Is there a fee for canceling Flounders and CC excur. ressies...

ppony

Artist in residence
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
.. once you are on board? The DCL web site wasn't specific on cancelation fees and what programs and excursions would charge a fee if not cancelled 3 days before you sail.

I ask because my 2 year old might not do Flounders well. (long story and I know if ANY place on the planet can make him feel at ease away from us, it would be them :lovestruc ) If that's the case, I'll have to cancel the rest of our ressies while on board for Flounders and one for the only excursion I had booked for myself with the rest of my family. The stingray feeding at CC. The DCL web site wasn't very helpful so I KNEW you guys would be!

I've prebooked Floundrs before, then cancelled once on board without any penalty. I've always called them once we decided not to use them to cancel hours on a specific day. We were in a suite both times, so I don't know if there is any special exception for Suite folks, but it seems like something they deal with alot.

The excursion is another story. I thought all excursions were final and nonrefundable 3 days before your cruise (unless excursion canceled by DCL).
If you're really concerned, you may want to stagger your participation just in case. Or since the stingray excursion on CC is just an hour, perhaps you just keep that reservation and know that your little one will survive even if it's just an hour or so. You may have more flexibility staying in a suite, but I've only ever added, not canceled excursions once on board.

THANKS!!! And good point about the stingray thing. It is short. I'm hoping he'll surprise us and adjust fine, but he's NOT outgoing and extremely shy around strangers and even other children. :confused:;)

Our first test will be a Palo Dinner. Wish us luck and THANK YOU for your help!!!!

My DD had just turned 2 the week before our cruise last year, and she was just at a point of coming out of 1+ years of massive stranger anxiety. Though she was in day care during the day, she hadn't had other caregivers. The best thing we did was to take her to Flounders during the open house hours on the first night (the Magic has these, not sure of the Wonder.) We were able to go into Flounders with her and play on the equipment and with the toys, and she got to meet the CMs. We also played with her in Oceaneer's Club for some time that night as well to introduce her to the club. If the Wonder doesn't have that, I'd highly recommend seeing if you could do something similiar the first night on ship.

Going to the open house made the first drop off at Flounders very easy and she willingly went to play with a CM while I stayed at the door. I could see through the window that after a few minutes she realized I wasn't there and started looking for me, but the CM was very good at getting her distracted. Both times we used Flounders, when we went back to pick her up, we learned a CM had actually taken her to the Oceaneer's Club to play (under constant supervision.) Turns out she was one of the older kids in the Nursery that cruise, and she just did better in the Club than around all the babies since it was more like her school environmnet. We had to go to the Club to pick her up. We only used Flounders for 2 hours on 2 sea days so we could do Palo brunch or spa treatments, but my shy little princess survived and wasn't miserable or red faced when we picked her up so they found a way to keep her settled. Hopefully you'll have similiar luck!

My DD had just turned 2 the week before our cruise last year, and she was just at a point of coming out of 1+ years of massive stranger anxiety. Though she was in day care during the day, she hadn't had other caregivers. The best thing we did was to take her to Flounders during the open house hours on the first night (the Magic has these, not sure of the Wonder.) We were able to go into Flounders with her and play on the equipment and with the toys, and she got to meet the CMs. We also played with her in Oceaneer's Club for some time that night as well to introduce her to the club. If the Wonder doesn't have that, I'd highly recommend seeing if you could do something similiar the first night on ship.

Going to the open house made the first drop off at Flounders very easy and she willingly went to play with a CM while I stayed at the door. I could see through the window that after a few minutes she realized I wasn't there and started looking for me, but the CM was very good at getting her distracted. Both times we used Flounders, when we went back to pick her up, we learned a CM had actually taken her to the Oceaneer's Club to play (under constant supervision.) Turns out she was one of the older kids in the Nursery that cruise, and she just did better in the Club than around all the babies since it was more like her school environmnet. We had to go to the Club to pick her up. We only used Flounders for 2 hours on 2 sea days so we could do Palo brunch or spa treatments, but my shy little princess survived and wasn't miserable or red faced when we picked her up so they found a way to keep her settled. Hopefully you'll have similiar luck!
:hug::hug::hug:
FANTASTIC! I'll check to see if the Wonder has this. I would think so as it makes TOTAL sense to acclimate the kids. Other than the stuff you have to go to the first day, we have no plans. :thumbsup2You have made me feel SOOOO much better. Thank you SOOO much! And I'm glad your little lady wasn't any "worse for wear" from the experience. :rotfl: :hug::hug::lovestruc

Yes, you can do this on the Wonder as well. They open up on the first day of the cruise in the early afternoon and have sort of the "open house" thing. (also for the older kids in the clubs, too) This makes it so much easier on the parents, that is for sure. Both of my kids did the Flounders thing around that same age and didn't have any major problems. It is nice to be able to drop them off and then go around the corner and still see them through the one way mirror. I love that, and it always made me feel better. My kids both stayed in Flounders before they ever had a real babysitter in our home. :)

I highly doubt Flounders would charge you if you cancel. They never have for us, and they are very understanding with young babies/toddlers schedules and temperaments, so they "get it" that you feel better cancelling. Usually if they are full there is a waiting list, and they will fill your spot pretty quickly.

Hard to say on the excursion if they will charge you, sometimes they make exceptions, but I would always expect them to follow the rules but be happy if they made the exception. I agree with the above person who said that it is a short excursion and maybe your DS could handle Flounders for that short of a time.

I know how hard it is to try to plan ahead when traveling with toddlers. You just never know how it is going to go. I hope you have a good experience, Flounders and the staff is just wonderful, and if anyone can keep your little guy happy, it is them. :goodvibes

Gosh, you guys have done SO MUCH to make me feel more at ease. :hug: I'll make sure we attend the open house for sure! :goodvibes

NOW, if I can only get him through the 3 and a half our plane ride! :scared1:

Cancellation policy:
Palo--24 hour notice or charged
excursions--3 days before embarkation or charged
spa--24 hour notice or charged 50% of fee

Reality--if they can re-sell your excursion to someone else, they have been known to not charge it.

With the Stingrays I would ask the CM if you could include you son ( if he refuses to stay in Flounders) and still do the excursion. I saw that it was for 5 year olds and older but if one held him while the other played and fed the string raystThen you traded off he might enjoy that. You would need to get permission of course. It is an awesome experences I would hate for you to miss it.

With the Stingrays I would ask the CM if you could include you son ( if he refuses to stay in Flounders) and still do the excursion. I saw that it was for 5 year olds and older but if one held him while the other played and fed the string raystThen you traded off he might enjoy that. You would need to get permission of course. It is an awesome experences I would hate for you to miss it.

That's a great idea if we need to. THANKS Grandma! :hug:

I've already cancelled my spa ressies. :guilty: I just didn't want to chance it and my second Palo ressie (Brunch) is about 36 hours after the first one so I could cancel that should I need. THANKS! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter