Is the week leading up to Easter as bad as Christmas?

floridadream

Mouseketeer
I have a dilemma. We're trying to schedule a trip and unfortunately the only time that works is Mar. 19th-26th (the week leading up to Easter). We were trying to make it an extended family trip, but I think SILs family is bowing out due to crowds. My family are seasoned WDW visitors so we don't feel the need to be in the parks all day, but I don't think the rest of the party has the same mindset. So my question is this... How will the crowds be in relation to Christmas? Is it really that bad that we should consider not going? Again, my immediate family can probably handle it, not sure about the others. TIA!

Handling a WDW trip with multiple families is quite an undertaking, in general.

Add in the enormous Easter/Spring Break crowds (yes, Easter/Spring Break can bring near-Christmas-level crowds) and it can be overwhelming.

I agree with PP. We have to go then to because of hubby's schedule. I feel confident that we can handle it as there are plenty of noobs in the park you just need to outplan them. But with an extended group....its much more difficult. We went with SIL's family last year at February (President's day and Mardi gras!) Wasn't as bust as Easter but there were still some tense moments. It was ok because they know their way around, but it just made it tighter.

I haven't been during Christmas week, but that week before and after Easter are really really really crowded.

The weather is usually great though so that helps!

Everyone handles crowds differently. Some seem to enjoy it and love the energy and vibe. Others (like me) really dislike crowds and it detracts from their experience. I could probably find ways to enjoy a high crowd trip if it was my only alternative. But I would not want to be in charge of an extended family group during this time. Some will be fine with maximizing rope drop. Some will prefer late night. Some will be ok eating at off peak hours, some won't. Honestly, I'd probably bow out. (But then I wouldn't do an extended family trip during low crowds either! ;)) But I don't know your family. Only you can answer that.

I think it really depends. We went with extended the week before Easter in 2011 because it was school break for New England and it was crowded but manageable but that year Easter was near the end of April. I think when Easter hits in March during the height of spring break season, it is likely much more crowded. The most unpleasantly crowded WDW trip I've ever taken was in the third week of March a few years back and that was in a year when Easter was not falling around the same time.

We have been to DW the week before/leading into Easter and departing Easter weekend. We LOVED IT. Just got back Wed. night (day before Thanksgiving) and it was more crowded than our spring break trip where we arrived on the Thursday a full week before Easter and we departed on Sat. the day before Easter. It was GREAT!!!! Would do it again in a heartbeat. You could NOT PAY me to go the week between Christmas and Easter.

Just follow recommend park days using a crowd calendar. The weekend seemed more crowded at Epcot because of Flower and Garden, but still not as bad as Thanksgiving week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter