Is the Price Difference Worth it? OKW vs. Other Villas??

ryandkris

Earning My Ears
I am so indecisive. We currently have a one bedroom at OKW booked. I like the size, and it is the cheapest. BUT I have read that the BCV have the best pools, and AKL has the savannahs. It seems a lot of people don't like OKW. Is OKW worth the price difference? What is special about it?

Thanks!

It depends on what you're looking for. All three are beautiful resorts, and they all have their appeal.

I love OKW because it's quiet. It's been there a while, and the landscaping has grown up around it. It has a really laid-back, lazy feel to it. Also, you can park right in front of your building and walk right into your room.

Olivia's is a great restaurant, and the main pool is nice.

BCV is our home resort, so obviously I love it there, too. SAB is incredibly, absolutely the best pool on property, and the rooms are decorated beautifully. I also love areas like the Solarium and other kind of quiet, out-of-the-way places they have there.

AKV is also great. We've stayed at Kidani, but we haven't done a villa at Jambo. The savannas are obviously really cool, and looking out your window at a giraffe is almost surreal.

Honestly? I'd hit up the DVC boards. Read reviews. Look at pictures. It all depends on what you want out of your resort. As you said, the villas at OKW are bigger, which is awesome. BCV has walking access to Epcot and DHS, or you can take the boat to either location. OKW has a boat to DTD. Also, OKW has large patios/balconies with enough room to sit four people. That might be something to consider if it matters to you.

You can't go wrong with any of the three, tbh. If you stick with OKW I know you'll have a great trip! :hippie:

I am so indecisive. We currently have a one bedroom at OKW booked. I like the size, and it is the cheapest. BUT I have read that the BCV have the best pools, and AKL has the savannahs. It seems a lot of people don't like OKW. Is OKW worth the price difference? What is special about it?

Thanks!

To me OKW is pretty, relaxed, well landscaped, and comfy. The villas are slightly larger than the other resort villas b/c they were the first DVC villas. THey started getting smaller after OKW. Its a good resort to relax and unwind.

As for AK.....The savannahs at AK are pretty awesome! Its hard to beat looking off your balcony and seeing the animals...but you will definitely pay more for that. To me, AK is almost like a destination unto itself. Even if you dont get a savannah view villa, there are lots of spots to sit and watch the animals.

As for BCV, it is famous for the sandy bottom pool, Plus you can walk to Epcot and HWS from there with in 10 mins.

I have owned BCV since being built. I love the location but the pool has a lot of negatives. If you have kids of different skill sets, it's a challenge here. And it's always so crowded.

OKW is nice. I love the room size and the big balconies but I am not thrilled with location and dated bathrooms.

AKV is by far my favorite for 1 bedrooms or larger. I love the pools here, having breakfast with giraffes is unique. If I were to rebuy DVC it would be at this resort.

I've never had a bad stay at any resort. I'm sure you will love your villa wherever it is.

I have owned BCV since being built. I love the location but the pool has a lot of negatives. If you have kids of different skill sets, it's a challenge here. And it's always so crowded.

OKW is nice. I love the room size and the big balconies but I am not thrilled with location and dated bathrooms.

AKV is by far my favorite for 1 bedrooms or larger. I love the pools here, having breakfast with giraffes is unique. If I were to rebuy DVC it would be at this resort.

I've never had a bad stay at any resort. I'm sure you will love your villa wherever it is.

We always go back & forth between BCV & OKW, we just got back from OKW this past June, tied in with our Disney cruise. We'll be at BCV in October for the F&WF, great access to EPCOT, & then back to OKW when we sail on the Dream over NYE. Can't go wrong with either as PPs have noted. ::yes::

We stayed at Beach Club, BLT and AkL jambo villas last time and we thought BC was "nice", the pool was just waaay to crowded, so we used the quiet pool. It was nice being close to Epcot. AKL villas are fantastic, savannah view is awesome, we would sit and watch the animals every morning. Loved it here. We liked the pool at AK, it's. HUGE! Not sure if BLT is an option, but its our most favorite. Having the monorail is so nice, and the rooms are fantastic. I haven't been to OKW but a bunch of people said it feels like a retirement community..... Not sure, again have only read about it. Have a great trip!

Thanks!
a lot depends on when you are going, if you are booking thru CRO or DVC, the makeup of your group (children, ages, etc), which parks you prefer, what likes/dislikes your group has (i.e., prefers quiet or lots of activities, loves or is frightened of animals, can't swim/can swim/competitively swims, enjoys eating in or out, etc).

more info please :)

I've stayed at all of the DVC resorts (you think I'd just buy in at this point!) and have found that I enjoy AKV the most. There is something awe-inspiring waking up to African wildlife grazing right outside of your window. It's a truly relaxing experience. Our unit (2 bedroom) was located in Kidani and having 3 bathrooms for 5 females was wonderful and the overall space was fantastic. DD (3.5 at the time) loved all of the activities, the pool, watching the animals - we could easily have spent 2+ days of downtime just exploring and taking in the resort.

The location is tucked off of the mainstream of things but it doesn't take long to get to your destination whether via bus or car.

my grandparents were some of the first to buy dvc and i have been to okw many times starting when i was about 10 or younger. i cant remember exactly.
it is a nice resort and the rooms are huge compared to akl and bcv. there are several pools, olivias is a good dining option. the main its not my favorite resort but i don't have anything negative to say. its a reliably good resort although it lacks some of the excitement of some of the others imo.

we have points at akl but have only stayed there once with our 4 year old because we find it inconvenient. we have stayed at jambo house 4-5 times over the years and kidani village once. we don't like kidani. our room was about 2 miles from the elevator...seemed like all the rooms were really far out. the rooms themselves were really nice with an extra bath (half bath?) in the 2 bedroom. we will stay at jambo house again but not kidani. last time was 2011.

stayed once at bcv but it was years ago. like.... 2004 or so? i like how (i think) the villas are not way off somewhere. having access to sab would be great for kids i think. this was not the case when i went but i see folks on here saying that the rooms are worn and in need of a refurb.

i don't think you will regret okw or any of them (i have to say i do regret kidani). i think next dvc trip we do we will give boardwalk inn a try. blt is a great option too.

We've had the occasion to stay at OKW, once a few years ago.... First time there, and sadly our last... Just wasn't, us!

Too too huge, internal bus needed to get around resort, food, lounge and main pool...

Our building had no elevator ( wasn't aware of this at booking ).... We were 3 families in a 2 bedroom on the 3rd floor with a 9 month old and all her stuff.... Up and down 3 flights of stairs a few times a day with strollers and what not just to go outside , not fun!

Resort rooms by themselves are wonderful, nicely appointed and thought out.... But just not Disney for us ( we've done 47 trips back then)..

Well, a decision has been made. Dh just told me he's getting home a week earlier. YAY!!!! (that's enough reason to keep me smiling for the next month!!) There was a VALUE one bedroom available at AKV for the same price as the OKW room! I know we're going to be in a much smaller room, but I really think the kids will prefer the magic of AKV.

We have three kids, ages 12, 11, and 2. The older two swim like fish, and the baby tries. ;) There is no way we would be able to afford it without the awesome military discount Disney gives, so we're very thankful for that.

MY HUSBAND'S COMING HOME IN 32 DAYS!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

The kids have no idea he's coming home early. He's going to meet us AT Disney. Hopefully, I can get a few Cast Members in on a fantastic surprise homecoming. :cool1:

Congratulations! I am so happy to hear of your husbands homecoming! I thank your family for his dedicated service to our country. He is a true hero. I hope you make many magical memories on your upcoming trip. Under the circumstances I think even if you were tent camping in monsoon season it would be a great trip just because your husband will be back. However AKV will definitely be special. Enjoy!

Congratulations! I am so happy to hear of your husbands homecoming! I thank your family for his dedicated service to our country. He is a true hero. I hope you make many magical memories on your upcoming trip. Under the circumstances I think even if you were tent camping in monsoon season it would be a great trip just because your husband will be back. However AKV will definitely be special. Enjoy!

You're definitely right. :) I can't wait. It's been a looooooong year.

What a wonderful surprise!! I'm so happy for you!

As for the resort, you will love AKV! Even though the room is smaller than OKW, the resort itself will make up for it! It truely is an amazing place and IMHO blows away OKW ;)

Have a great time!!

We really like BCV because of the location. We love the pool, of course, but like that we are near the Boardwalk too. We don't go to the parks everyday so on our non-park evenings we like to walk around the lake. I like the location too because you can easily walk to Epcot. Technically you can walk to DHS, but it's a little bit of a jaunt. We like the boats as a change of pace from waiting on a bus to go to the park.

Our home resorts are BWV and AKV. We like AKV and stay there often. The pool at Kidani is great if you have young kids because there is a splash and play area. I also like that there is a "cafeteria" type counter service option. To me this is handy on a pool day. We've stayed at Jambo and enjoyed grabbing lunch and being able to eat outside.

Personally, I like the resort feel to those choices versus OKW. OKW truly feels like a timeshare to me for all the reasons that people love it.

What a wonderful surprise!! I'm so happy for you!

As for the resort, you will love AKV! Even though the room is smaller than OKW, the resort itself will make up for it! It truely is an amazing place and IMHO blows away OKW ;)

Have a great time!!

Thanks! I'm so excited. I can't wait to see the kids' faces. :cool1: And really, I think I always wanted to stay at the AKV anyway, so I'm happy.

We really like BCV because of the location. We love the pool, of course, but like that we are near the Boardwalk too. We don't go to the parks everyday so on our non-park evenings we like to walk around the lake. I like the location too because you can easily walk to Epcot. Technically you can walk to DHS, but it's a little bit of a jaunt. We like the boats as a change of pace from waiting on a bus to go to the park.

Our home resorts are BWV and AKV. We like AKV and stay there often. The pool at Kidani is great if you have young kids because there is a splash and play area. I also like that there is a "cafeteria" type counter service option. To me this is handy on a pool day. We've stayed at Jambo and enjoyed grabbing lunch and being able to eat outside.

Personally, I like the resort feel to those choices versus OKW. OKW truly feels like a timeshare to me for all the reasons that people love it.

I'm expecting to have plenty of downtime. We've been several times, but this will be the first time we've ever gone full out. This year long deployment has really bit the big one. We've had so much stuff... It's kinda been unreal. We NEED a break. We need an escape. So, we plan on doing the parks, but we plan on taking it easy. We're cursed/blessed with the need for a guest assistance pass, and it makes doing the parks soooo much easier.

Anyway, I think we're going to be very happy at AKV. The resort seems to have so much to offer, and we get to be close to all the parks. :) So excited!

We've had the occasion to stay at OKW, once a few years ago.... First time there, and sadly our last... Just wasn't, us!

Too too huge, internal bus needed to get around resort, food, lounge and main pool...

Our building had no elevator ( wasn't aware of this at booking ).... We were 3 families in a 2 bedroom on the 3rd floor with a 9 month old and all her stuff.... Up and down 3 flights of stairs a few times a day with strollers and what not just to go outside , not fun!

Resort rooms by themselves are wonderful, nicely appointed and thought out.... But just not Disney for us ( we've done 47 trips back then)..

I know what you mean about not having elevators. Luckily we had our car so we just put the stroller int eh car instead of lugging it up and down the stairs constantly....a hotel with no elevators....what were they thinking???????

Thanks! I'm so excited. I can't wait to see the kids' faces. :cool1: And really, I think I always wanted to stay at the AKV anyway, so I'm happy.

You will LOVE AKV! Thy have lot of activities right there at the resort...story tellers, cultural representatives, games / education / fun stuff for the kids...great pool....fire pit at night...nice bar...night vision goggles to view animals...:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter