Is the Yeti working again?

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
I read a post on the DVC Miscellaneous board that said the Yeti swiped at them when they rode EE at the DVC party on 9/22. Can anyone corroborate this?

My understanding was that since the Yeti's base is broken but is surrounded by the track and the mountain (all three being separate structures), fixing the Yeti would involve dismantling all three and would thus mean a very long downtime for EE.

So, has Betty the Disco Yeti been miraculously repaired, or has the disco lighting been improved?

I rode Everest many times at that party and I understand what that person meant but I don't believe the Yeti was working. I think they amped up some effects with the lighting for the nighttime Everest that gave the illusion that the Yeti was moving. It definitely looked more prominent than it has our last few trips.

From what I understand, the problem with the Yeti is that the concrete foundation it sits upon has cracked. To fix it would take a major ride shut down lasting months. If it ever gets fixed, I expect we would all know about it well in advance.

I rode Everest many times at that party and I understand what that person meant but I don't believe the Yeti was working. I think they amped up some effects with the lighting for the nighttime Everest that gave the illusion that the Yeti was moving. It definitely looked more prominent than it has our last few trips.
I think you're right, or something along these lines. We rode EE at night twice on 8/28 and we could definitely see the Yeti more clearly than usual, and he also appeared to be moving more. Nice improvement but not The-Yeti-Is-Fixed! improvement lol.

If you've never ridden EE at night previously the Yeti will seem more visible due to the fact that your eyes are not adjusting from daylight to the darkness inside the ride. I noticed this several years back when I rode several times on an EMH night before they were staying open later all the time as they do now.

My daughter swears it moves also. they do have it in a great position to make it feel like it's coming closer but it's just the ride going past it. The hair also moves from the breeze a little so that adds to the illusion.

It's a foundation problem and I've kind of remember seeing a video piece where they said they need to dismantle part of the ride and mountain just to work on it. I don't see that happening to replace the foundation unless there becomes a safety concern about leaving it as it is.

I just rode it yesterday & the lighting/effects are greatly improved over what they used to be so it does seem to be moving, but it's not fixed.

Thanks, all! I knew it would have been more than major news if they had truly fixed it! But I'm glad they've improved the light effects. Makes the ride better!

Hello hello sorry baby I can't move a thing
I haven't been serviced in a while you see see
But but but it's OK there's a flashing light on me
Sorry if you wanted more it's only Disney

It's only Disney
It's only Disney
What more than a strobe would you expect at Disney?

Disco Yeti is my name this mountain's where I stay
I used to be ferocious now I'm just a display
They said they'd had some plans for me
They'd put me on TV
Then they hung me on the wall like Mickey's hunting trophy

Stopped moving not proving Disney's expertise anymore
Imagineers build what engineers ignore
Bob Iger's got tigers, rhinos, and giraffes by the score
So what's he need a working mythical beast for?

I'm Disco Yeti
Come fix me

So ride if you want but there's no more motion
You're just gonna find a mannequin
Been fried since they ended my promotion
Left me behind a mannequin
More meets and greets and some brand new suites
So that no one will mind the mannequin
Cause I'm stuck up above and I'm getting no love
An expensive kind of mannequin

Oh Disney when you built this park you used to be the master
Themed it like a master, fixed things so much faster
But Stitch and Zazu took over and it turned to disaster
On the scale of stellar, Wizarding World just passed you

Pleasure Island died when they took down the fences
Imagination's now a ride about the senses
But soon you won't be bothered by my disco dancing
They'll block my moves by building a pin trading station

Pin trading station
Pin trading station
Inside my ride they'll build a new pin trading station

Stopped moving not proving Disney's expertise anymore
Imagineers build what engineers ignore
Bob Iger's got tigers, rhinos, and giraffes by the score
So what's he need a working mythical beast for?

Stopped moving not groving
Luxo won't come out anymore
Nor does that "incoming" dinosaur still sore
Brakes locking, not knocking Test Track cones down onto the floor
'Cause half the time they're still flattened from before

I'm Disco Yeti
Jamboree sees more action then me

So ride if you want but there's no more motion
You're just gonna find a mannequin
Been fried since they ended my promotion
Left me behind a mannequin
More meets and greets and some brand new suites
So that no one will mind the mannequin
Cause I'm stuck up above and I'm getting no love
An expensive kind of mannequin

Mannequin
Ma ma ma mannequin
I'm froze in this pose so that nobody knows that I wasn't designed a mannequin

Last edited:
I heard once pandora opens Everest will have major yeti fixing rehab

This is what I was going to say^

Rhode has said he wants to get the yeti fixed..so I'm sure it'll be fixed in the next couple years. A good time to fix it would be once Pandora opens and Rivers of Light is smoothly running to give people other options while Everest is down

Agreed, that would take a load off Everest, and make it possible for them to take it down for long enough to make the needed repairs to it.

I just rode it yesterday & the lighting/effects are greatly improved over what they used to be so it does seem to be moving, but it's not fixed.

Agree. We rode EE a few times earlier this month. The Yeti is not fixed but they have made some improvements to him.

I remember reading they cannot fix it without dismantling a good portion of the mountain itself, no quick fix option.

I don't know much about Disney engineering (or Imagineering I guess), but I'm kind of surprised it was built so that repairs to the yeti would require major dismantling. That almost seems like designing a car that requires the engine to be removed when the battery dies.

Oh well, it's a bummer that it doesn't work, but to me it's not all that big of a deal. It's still a really fun ride.

There are many Everest effects that aren't working....the steam from the train, the mist at the top, and bird-on-a-stick are a few.

I think we all hope that Everest gets shut down for a year to fix everything.

I remember seeing it actually moving...what it does now, is not moving. They do have better lighting effects that make it seem like it is moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter