Is there a Disneyland expert who could help me...

Pinkerbelle8

Earning My Ears
Hello all!
Is there a Disneyland expert who could help me... to set up a one day touring itinerary/guide for Disneyland and California Adventure?

A little about us: we will be a group of 9. 4 adults who want most of all to make the kids happy, two girls (11 and 8 who are not especially into the princesses, but like them), and 3 boys (4, 8, 9 all of whom can appreciate CARS activities.)

My family (Pinkerbelle8) makes up 5 of the 9. My family usually goes to Disneyworld about once or twice a year, but this will be our first time at Disney in CA. We love Disney and like to go on rides that cannot be typically found at a run-of-the-mill amusement park. (For example: we can skip Dumbo, the carousel, etc.)

One or more members of our group want to experience the following: Space Mountain, Tough to be a Bug, CA Screamin', Winnie the Pooh, Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story Midway Mania, Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, Little Mermaid, Splash Mountain, Turtle Talk with Crush, Soarin', Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Monsters Inc M&S to the Rescue, Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mountain, Small World, Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies.

We also want to see Fantasmic, Disneyland Forever, Paint the Night, and World of Color.

Of course, our plan is to be there at park opening and leave at closing. When Disneyworld had Fastpasses, we frequently would send someone ahead to get Fastpasses while the rest of the party would ride other things.

I know that there are people who enjoy and kind of make a little hobby of creating these type of itineraries for Disney WORLD (I'm kind of one of them), so I was wondering if there were any experts in the LAND realm who could help me. (Planning for Disneyworld seems so much easier to me, as more resources seem to be available for planning.) What order should we get Fastpasses? What order should we experience the attractions in?

I thank you in advance for any and all help you can give me to create a MAGICAL day for our group!

Thanks,
Melissa

WDW is 10x harder to plan with ADRs, FP+ and everything set in stone..... it is getting obnoxious.

I'd head to Cars Land first for RSR and then Soarin'. If you are there at drop, you may not need FPs. Then you can get them and come back later. Maybe ride Screamin' as well.

Then head to DL to get the others.

One nice thing is you can hold FPs in each park, so if you have a FP for RSR you can still get a Space Mountain FP.

Getting in fireworks PTN, WOC & Fantasmic is going to be your biggest challenge. WOC might have to be the odd man out. The times do not mesh well (on purpose).

Planning stuff at DL is easier than at WDW. You don't have to know 6 months in advance where you'll want to eat on every day of your trip! And you don't have to reserve ride times! FP at DL is just like WDW's old FP system. No magic bands. No reservations.

What order you go on stuff really can vary a lot. Will everyone be going on the rides altogether or can some people go in the Single Rider line? Does anyone need to transfer on/off a wheelchair or scooter? Does anyone need a DAS card from City Hall? Is there anyone who won't be tall enough to go on certain rides, so you could use a Child Swap pass?

What time of day are you targeting each day to get into the parks? I've found that Ridemax works really well, but it is a subscription service that you have to pay for. And the Ridemax itineraries really do change a lot based on when your arrival & departure times at the parks each day.

Here's my suggestions on your must do rides:
DL
It's almost impossible to see Paint the Night parade, fireworks, AND Fantasmic all in one night. So if you are doing just one day at DL, pick either Paint the Night and fireworks or Fantasmic and fireworks.
  • FP - Space Mountain
  • FP - Haunted Mansion - normally, HM has no FP. But it's a bit more popular right now than normal because of the Hat Box Ghost special effect that was just added in late May right before Memorial Day weekend. Even without FP, the wait times at HM aren't that bad.
  • FP - Indiana Jones
  • FP - Splash Mountain
  • FP - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • FP - Fantasmic. There's a whole thread just about FPs for Fantasmic. You can get premium viewing locations through a dining package or just get a regular FP. The only viewing locations that are guaranteed to be sitting down is for the Blue Bayou dinner package, which is also the most expensive (and the BB viewing location is sitting on the ground, so keep that in mind if you have any people in your group with bad knees or people who have difficulty getting up from sitting on the ground). All other viewing locations are standing room only. Fantasmic! FP are "disconnected" from the other DL FPs, from what I understand. So you can get a Fantasmic! FP and also get other FPs at the same time.
  • no FP - parade or fireworks viewing. Paint the Night viewing is much less crowded for the 11pm parade, from what I've read on these boards. If you want to see the first parade, stake out your spot by 7pm. At least 1 person in your group has to stay with your stuff in your parade viewing location or you lose your stuff and your spot. So no leaving a blanket and then everybody walks away.
  • no FP - Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - if you can, ride this within the 1st two hours of park opening.
  • no FP - Peter Pan - this just reopened yesterday (7/1) after a refurb and is THE #1 hottest ticket in town right now. Wait times were reported online yesterday as being 70 minutes long just 10-15 minutes after park opening. So expect a long wait.
  • no FP - It's a Small World - if your Paint the Night & fireworks viewing spot is in Fantasyland near IASW, then you can take turns riding it in the hour before the Paint The Night parade and the wait won't be very long at all. When we were there in early June, we maybe waited 5 minutes.
  • no FP - Winnie the Pooh. You don't need one anyway. The wait time is usually never more than 15 minutes.
  • no FP - Pirates of the Caribbean. Wait times are often 15-20 minutes. If it's 45 minutes long for a wait time, that's a pretty busy day. But you can use the MouseWait app on your smart phone to monitor wait times throughout the day.
DCA:
World of Color FPs are, just like Fantasmic, disconnected from the rest of DCA FPs. So you can hold a WOC FP and a CA Screamin' FP at the same time.
  • FP - CA Screamin'
  • FP - Soarin'
  • no FP - It's Tough to be a Bug. The theater is pretty large and can hold a lot of people, so minimal wait for this. Parts of this show can be pretty unnerving and scary for younger kids, so just be prepared and maybe get a seat on the aisle so you can make a quick exit with your 4 year old if you have to.
  • no FP - Toy Story Midway Mania. Go on this first.
  • no FP - Little Mermaid. A "long" wait would be 20 minutes for this ride. The queue moves quickly.
  • no FP - Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies. This is a cool ride, but not a fast loader, so maybe try this in the late evening when little kids have gone to bed. Unless you have little kids who want to ride it, in which case, go on it in the morning.
  • You really should check out Radiator Springs Racers. It has FP.

One more thought on DCA:

1. Get to the park at rope drop. Get a FP for CA Screamin' and then go on Toy Story right away.
  2. After Toy Story, send runner to get WOC FPs...unless you're doing a WOC dining package.
  3. Then if your CA Screamin' FP hour has started, FIRST get a FP for RSR. THEN go on CA Screamin'
  4. After CA Screamin', check wait time for Soarin'. If wait time isn't too bad and you're willing to wait, get in line for that. Otherwise, go to Bugsland and go on Tuck & Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies, then see It's Tough to be a Bug

One more thought on DCA:

1. Get to the park at rope drop. Get a FP for CA Screamin' and then go on Toy Story right away.
  2. After Toy Story, send runner to get WOC FPs...unless you're doing a WOC dining package.
  3. Then if your CA Screamin' FP hour has started, FIRST get a FP for RSR. THEN go on CA Screamin'
  4. After CA Screamin', check wait time for Soarin'. If wait time isn't too bad and you're willing to wait, get in line for that. Otherwise, go to Bugsland and go on Tuck & Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies, then see It's Tough to be a Bug
This is awesome!

Are you only there for 1 day? If so, it might be hard to do all the nighttime entertainment as the new entertainment brings higher crowds than normal. If you have to pick due to crowds, do PtN and the fireworks. WoC is cool, but the parade is epic. Between Fantasmic and WoC though, I'd pick WoC since you at least have seen the WDW version of Fantasmic I'm assuming.

Disneyland/DCA is not half as hard to plan for as WDW. My touring style is to start at one end of DL and make my way to the other side, hitting everything I want along the way. With only one day, I'd start at DCA and get RSR either through FP or standby right away. The lines for it still get ridiculously long and it's the only ride that consistently runs out of FP early in the day.

Anyway, I don't have any tips that hydroguy hasn't already touched on. Just enjoy your time and see the things you can't see at WDW.

Are you only there for 1 day? If so, it might be hard to do all the nighttime entertainment as the new entertainment brings higher crowds than normal. If you have to pick due to crowds, do PtN and the fireworks. WoC is cool, but the parade is epic. Between Fantasmic and WoC though, I'd pick WoC since you at least have seen the WDW version of Fantasmic I'm assuming.

Anyway, I don't have any tips that hydroguy hasn't already touched on. Just enjoy your time and see the things you can't see at WDW.

This is my question as well - is it one day total or one day per park? If it's one day total, I have to agree that doing all the nightime shows would be almost impossible. If it's one day per park, it's doable. I also agree with which to see if you have to pick.

ETA: You can do all 3 of the DL shows (F!, PTN & Firework) if 1) you get FP for the 1st F! show, stay put for the fireworks (not the best place to watch from ) and there are 2 PTN and you see the 11pm one. It will be a long night with a lot of waiting, but it's doable.

Your biggest issue is going to be seeing all of the nighttime shows, especially with a group of 9. You're definitely going to have to cut one out, most likely two. People have been camping out for hours in advance of the Fireworks and PTN parade, so it's going to be hard to snag a spot for the many people without waiting a little while as well.

This is my question as well - is it one day total or one day per park? If it's one day total, I have to agree that doing all the nightime shows would be almost impossible. If it's one day per park, it's doable. I also agree with which to see if you have to pick.

ETA: You can do all 3 of the DL shows (F!, PTN & Firework) if 1) you get FP for the 1st F! show, stay put for the fireworks (not the best place to watch from ) and there are 2 PTN and you see the 11pm one. It will be a long night with a lot of waiting, but it's doable.
We are only there for one day. We would like to pack as much in as possible!

I agree you will not be able to do all 4 nighttime shows in the same night. BTW, what is the day you are planning to go? Unless it's summertime or Xmas break you won't have most of the nighttime stuff unless it's a Fri-Sun or a holiday like Labor Day. Given all you want to accomplish your best bet would be a summertime day that has a 7am early entry and DL closes at midnight. Having said that, you have a lot of kids to keep going for many hours - unless they are used to pushing through you may be setting yourself up for the final hours of extreme unhappiness.

In terms of picking a nighttime show, you have to choose WOC or PTN+fireworks. I agree skip F! as you can do that at WDW and there are actually seats at WDW. I just saw PTN+Fireworks and have seen WOC before but not the recent 60th anniversary show but I must say I was blown away with PTN and the fireworks so I'd pick that in a heartbeat even though it's harder to plan. If you really want WOC definitely do a dining package at Carthay Circle (lunch or dinner) so you can get the best viewing location with minimal time waiting. The regular FP's for WOC require you get there 1-2 hours early to get any sort of spot and with 9 people, mostly kids you will likely be miserable trying to get everyone there and happy. If you do PTN/Fireworks you will need someone to sacrifice their evening to get a spot for the fireworks/lay out a blanket somewhere and I'd honestly try for the early parade too given you have so many young kids who may fizzle out if you're trying for the 11pm parade plus I just don't see logistically how you will get a spot for 9 for fireworks if you are not doing the 1st PTN parade.

I'd stay on site for SURE so you can start with early entry at DCA and make sure your 1 day is a DCA early entry day (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat I believe). In that first hour you could cover quite a bit. Here is what I'd do:

DCA EE:
1. Toy Story
2. Screamin' (the younger kids who do not want to do this could ride Toy Story again or head over to Cartland to ride Mater- not my favorite but if there are Cars fans they will like it and want to walk around there)
3. Soarin' (you could get a FP later in the day too)
4. Monsters
5. By now it's probably time for regular open. Grab RSR FP's and head to DL. BTW RSR is down again - expect not to ride. We get to ride 1/3 of the days we try as often by the time it's back up, it is >1hr wait w/ a FP to ride since everyone who had FP's during the closure can use them anytime.

DL Regular open:
6. Grab Indy FP - if you absolutely have to do Peter Pan do it as soon as you can. The line builds to 45min within the first 1/2 hour of regular open and stays that way.
7. Have someone who couldn't care less about PP get in line for the Storybook Canal boats - a real gem I didn't try until my 4th trip and I absolutely love it.
8. Do storybook canal boats
9. Do Mr Toad's
9. Do BTMR
9. Do POC
10. Do HM
11. Do Indy FP return;
12. grab FP for Splash Mtn
13. Food break somewhere (I like Hungry Bear near Splash as well as Red Rockett's Pizza over at Tomorrowland)
14. Ride Pooh
15. Ride Splash
16. Get FP for Space Mountain (FP runner)
17. Take train to Toontown, look around. Ride IASW. (lines are really building now but oh well).
18. If your space window is soon, find other stuff to do until that window opens and ride Space. If it's a late night window then head over to DCA.

Back to DCA
19. Have FP runner get a FP for Grizzly River Run, Goofy's Sky School (like Space Mtn but in the light) or Soarin if you did to do it earlier.
20. Go to Animation Academy building to chill out - take a class (one of my favorite things to do), do Turtle Talk, get a snack/drink/smoothie and chill.
21. It's probably getting close to time for the Pixar Parade. Head into Bugs Land and ride some stuff - the lines go way down when the parade starts. Another option is to head over to Paradise Pier during the parade. Rides like Ariel's and Goofy's Sky school become walk on during the parade.
22. Grab some dinner and/or head back over to DL after the Pixar Parade is over if you want to do PTN/Fireworks. If you are doing WOC stay put. Have your WOC dining package dinner @ Carthay Circle, Ariel's or Wine Country Trattoria (again, CC has the best viewing location and is least crowded). Make sure your dining package reservation is early enough that you get the first WOC show if there are 2 scheduled. You will miss the fireworks if you do WOC but if you did the first WOC show you could make it back to DL for the 2nd PTN parade. (but the fireworks w/ projections are so incredible....)

Back to DL (if not doing WOC)
23. Assign your trooper(s) to find somewhere to hold a spot for the parade. Bring a blanket so you can map out the space as folks will crowd in if you are trying to hold for 9 people. Given the size of your group you may want to go near IASW but if you are lucky you could try for 2nd row behind people at hub. (I saw PTN from 2nd row w/ DD5 on DH's shoulders and we had a great view. The secret is we stood next to a stroller which was a great barrier)
24. Ride Space if your window is open.
25. Shop, grab dinner, ride things that have short waits (look at DL Waits or Mvusewait apps which are usually accurate)
26. PTN
27. Fireworks
28. Breathe.

FYI while at DCA if the kids are starting to go bonkers, head to the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail so they can check it out. Lots of fun things to do in there. Only the zip line has a wait and if during the Pixar Parade it's pretty short.

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughtful and detailed replies! I really appreciate it. We leave for the west coast soon so I am really thankful to have this information!

I agree you will not be able to do all 4 nighttime shows in the same night. BTW, what is the day you are planning to go?

Thanks so much for your beautiful, amazing itinerary ideas! We are going to Disneyland Thursday, July 23rd.

Note, Tough to Be a Bug is not currently showing, they have previews of Ant-Man in the theater now. I'm assuming this will be there for a few weeks and most likely when you are there on the 23rd.

I am so grateful for all the responses, as I has a similar question. Also how many days do you think is feasible to fully tour DL? We will be doing a 2 week California trip and want to do DL, staying at the resort. Do you think 3 days is enough to see both, or would 2 days do?
Thanks

I am so grateful for all the responses, as I has a similar question. Also how many days do you think is feasible to fully tour DL? We will be doing a 2 week California trip and want to do DL, staying at the resort. Do you think 3 days is enough to see both, or would 2 days do?
Thanks

To "fully tour" DLR I would say five days. To tour enough that you felt like you had a solid visit I would say three days.

Three days at DLR will feel like 5-6 days at WDW. Not enough to fully tour but enough to feel like you did a lot.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter