• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there a Doctor at Disney??

scatt

Earning My Ears
Does Disney have a Doctor at the Resort, or a Medical Facility??

EVERYTHING is going around, and I am doing a little preventive Maintnance.

Thanks

In 1996, we were staying at Dixie Landings when my daughter started to run a high fever. We gave her asprin but it did not seem to help. We called Disney info # and they gave us directions to a medical center and offered to send a shuttle to pick us up. We had a car so we drove over ourself, maybe 15 min drive.
If you get hurt or seriously sick in the parks, they have facilitys there but there not a " walk in service ". I believe in the MK, they even have an under ground medical facility. It would be a good idea to review your out-of-state medical insurance coverage so there are so surprises.

My young DGD got ill enough to seek medical treatment. We called the number listed in the handout we were given at OKW check-in. They sent a free shuttle to our unit. They have several walk-ins in this chain so they call ahead and find out which one has the shortest wait time and bring you there. They then will take you to fill any prescriptions and back to your resort.

There is a clinic at the Crossroads that Disney sent us to when my daughter was ill. It is quite expensive and they would not take our health insurance. We later submitted the bill to our health insurance and were reimbursed.

We had a run of pink eye on our last visit. We went to the clinic. It even had a 24 hour pharmacy attached. It was all very expensive but we were reimbursed by our insurance when we returned.

The clinics in Celebration and near Crossroads are on the WDW Transportation map. We've been the one near Crossroads a few times and have been very happy with the treatment received. They asked if we need them to call WDW for a ride back to BWV, but had our own car. They are very familiar with dealing with resort guests.

This last time (since DH has changed companies) they took our insurance - only had to pay our regular $15 co-pay. We were reimbursed by our previous insurance co. but at about $100 for a visit, it is nice not to have to wait for repayment. The Celebration clinic didn't take our insurance. Our insurance cards have a 800 # to check for providers outside our home area.

We also used Walgreen's (other side of I-4) for my Rx. Since our insurance is on file at our local Walgreen's, they were able to use it too.

Hope you don't need the info!

We used CentraCare last December when DS2 was really sick. The doctor had a very kid friendly approach and we walked out of there with the needed medication. They were even within our network of doctors for our insurance plan -- cost us a total of $6.00 for the visit. Although I wouldn't wish a sickness on anyone, I know for us where we will return if the need arises.

In 1993, my son got very ill and they sent a doctor to our room! It sounds as if they do not do this practice anymore, unless we were just lucky.

D. B. Kelly

My Dad got really ill with the flu some years back, probably around 1992 or so. We were in the Ft. Wilderness cabins and he had a high fever and chills, was too sick to leave. The Disney folks sent "housedoc," an on-call physician. He was great! Attended to Dad in the back bedroom and prescribed some medicine and was on his way. They must still have someone they can send if you are too sick to go to them.

My friend's little son needed the ER this summer. He fell out of the bed in the middle of the night and cut his ear. They went over to the Celebration hospital because it was so close to their room at AllStars and the hour was so late. She is an RN and said the hospital was good. Beware everyone! Have housekeeping bring the free bedrails! :)

The "room service doctor" is still available. I think it depends on your comfort level. I've also read that it depends on what is the sickness is and whether additional testing would be required. In that case, I believe I've read that the doctor would do the order but it would be necessary to go someplace else for the testing. Might be something to inquire about.

If you ever, God forbid, should have something serious happen, this is what I was advised by the folks at OKW. Call 911 and then call the front desk. They will do everything they can to help the situation. They even said that they could probably arrange to drive folks to the ER since they know how stressful it can be trying to drive in a strange place when you have a crisis happening. If you are in the park and have an emergency, notify a security guard and/or any other CM you see. They know how to put things into action.

A few years ago (maybe 5?), my (then) 9year old son got sick with a fever and sore throat. I called (I forget whom!)and they told me that the house doctor could come to the room, but not until 5:00 that night, or that we could go to the clinic down by Crossroads. We decided to go to the clinic, thinking we would be in and out and I could get my son on medecine. Well, when we got there we were told it was a 3 hour wait! My son said he didn't want to wait, and wasn't feeling that badly. I used the phone right at the clinic to call back to Disney, and the 5:00 appointment was still available.
Sure enough, at a bit before 5, there was a knock at our DL door, and there was the doctor along with a female assistant - not sure she was a nurse. The doctor was dressed in a Mickey shirt, Mickey tie, Mickey watch, and right then and there I fell in love with him, lol! He was absolutely wonderful! Checked my son out thoroughly, and called in a prescription from the room, which was delivered to the resort desk within a couple of hours. The doctor gave us his beeper number (and I think his home phone number!)
and told us to feel free to call if we needed anything. My son's fever broke in the night, and the next day he was as good as new. We decided to go out a bit, and when we came back, there was a message on our phone from the doctor, seeing how Stevie was, and again, letting us know that we should feel free to call him if we needed anything.
I can't say enough about this doctor, or his assistant, and the care we got. This has put my mind at ease about getting sick in WDW. Hopefully, we won't need these services again, but it's nice to know they are there!
Relax, go on vacation, and know that if you need care, you will have it!!!!!

I get sick all the time when we go to Disney!:rolleyes: I have been to Crossroads, the med center that used to be near Downtown Disney, the Sand Lake Hospital, and had the in-room doctor. Nobody took my insurance :mad: but I did eventually get reimbursed for most of their outrageous charges:) I have had pneumonia, bladder infection, eye infection, sun poisoning, and swimmer's ear. Disney's people treat you very well, and bend over backwards to help you, even transporting you when needed. If you are going to get sick while in Florida, do it at Disney.

We have had the un-fortune of using Epcots EMS cart and the care center by Crossroads. Our then 2 year old (now 3) was running towards Epcot and fell, getting a golf ball sized egg on his head. The EMS golf cart came and gave ice and some TLC. He would not be dragged away from seeing Illuminations though....

Another trip, our 4 year old (now 5) started running a high fever which wouldn't come down, so we got checked out at Crossroads area clinic. We asked at desk and they gave us this brochure with several locations of this same walkin outfit listed.

Just another tidbit of info, if the injury happens to be one that affects mobility, it is probably best to have DVC front desk contact Reedy Creek Emergency services to send an ambulance. I had the unfortunate luck to sprain/fracture an ankle last year and the front desk directed us to the Centramed(?) location near the Crossroads. Though they do provide transportation, they will not assist you physically. We found out later that the correct procedure would've been to get an ambulance to a hospital ER. To me, I always thought an ambulance is for a life/death situation, but in retrospect, it would've worked out best for the ankle thing as well.

HTH!

hospital in Celebration. Three years ago my daughter fell sick while at Disney. She ended up staying ten days at the hospital. She had an Epcot view room, although she did not care. The doctors down there were able to correctly diagnose her infection in the spinal cord. Our local doctors could not. Anyway the Florida doctors saved her life and were very pleased with the service we recieved. The hospital bill was over $50,000 and it took a while to get BC/BS of Florida to pay it as we are from Michigan.

My grandson got sick last year (high fever & lethargy). We took him to the Crossroads Clinic, had to wait 4 hours, and were told that "it might be a virus, but who knows, here's some antibiotics to try". So after a $162 visit, plus meds, it turned out he had tonsilitis (diagnosed when we got home). I was not satisfied with their services and my daughter said if something happened again, she would go to the hospital emergency room. At least they take your insurance.

My sister sprained her ankle during our recent visit. We asked the WL Cast Member if there was first aid on the premises, and we were told there was not. I found it hard to believe that the only recourse for minor injuries is to call 911 (at Disney's expense)....but, that is what the cast member said to do (we chose not to).

Last year my wife was sick in the MK, and there was a nurses station that gave her some stomach medicine, so perhaps there is some first aid in the parks.

Have fun......:cool:

My DS got sick two years ago while we were staying at the BWV with vomiting and fever. We called the front desk and they said they could a) send a doctor to our room, b) go to the med center or c) call our pediatrician at home and have him diagnose over the phone and the prescription could be delivered to our room. We chose option C. The prescription arrived at our door an hour later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter