are not in a position as so many others are in this country that may place them in these positions in life. No one in their right mind wakes up one morning for want of having no real home and or job. Stereotypes, which is what the above terms are, in my opinion is very dangerous, demeaning and judgmental for society to not only utilize, but to do so readily.

Thank you for posting this Gisele. I've been trying to find the words since I first saw this post. As someone who works for a human services organization I'm always blown away by people's stereotypes brought on by lack of knowledge.

We stay at the Candy Cane and have never felt unsafe walking back and forth. Only time I have felt unsafe in Orange County is driving on the freeway.

I've wandered off the freeway looking for various stuff in Orange County, and there are definitely parts of OC that are "The Hood". Parts of Anaheim away from Disneyland have issues with the homeless as well as local gangs. I remember driving to a McD's on Ball and noticing that the customer base seemed way different. Some customers seemed a little less than altogether. I don't know about unsafe, but definitely unpleasant.

The one thing that is a bit unsavory is the corner of Harbor and Katella with the two convenience stores. It seems to be a hangout and some of the people buying beer look like they're already intoxicated. Public arrest reports show a lot of public drunkenness around that area. I've walked plenty there and never felt threatened though.

I haven't seen the area to be any worse than most, but there is definitely that element present. It's one reason I prefer staying onsite, but I normally don't find the atmosphere to be menacing there, just uncomfortable sometimes. My dd and I were frightened one night when a homeless guy suddenly stepped out of the bushes next to where we were walking back to the Hojo, but he just happened to pick that moment to exit his temporary bedroom. For that reason I will never use the DL side of Harbor again after dark to walk back to Hojo.

In my town, I've seen the panhandlers/vagrants become increasingly aggressive. Our downtown and city plaza are places that many residents have been avoiding because of it. The town is now working to reverse the damage and some of the cleanup help is coming from the people utilizing the homeless shelters. That's the thing; there are people who are in genuine need of assistance and are not dangerous and in fact helpful, but there are others who for various reasons live on the fringes of society and can be damaging in multiple ways.

I dislike aggressive panhandling and am leery of people with obvious mental disturbances lingering where I walk with my family. I do feel sympathy but I must also consider my family's safety. A seemingly harmless pair of vagrants suddenly got in a huge fight in front of me when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant. One pulled a knife on the other and out of nowhere a bunch more appeared. They were fighting within feet of where I was standing and began to make menacing remarks to me, but fortunately a police car pulled up followed directly by my husband, who had gone to get our car so I wouldn't have to walk so far. I was with my mom and my sister and we were all terrified. Since then, I prefer to avoid places that have vagrants. Where I live, many of them have addiction problems along with mental health issues. I have no answers to that but I will stay away from them when possible.

Society must keep in mind that "homeless people" does not necessarily equate or even infer criminal intent much less criminal activities.
When it comes to the subject of panhandling, yes, in many counties that is a petty offense, normally going against a local municipal code. Panhandling may occur in just about any zip code.
One should always be grateful that they are not in a position as so many others are in this country that may place them in these positions in life. No one in their right mind wakes up one morning for want of having no real home and or job.
Stereotypes, which is what the above terms are, in my opinion is very dangerous, demeaning and judgmental for society to not only utilize, but to do so readily.

:thumbsup2

A seemingly harmless pair of vagrants suddenly got in a huge fight in front of me when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant.

Happens once a week right outside of my office window and I work in a tourist area too near Pike Place Market in Seattle. Being homeless and panhandling is not a crime, but why they tolerate petty crime from these people crazy. Why the police tolerate this nonsense is beyond me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter