Is there a limit to frequency of renting out points?

Honestly, I wish they would do something to shut down point brokers. I don't have the luxury of booking my reservations almost a year in advance and have grown tired of never finding availability for the rooms size/location/dates I need...however there are multiple "confirmed" reservations for rent available at a high premium. I think it's getting close to the tipping point of more renters using the DVC resorts than members and that has me very concerned as it is definitely not the way it was presented to us when we bought our membership many moons ago.

True, but you can’t deny people the right to use their points. If they didn’t rent them, but they were just using them for their own vacations, the results would be similar. I think that other choices Disney has made, such as Aulani, Polynesian Bungalows, and similar things also have a lot to do with decreased availability.

I understand your frustration i would recommend that you book the dates you think you will be able to go 11 months out and if possible a few days extra in each end.

That way you may have something compared to zero.

I do that. Call me a room hog, but I have FOUR full vacations scheduled, and I will only be taking one of them and canceling the rest, probably.

. . . I understand the need to rent out the points you can't use yourself, but there are clearly thousands of people that are just purchasing them to use as a money-maker (which we were told wasn't allowed way-back-when). So disappointing that this is what it's turned into.... (Sorry, just venting!)

Actually, I doubt that THOUSANDS of people have purchased, just to make money. Money, cost benefit vs regular room cost, rentals and resale values are NOT guaranteed, and the returns, if any, are likely to be just average, at best. But renting and potential resale value does take some of the pressure off a decision to purchase, and can allow people to make a bigger purchase, with more confidence.

I imagine that is frustrating for you to see how the system has evolved since you bought it.

It's become mantra these days that if you can't book at least 7 months out, DVC is not for you. Probably wasn't true when you bought in, but that's the reality now. Every potential buyer that comes to the boards who tend to book the way you do are resoundingly told to not do it. If you can't book at least 7 months out, DVC is not for you. A lot of people talk about how if you're holding onto your contract, you're essentially saying you would buy in at today's prices and into today's system (grandfathered/direct benefits notwithstanding). Given you're having trouble using the points you have, maybe you're not a good candidate for DVC anymore?

I'm not saying that to be disparaging of your ownership, only that if the product has drastically changed for you (which it sounds like it has), perhaps getting out and paying cash occasionally would better address your travel needs.

If you can’t book at 7 months out, DVC really is probably not for you.

Yes, DVC most certainly is for me and has been for the last fourteen years. I understand people have the right to rent their points and I don't have a problem with that, what I do have a problem with is people that make a reservation *before* the points have been rented and snap up every available night and then hold those nights hostage for the highest bidder. I feel name changes on a reservation should be charged an administrative fee, that way maybe members would just advertise their points and not make a reservation until they have someone lined up to use them. Why would anyone even buy into DVC as a new member when they can rent points for all the peak times at the most popular resorts without a long-term commitment. I have always been very proud to be a DVC Member and look forward to that "Welcome Home", so no I won't be selling my contract anytime soon. However, I most definitely will not be adding on any more points.

Yes, DVC most certainly is for me and has been for the last fourteen years. I understand people have the right to rent their points and I don't have a problem with that, what I do have a problem with is people that make a reservation *before* the points have been rented and snap up every available night and then hold those nights hostage for the highest bidder. I feel name changes on a reservation should be charged an administrative fee, that way maybe members would just advertise their points and not make a reservation until they have someone lined up to use them. Why would anyone even buy into DVC as a new member when they can rent points for all the peak times at the most popular resorts without a long-term commitment. I have always been very proud to be a DVC Member and look forward to that "Welcome Home", so no I won't be selling my contract anytime soon. However, I most definitely will not be adding on any more points.

People who are renting out "spec" reservations will just add it to the overall cost of the reservation, if they can get it. At some price point, people will stop renting and just grab hotel rooms for the better cancellation policy. But since (I feel) most DVC owners are not valuing their points to rent high enough, a DVC rental is a much cheaper option for most. I think with the new pricing for OTU points we might see rental prices start to push into the range where people won't want to loss thousands of dollars if they can't cancel their rented DVC stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter