Is the Polynesian the same as it was 15 years ago?

Originally posted by Cinderella37
I think the reason why people believe the Poly looks/is dated is because of the decor/coloring. It's kind of 70s looking, which makes sense since it was built in the 70s. The GF, BWI, YC, etc. have a theming that is timeless. Victorian styling will be never be dated, as won't a nautical theme. But the Poly is the 70s version of a tropical getaway - I don't think WDW can do much to change this perception without tearing the whole place down (which will obviously never happen).

It's the same reason why when you drive thorugh a neighborhood, some styles of houses look dated, even though the owners may have updated them - you can't change the actual structure. But if you see a Victoian or a Colonial house, it's timeless.

When I stayed at the Poly in '72 and '74 (I think), the decor of our room was completely different than it is now. Back then it was done in mostly tropical greens. I really need to get to my mom's house and dig through her pictures to see what I can find!Q

My parents' pictures from their honeymoon in 1973, as well as a few trips prior and after, show almost the same Poly. The colors of the guest rooms may be a little different, but not much else has changed. All of the pictures from my childhood until my last stay in 1995 are practically exactly the same. Strangely, though, my pictures from 1996 and on from the GF do not look dated and everything looks pretty much the same as it does now (with the obvious exception of the room decor). I still think it's the general style of the resort that is dated, not just the changing or not changing of the room decor.

I think the reason why people believe the Poly looks/is dated is because of the decor/coloring. It's kind of 70s looking, which makes sense since it was built in the 70s. The GF, BWI, YC, etc. have a theming that is timeless. Victorian styling will be never be dated, as won't a nautical theme. But the Poly is the 70s version of a tropical getaway - I don't think WDW can do much to change this perception without tearing the whole place down (which will obviously never happen).

It's the same reason why when you drive thorugh a neighborhood, some styles of houses look dated, even though the owners may have updated them - you can't change the actual structure. But if you see a Victoian or a Colonial house, it's timeless.

What would be a timeless version of a tropcial getaway?

I will start out by saying that I think there are some valid arguments from people who have stayed there recently who say they have had bad service. There are still a lot of people who have had great experiences but that does not help those who did not. Also there are some that do not like the look and feel of the Polynesian and they are not alone so there would be no reason to tell them they are crazy for not liking the Polynesian.

Now if we go to the facts and leave feeling out of it than we can discount the fact that the design is 70’s or dated. Now if any of the rooms are worn it could be from the storm or it has just happened over the last 4-5 years.

First off with the 70’s description, none of the design was based off 70 decore or design except for the turquoise and yellow tile that use to be in the lobby and the furniture that use to be around the resort. Well all of that has been gone since the mid 90’s when they brought in some people from the Kaanapali Beach resort to help redecorate the Polynesian. This is when the rock replaced the tile in the lobby and all the rooms were gutted and redesigned with not a trace of anything that was in the room before. Here is what the rooms use to look like in the 70s.

polyroom_old.jpg

I think the thing that gets me the most is how some call the Polynesian resort dark, 70’s or (my favorite to hate) Brady Bunch. Ok so the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii once. Does that mean that all things Hawaiian are “Brady Bunch”? As far as 70’s, well the Polynesian was built in the 70’s and the 40’s- the early 70’s had a big Tiki pop culture but if you look at the original photos of the Polynesian in the 70’s on my web page you will see that when they updated in the mid 80’s they got rid of the 70’s stuff and replaced it with the same materials and colors that you would find in old Polynesia. They even order fabric and building materials from Hawaii for the Polynesian. Now the dark thing gets me almost as much as the Brady Bunch thing. I can not imagine the Polynesian being bright with pastel colors like the Grand Floridian. The Disney designers spent time in places like Samoa,Tahiti,and Hawaii to come up with the designs. The design for the Great Ceremonial House (GCH) was inspired by the royal assembly lodges in Tahiti. The longhouses were designed after authentic Hawaiian longhouses and is the reason the original houses did not have balconies outside their rooms.

The two newest longhouses are only 3 years older than the GF so if the GF old and dated? Even the fountain and plants were redone in the lobby just a few years ago. The whole center area of the resort was gutted and new paths were put in everywhere with the new pool added.

With in the next few years the rooms are going to be completely changed again but there is nothing old in the rooms now. In fact it would be hard to find anything at the resort that is original that you can see. Even all the wood on the outer surface of the buildings was pulled off and replaced when they were working on the buildings. The lobby is set to be completely redone with relocating stores and making new areas with a larger area for Captain cooks and a new arcade in the lobby area.

I realize people might remember the Polynesian as the same as in the 70’s but the facts are that it is not. When I think back I sometimes feel it is the same but looking at all the old photos and comparing to now there is not much that looks the same other than buildings are in the same place. There are many people who complain that the Polynesian has changed too much.

Again it is the right of everyone to not like the same things but some descriptions of the Polynesian that people state as fact just are not so if you want to come after me for sticking to the facts than be my guest.

Hi - I've been lurking a long time but I had to register and jump in on this discussion. I stayed at the Poly the first year it was open and many times since and it has most certainly changed over the years. I don't think of it as dated at all. When I think of dated WDW hotels I tend to think of the CR - but I know it has it's loyal followers as well.

The great thing about the Disney resorts is that there is something for everyone's taste. I think those of us that are Poly veterans find something special that maybe others don't always see and we get a little defensive over it. I know it will always have a special place in my heart.

I'm sorry to hear of so many being dissapointed in the Poly lately.

BTW Tikiman - I LOVE your sight - brings back many happy memories of sitting in that very GREEN GCH...

I think that the Polynesian is doing things on the cheap side and trying to charge primium prices and that is why there has been so many negative posts on the Polynesian. I was just there 3 weeks ago and the Cast Members seem to be the worst on property, it seems to me that the Polynesian does not train there CM's properly and it defenently shows. I really do not have a problem with the theme of the resort I think it is kind of cool but the rooms are nothing special and if it did not have its dynamic location no one would stay there at all.

The Polynesian resort has definitely been updated through the years. Granted, it is expensive. But you get what you pay for. The resort is not large by comparison to some of the other Disney resorts. It's easy to get around. It's also not dark like the WL or AKL. The pool is also fantastic, contrary to what others have say. Plus there is the quiet pool if you want less kids. I was there in June 2002, a very crowded season, and the volcano pool was not wall to wall people. The rooms are large and clean. The staff was very gracious and accomodating. The grounds are by far the most beautiful of all the Disney resorts. We are now planning our 2005 trip and we will stay at the Polynesian again.:earsboy:

Originally posted by Tikiman
I will start out by saying that I think there are some valid arguments from people who have stayed there recently who say they have had bad service. There are still a lot of people who have had great experiences but that does not help those who did not. Also there are some that do not like the look and feel of the Polynesian and they are not alone so there would be no reason to tell them they are crazy for not liking the Polynesian.

Now if we go to the facts and leave feeling out of it than we can discount the fact that the design is 70’s or dated. Now if any of the rooms are worn it could be from the storm or it has just happened over the last 4-5 years.

First off with the 70’s description, none of the design was based off 70 decore or design except for the turquoise and yellow tile that use to be in the lobby and the furniture that use to be around the resort. Well all of that has been gone since the mid 90’s when they brought in some people from the Kaanapali Beach resort to help redecorate the Polynesian. This is when the rock replaced the tile in the lobby and all the rooms were gutted and redesigned with not a trace of anything that was in the room before. Here is what the rooms use to look like in the 70s.

polyroom_old.jpg

I think the thing that gets me the most is how some call the Polynesian resort dark, 70’s or (my favorite to hate) Brady Bunch. Ok so the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii once. Does that mean that all things Hawaiian are “Brady Bunch”? As far as 70’s, well the Polynesian was built in the 70’s and the 40’s- the early 70’s had a big Tiki pop culture but if you look at the original photos of the Polynesian in the 70’s on my web page you will see that when they updated in the mid 80’s they got rid of the 70’s stuff and replaced it with the same materials and colors that you would find in old Polynesia. They even order fabric and building materials from Hawaii for the Polynesian. Now the dark thing gets me almost as much as the Brady Bunch thing. I can not imagine the Polynesian being bright with pastel colors like the Grand Floridian. The Disney designers spent time in places like Samoa,Tahiti,and Hawaii to come up with the designs. The design for the Great Ceremonial House (GCH) was inspired by the royal assembly lodges in Tahiti. The longhouses were designed after authentic Hawaiian longhouses and is the reason the original houses did not have balconies outside their rooms.

The two newest longhouses are only 3 years older than the GF so if the GF old and dated? Even the fountain and plants were redone in the lobby just a few years ago. The whole center area of the resort was gutted and new paths were put in everywhere with the new pool added.

With in the next few years the rooms are going to be completely changed again but there is nothing old in the rooms now. In fact it would be hard to find anything at the resort that is original that you can see. Even all the wood on the outer surface of the buildings was pulled off and replaced when they were working on the buildings. The lobby is set to be completely redone with relocating stores and making new areas with a larger area for Captain cooks and a new arcade in the lobby area.

I realize people might remember the Polynesian as the same as in the 70’s but the facts are that it is not. When I think back I sometimes feel it is the same but looking at all the old photos and comparing to now there is not much that looks the same other than buildings are in the same place. There are many people who complain that the Polynesian has changed too much.

Again it is the right of everyone to not like the same things but some descriptions of the Polynesian that people state as fact just are not so if you want to come after me for sticking to the facts than be my guest.

Totally agree. Many do not like the AKL due to the darkness of the decor, the coloring, etc. But please do not insult the hard work put forth by the designers to make the AKL look like an authenic African Safari Lodge. Basically if you have never seen an Africian Safari Lodge or studied the decor how would you even know what it was suppose to look like.

I think many that critize the decor at the Polynesian Resort have little or no knowledge of authenic Polynesian decor. If you don't care for the decor that is your opinion and everyone is entitled to dislike anything. I don't like chocolate ice cream, that does not make it bad or wrong, I just don't like it. I might not find the decor at the Polynesian to my liking but I would never critize the fact that it is authenic.

Originally posted by Sammie
What would be a timeless version of a tropcial getaway?

Take a look at at some resorts in tropical locations, such as Fiji and Hawaii and you'll find your answer.

I don't like chocolate ice cream, that does not make it bad or wrong, I just don't like it.

Um, I don't think anyone said that the Polynesian is "wrong," I think that we were stating our OPINIONS as those of us who have stayed there as children and returned in later years. Wrong was never even used. Some of us have perceptions that lead us to believe that we wouldn't feel as satisfied staying there now as we did as children. That's not wrong either. I'm basing my opinion merely on the feeling I have about the resort. I haven't stated anything about service or upkeep, as I haven't stayed there in over 9 years and am not qualified to make that distinction.

Sammie, I believe that I remember that you work for Disney (if I'm worng, I apologize, as I must be thinking of someone else) and defend the company you work for and that's fine (in fact I often find myself defending Disney and I'm not even a CM). But I'm a teacher and I can still admit that public education isn't perfect.

The representatives from Kaanapali Beach Hotel that were brought in to help with the new decore in the early 90’s was responsible for most of the look for the Polynesian and they were nicknamed the most Hawaiian Hotel. Also I have been to many of the islands and I always see things that look just like things at the Polynesian. Are you saying you have never seen things on the islands that are like things at the Polynesian?

I'm not saying that at all, but I'm stating my opinion that when I think of tropical, I have a different interpretation, that's all, and that's why I don't stay there. My tastes run more to marble and crystal. Many people qualify that as stuffy (such as the GF and BWI) and so be it. I believe that the Poly is rather tropical looking, as that distinction can encompass a wide variety of styles. But back to the original poster's question, I was disappointed returning to the resort as the years went by because my tastes and interpretation of the resort had changed. I'm just giving my opinion and personal experience, folks, no reason to turn this into a debate.

Um, I don't think anyone said that the Polynesian is "wrong," I think that we were stating our OPINIONS as those of us who have stayed there as children and returned in later years. Wrong was never even used. Some of us have perceptions that lead us to believe that we wouldn't feel as satisfied staying there now as we did as children. That's not wrong either. I'm basing my opinion merely on the feeling I have about the resort. I haven't stated anything about service or upkeep, as I haven't stayed there in over 9 years and am not qualified to make that distinction.

Sammie, I believe that I remember that you work for Disney (if I'm worng, I apologize, as I must be thinking of someone else) and defend the company you work for and that's fine (in fact I often find myself defending Disney and I'm not even a CM). But I'm a teacher and I can still admit that public education isn't perfect.

I most certainly do NOT work for Disney. I am a frequent guest and have stayed at all Disney resorts. I do know people that work at Disney.

My point on the ice cream is that chocolate is not my flavor, I guess for some the Polynesian is not their flavor either. But I would never say that because I don't like Chocolate ice cream it is a dated flavor that should be changed. I guess I feel some critize the Polynesian decor not because they don't care for that type of decor, but because they feel it is not accurate hense wrong. That was my point.

I think the reason why people believe the Poly looks/is dated is because of the decor/coloring. It's kind of 70s looking, which makes sense since it was built in the 70s.

Hey, the 70s are back in style, aren't they? ;)

Originally posted by Tikiman
I think the thing that gets me the most is how some call the Polynesian resort dark, 70’s or (my favorite to hate) Brady Bunch. Ok so the Brady Bunch went to Hawaii once. Does that mean that all things Hawaiian are “Brady Bunch”?

I thought by Brady Bunch or 1970s style they meant color scheme: dark brown, orange, olive green, etc.

I most certainly do NOT work for Disney.

Sorry Sammie, I don't know why I thought you worked for WDW. You seem to have the inside scoop sometimes, which probably made me think you worked for them. Sorry for my confusion.

Originally posted by jeancbpugh
I thought by Brady Bunch or 1970s style they meant color scheme: dark brown, orange, olive green, etc.

That's what I always assumed. It's not the fact that they went to Hawaii, but that they typified the fashions (I guess I could call them that) of the 70s. The Brady Bunch has become synonymous with oranges, browns, drab greens, and yellows due to the design/color of the house and the clothing in the later episodes. If people thought the Poly looked like the Brady Bunch because the characters went to Hawaii, the same could be said for the Grand Canyon, the West, camping... Have I watched too much Brady Bunch??

Sorry Sammie, I don't know why I thought you worked for WDW. You seem to have the inside scoop sometimes, which probably made me think you worked for them. Sorry for my confusion.

Not a problem, we go a lot, we know people that work there, just as many others on these forums do. They don't pay enough for me to work for them and I would never work for a company run by Eisner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter