• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the sales tax at WDW 6.5 or 7 %???

tinksgilrs251520

I want to be at WDW
Was looking at some receipts from last trip and noticed when i figured the tax out one was at 6.5 and the other was at 7% where is the divide for the tax brackets at WDW .......:confused3

Most of WDW is in Orange County where it's 6.5%. Only a very small portion of it is in Osceola County where it's 7%. (In fact, I think only a couple of the resorts are in Osceola County.)

The northern boundary of Osceola Co is a straight east-west line running just south and parallel to Osceola Pkwy. All Disney parks are north of the Pkwy and are in Orange Co. (Animal Kingdom Lodge, not shown, is also in Orange Co.) Because Osceola Pkwy is a wavy road, the McDonald's just south of Osceola Pkwy, on W Buena Vista Dr, is in Orange Co. However, just south of McDonald's on Buena Vista Dr are the 3 All Star Resorts (All Star Movies is not shown), and they are in Osceola Co. WWoS is also in Osceola Co. Did OP stay at one of the All Star Resorts, or shop/dine there? That would explain the 7% tax.

OrangeCo-OsceolaCo_zps475b10c3.jpg

The basic Sales Tax rate in Florida is 6.0% and is on most goods and services. The counties have an option, by vote of their residents, to add a surtax of 0.25%, 0.5%, 1.0% or 1.5% to the state rate.

Orange County, which is most of WDW, has a surtax of 0.5% so purchases (including meals) are taxed at 6.5%.

Osceola County, which has the All-Stars Resorts and Wide World of Sports in it, has a 1.0% surtax so purchases at those locations are subject to a 7.0% tax.

In addition, counties are allowed to have a tax on transient lodging. In both Orange and Osceola Counties it is 6.0%, so all lodging except the All Stars is 12.5% while the All Stars, in Osceola County, is 13.0%.

Mike (CPA Retired)

Coming from a no sales tax state...its quite a ordeal for my kids to understand the sales tax thing lol
Wasnt aware that wdw was split like that..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter