Is there a limit on luggage?

spedtchr

Earning My Ears
Leaving in 2 weeks. I was going to start packing this week. I have never flown. How is the best way to pack for the flight. Will they open our suitcases? Should I need to put my hygenic items in plastic bags as ususal in case of a spill? Please excuse my stupidity. Thanks for the help.

spedtchr said:
Leaving in 2 weeks. I was going to start packing this week. I have never flown. How is the best way to pack for the flight. Will they open our suitcases? Should I need to put my hygenic items in plastic bags as ususal in case of a spill? Please excuse my stupidity. Thanks for the help.
Different airlines have different rules. Check your airline's website. Typical rules per ticketed passenger are:
-- 2 checked bags, with weight and size limits (3 bags on some airlines)
-- 1 carry-on bag, with weight and size limits
-- 1 personal item (computer, briefcase, etc.), with weight and size limits

Pack your checked bags so that they can survive being thrown 20 feet, or dropped 10 feet, or buried under a bunch of heavy bags. They probably won't actually be treated that roughly, but they could be.

Be aware of the TSA security restrictions. There's a link in the sticky items of the DIS Transportation forum.

Do not lock your checked bags. The TSA must be able to open your bags for inspection, either because they see something with the xray scanner, or for a random check.

Do not put film in your checked luggage.

Don't check any valuable items, fragile items, or medications.

Put anything that you'll need during the first 12-24 hours into a carry-ons (swimsuit, one change of clothing, toothbrush, etc.). Luggage is seldom delayed, but it can happen.

Have a great flight and a wonderful vacation!

Definitely put things that can leak in plastic bags. The TSA will check randomly or if they see something through the x-ray. One of my bags was opened and checked. They do leave a note in your bag stating it was checked. I knew anyhow because I had a tye on it and it was gone and my disney pins were missing. Do not put anything of value or that is not replaceable in your checked in luggage. Also a lot of airlines are now charging if the bag is overweight. You might want to check with your bathroom scale before you go. The weight limits will be online at the website also.

If you are flying in cold weather, you are better off wearing your jacket/coat/sweater on the plane than taking up weight in your suitcase. You can then take off the coat and put it in the overhead or ask the attendant to hang it up for you (say please and they might if there's space!). Put your headscarf or cap in one pocket and gloves in another.

You will have to take off this jacket during the airport security screening (at least we do at Dulles) but it saves weight/space in the suitcase.

:paw: MHF :paw:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter