Is the Wishes viewing area a good spot for fireworks photos?

sharona

DIS Veteran
We have Wishes FP's for one of our MK nights. I've never seen the area and have no idea if it's too close for good pics or if it will be too crowded? Also I wouldn't want to block the view of anyone who used a FP for this...

My other thought was to just enjoy the show on this night and head to the TTC on the only other non MVMCP night and take my photos from there...

Thanks for the info. Anything in there that I could use with a tabletop tripod or will I need to bring my full size? One other question - I checked on Flickr and you took this at 24mm with a 6D? I'm not that familiar with Canon but I'm assuming that's a full frame? Do you recall if this was cropped? It looks pretty tight... My lens options from this area - on a crop sensor - would be 17-70 f/2.8-4 or 11-16 f/2.8 or 35 f/1.8. Thoughts on what to use?

Like @mom2rtk said, the key is avoiding the lampposts. You'll also need a full sized tripod as you will be shooting above the heads of other guests.

This was taken with a 28mm on a full frame with minimal cropping. I would use the Tokina 11-16 at 16mm. If I'm not mistaken this would be equivalent to 25.6mm on a Canon crop body. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) This was my favorite lens when I had a crop body.

Weekend Wishes
by Allen Castillo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Anything in there that I could use with a tabletop tripod or will I need to bring my full size? One other question - I checked on Flickr and you took this at 24mm with a 6D? I'm not that familiar with Canon but I'm assuming that's a full frame? Do you recall if this was cropped? It looks pretty tight... My lens options from this area - on a crop sensor - would be 17-70 f/2.8-4 or 11-16 f/2.8 or 35 f/1.8. Thoughts on what to use?

Yes, it's a full frame. And I cropped some but not a lot. You'll need to go fairly wide to include all of the upper bursts. You'll want to use the 17 end of your 17-70 or go with the Tokina.

Does it matter if you are on the left or right side? I've never used FP+ for Wishes but am planning to on the next trip. I don't think you get to choose which side when you make a FP+ so do they assign you a side and if not, which one would be better to pick for photographing?

You can choose to go into either the east or west viewing area. I shot from the west area in the above photo (Casey's side). Either should be fine, as long as you get as close to Main Street as possible).

Thanks for the info! I have to see if they have special areas for the ECV in thw FP+ area. If not, I'll stay close to Main Street. Luckily the ECV gives me extra space if I put the tripod behind it so no one can block the camera by standing right in front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter