• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the San Angel Inn Really That Bad?

In fairness, we haven't been there since 2005 so things could've changed. We didn't love it but didn't hate it either. The food was just okay (not bad, but not what we were used to). The service must have been okay because I don't recall it either way. The main complaint I had was how DARK it was in the restaurant. I mean, REALLY dark, to the point of being annoying and distracting. I wouldn't give it a thumbs up but I wouldn't give it a thumbs down, either.

I went there in December and it was good. I will say I was disapointed when I got there after looking at the menu. I'm a picky eater and the menu I saw online wasn't the same as was there. There were only a few choices. I went for lunch. The food wasn't the same as the mexican places i've eatten at, which i've read here. What I got was good though. We sat at a table against the fence, so it was nice watching the boats go by. Our server was great!

I was at the rose and crown this past trip also. I think I would go to the San Angel Inn before I went there. Not that that was bad, it's just all I like from there is the fish and chips. And I can get better here. I might opt for the counter service at the rose and crown instead.

I just got off the phone, booking our reservation at SAI for our 5th anniversary dinner- 3/12. Our first choice was Le Cellier but it was booked solid (even for lunch!) Soooo... SAI it is. I've read some bad reviews, but not everyone has the same taste. Plus, my husband and I find the pictures of the inside intriguing. I'll have to post about our experience.

We ate there for the first time in November, '09 and it was one of our favorite meals. I had the Pollo A Las Rajas and it was incredible. I had read some bad reviews as well, so it was a pleasant surprise.

I could eat the Tacos de Cochinita Pibil appetizer until I was ready to burst!

The Mole Poblano is delicious, too.

And who can beat the atmosphere in there? Much like the Blue Bayou in Disneyland.

me and my BF ate there one our trip in September and we thought it was such a fun atmosphere and we both loved our meals! We would certainly go back there again! I've read both bad and good things about alot of restaurants at Disney that I end up loving so it's a personal thing. I would certainly try it out!:goodvibes

We had a very good meal at San Angel. I would go back again.

Here is my $.02. No, I have eaten there so I can not comment on San Angel Inn, but let me leave you with this:

People rave up and down about how wonderful Chef Mickeys is....breakfast, lunch, AND dinner, with breakfast being the best.

We ate at Chef Mickeys for dinner and it was YUCK! My DH, whom will eat anything under the sun, refuses to ever step foot in there again....for any meal. He was that disappointed AND disgusted.

Therefore, my suggestion is eat there and make that determination yourself. We have an ADR for June lunch at San Angel despite the bad reviews. I am leary of trying it because we are from Texas where the Mexican food here can not be beat and I love my local mexican restaurants.

We have eaten at Le Cellier (wonderful) and Teppanyaki (sp?) in Japan and they were both really good.

My goal is to try all the WS restaurants. I am leaving Germany and Morocco for last....that kind of food just does not strike YUM to me.

Ate there in 2005 and haven't since - bad food and service. Wish it wasn't thought the restaurant was beautiful.

Does anyone know if the chef has changed - maybe thats why there are more recent good reviews?

I was hesitant to eat at SAI because of all the reviews; I'm glad I did not listen to the reviews. I was glad this place was not like my typical around the corner Mexican restaurant offering $6 combination plates; I loved it and will certainly go back again.

I've learned to ignore reviews. I was almost chased away from Ohana because of negative reviews and loved the place. We almost stayed away from WCC because of reviews and loved it. We made an ADR for Le'Cellier and was never so excited to eat anywhere in my life; for me that was the biggest let down I have ever had at WDW.

I have no problem with San Angel. They no longer serve bagged chips. It's the same chips they serve at Cava del Tequila and they cook them.

I like the Aztec soup but I've never seen anyone else say they like it. It's been on the menu a long time though

I love that soup! I've been eating it since I was a kid. :thumbsup2 Yum

My husband and I loved San Angel Inn. It was our favorite meal out of a 7 day trip to Disney in December. This is only time we've been there, but we thought it was excellent.

We were both disgusted with Rose and Crown, food and atmosphere. We went there in December as well, and had an awful experience.

Of course, these are only our opinions, but I would definitely return to SAI.

I think that a lot of people have a problem with the fact that it's authentic Mexican food and not what they find at their local Tex-Mex dives for $9.99. You know the stuff covered with cheese and refried beans.;)

I took it off the list more for the wait that seems to be endless when we have a reservation here- and the kids said how much they missed it. So we're going back this trip. For lunch. The food was decent and we have always had great service. So it'll go back on the list.

Now I am questioning giving Rose and Crown another chance. We had an AWFUL meal there. But I was thinking of trying it again. Maybe not.

I think that a lot of people have a problem with the fact that it's authentic Mexican food and not what they find at their local Tex-Mex dives for $9.99. You know the stuff covered with cheese and refried beans.;)

I would second this also. We've never had bad service or a bad meal, perhaps a few bad selections for us because of heat levels but other than that no problems. We've had a lot worse food from Germany than here and everyone seems to love Germany. I say go enjoy the ambience of this restaraunt and have a good time.

We eat at SAI all of the time and have never had anything but a great experience and great food. That said, like so many other posts in this thread, rather than listen to me or anyone else, I think you need to experience it for yourself. That will be the only true test for you. How anyone else feels is really irrelevant. Being a critic of food is much like being a critic of movies. Everyone has an opinion about food and movies but in the end your opinion is all that is important.

Do yourself a favor and try it and judge for yourself.

Let me start by saying i LOVE mexican food and eat it all the time.

I went to San Angel Inn in 2005 for the first time and it was a GOOD mexican meal.

WELL.....THEN we went again in 2008 and it wasn't the same menu. It seemed as though there was very little mexican on the menu it was all seasoned steaks etc. I didn't even see a single burrito etc. We waited FOREVER for anything and the service stunk.

Since then we have stuck to the Mexican Counter Service right across the walkway and they ACTUALLY HAVE mexican food....Go Figure!!

I've been doing some research on SAI for our upcoming trip (10 days away, yay!) -- and it seems pretty evident from this thread and a few others that there was a change -- for the better -- in the food/chef/management, maybe somewhere around Sept 09?

It seems related to the new "tequila cave" next door -- which serves the high end margaritas, fresh chips and guacamole - and those now seem availalbe at the main restaurant...

Any other recent visitors confirm this?

Our kids love mexican/spanish food (DW is Puerto Rican) so we are going to give it a try. And i want a blood orange Margarita!

Will post when we get back!

I haven't been there in two years, but the last time I was there I just thought it was "meah"

We always go there for lunch because we are always in Epcot around lunch time, and in order to save money we tend to make it our main meal when we are there. I found that the lunch menu seemed very limited, and the portions were small. I always used to get the "Plato de Mexicano" and this last time it barely filled me up. Thank goodness for the chips!

The service was fine...We've never had a problem with service there.

On a side note...I decided to try the counter service at Mexico, and it was TERRIBLE. Even though it was jam-packed with people, the food didn't seem fresh. There were like two or three choices on the menu, and it took forever to get my mediocre meal. I ate it anyway because I was hungry and didn't want to spend anymore money to get another meal. :sad2:

However, I think the margaritas there are GREAT!!!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter