Is the New Art of Animation Resort Available to Book With Points?

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
I've been looking at the points charts for the moderate WDW resorts and I don't see anything posted for the AoA resort. I know this is considered a value (I think) resort, but we can also book Pop Century using points. Is the new AoA available to book using DVC points? If so, can someone point me to the points chart?

According to promotional videos released to travel agents, they are considering Art of Animation a Value Plus resort.
With the largest resort pool on property, interior access corridors, being 2/3 family suites, and with a really upgraded food court - it is definitely a step up from the other Value resorts.

DVC members can book Deluxe resorts, and Moderate resorts - but no Value resorts. There aren't many members that would find Value resorts an attractive use for points - there is no way they would make Value resorts less a Studio - and at 12 points a night or so in the lowest seasons - I can't imagine 5-8 points per night for a Value resort would even be worth the hassle for DVC - it just doesn't seem like a very good option.

If AoA were available, would you book it using points? Since this resort is a dramatic improvement from the other value resorts, I am thinking I would do it! (gasp!). It sleeps more people, upgraded food court, different theme. You have to take the bus to everywhere from AKV now, what would be the difference? For less points, this would be tempting.

According to promotional videos released to travel agents, they are considering Art of Animation a Value Plus resort.
With the largest resort pool on property, interior access corridors, being 2/3 family suites, and with a really upgraded food court - it is definitely a step up from the other Value resorts.

DVC members can book Deluxe resorts, and Moderate resorts - but no Value resorts. There aren't many members that would find Value resorts an attractive use for points - there is no way they would make Value resorts less a Studio - and at 12 points a night or so in the lowest seasons - I can't imagine 5-8 points per night for a Value resort would even be worth the hassle for DVC - it just doesn't seem like a very good option.

DVC will never allow a WDW hotel to be less points than a DVC generally a 1-bedroom.

that would include AoA. remember most of its rooms are suites

We are currently staying at the BWV and we went to visit the AoA Sunday night. As previously posted, it's simply a value resort with expensive family suites mixed in. As for the upgraded food court, I guess plastic plates and real metal cutlery are a step up, but not worth the trip in my opinion. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend DVC points there. If you want to stay there, pay cash. That being said, the icons outside we're pretty cool. The Cars land is not open yet but we were able to see inside the area. I loved looking at those but I can't see me staying there for more than one night. I'm spoiled by DVC accommodations. We have stayed a couple of nights at the ASM family suites. Not impressive at all.

We are currently staying at the BWV and we went to visit the AoA Sunday night. As previously posted, it's simply a value resort with expensive family suites mixed in. As for the upgraded food court, I guess plastic plates and real metal cutlery are a step up, but not worth the trip in my opinion. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend DVC points there. If you want to stay there, pay cash. That being said, the icons outside we're pretty cool. The Cars land is not open yet but we were able to see inside the area. I loved looking at those but I can't see me staying there for more than one night. I'm spoiled by DVC accommodations. We have stayed a couple of nights at the ASM family suites. Not impressive at all.

I agree, I would only book this on cash, too. But, being spoiled with DVC I don't think I could do it, lol. Unless it were just for one night perhaps, otherwise I don't think I could enjoy it as much as DVC..

I am also staying there one night, pre-DVC stay. It is a Saturday night, too, so saves me the higher Sat night points on a 1BR.

Look forward to checking it out, we will be there in Oct, so it will be all open.

The last I checked, AoA suites were generally 75% of the cost of a Deluxe room. And looking again, their rack rates are nearly identical to Ft Wilderness cabins (which are classified as a moderate). The cabins take 33-60 points a night in 2013. In general you can get an OKW or BWV standard 1BR for a bit fewer points, so AoA would only be something different to use a lot of points on. (and only a possible point savings for a family of 6 vs a 2BR)

The last I checked, AoA suites were generally 75% of the cost of a Deluxe room. And looking again, their rack rates are nearly identical to Ft Wilderness cabins (which are classified as a moderate). The cabins take 33-60 points a night in 2013. In general you can get an OKW or BWV standard 1BR for a bit fewer points, so AoA would only be something different to use a lot of points on. (and only a possible point savings for a family of 6 vs a 2BR)
So if the rack rates are identical to Ft. Wilderness, why wouldn't they include points similar to Ft. Wilderness ? You could accomodate more people in the AoA suite than in a 1 bedroom BWV/BCV/VWL. What am I missing?

Just looking at July 2013: ft wilderness cabin is 40/46 points (weekday/weekend). Boardwalk standard 1BR is 30-35 and a 2BR is 41-48. A very small savings for a family of 6 vs a 2BR in 2013 for a unit that is 2 rooms normal hotel rooms big vs a 2BR that is sized like 3 rooms) we know that non-DVc points go up every year so that minor savings would disappear soon.

(OKW is 30/36 and 40-48) if you were concerned about sleeping 5 or availability..)

Disney's brilliance just dawned on me. I also thought it was a mistake not calling AoA a moderate.. But Disney has built up the Value brand enough that they can get more demand with expensive value rooms vs moderates. If it were just price and amenities then the Ft Wilderness cabins would be impossible to book. Instead Disney is getting people to book because "Disney says it is a Value, so we're getting a great deal."

If I could book an AoA suite for 30 points or less, I might because I like variety. But I don't see that happening.

Just looking at July 2013: ft wilderness cabin is 40/46 points (weekday/weekend). Boardwalk standard 1BR is 30-35 and a 2BR is 41-48. A very small savings for a family of 6 vs a 2BR in 2013 for a unit that is 2 rooms normal hotel rooms big vs a 2BR that is sized like 3 rooms) we know that non-DVc points go up every year so that minor savings would disappear soon.

(OKW is 30/36 and 40-48) if you were concerned about sleeping 5 or availability..)
OKW doesn't have a food court or the huge number of pools like AoA. So there is some appeal to staying at AoA vs. OKW. We will know soon enough as people are already booked for the summer. Can't wait to hear about the reviews.

So if the rack rates are identical to Ft. Wilderness, why wouldn't they include points similar to Ft. Wilderness ? You could accomodate more people in the AoA suite than in a 1 bedroom BWV/BCV/VWL. What am I missing?

It is a Value resort and we cannot use our points for Value resorts. The FW cabins are classified as a Moderate resort. That is the difference.

As others have said, if you want to try AoA book a cash night or two...maybe over a weekend to save the higher DVC points. That is what we will be doing in October.

OKW doesn't have a food court or the huge number of pools like AoA. So there is some appeal to staying at AoA vs. OKW. We will know soon enough as people are already booked for the summer. Can't wait to hear about the reviews.

OKW was built without a slide, but DVD eventually added the sandcastle slide.

There are aspects of values and moderates that may be reasons to not purchase DVC. I enjoyed previous stays at AS sports and that value food court >>> any DVc QS. Plus values get daily mouse keeping (and towel animals). And some of the theming was fun!). I've heard some people say CSRs slide is better than most DVC too. But there are overall reasons to prefer DVC. Overall I think I would prefer OKW with jacuzzi tub, laundry and full kitchen and more space, but can see why some may want other options.

Well I will report back! I check in this Saturday for one night pre BCV in a Nemo Suite. I am super excited! I have eight nights booked in a 2 bedroom at the BCV starting Sunday but I got excited and added a night at AoA!!! I can't wait!!!

I would be willing to book with points if the points costs were reasonable but I have yet to see one that was for these type of reservations. While I don't expect any of the values to be available, it wouldn't totally surprise me if they did. It also wouldn't surprise me if they attached a DVC option to a value at some point, esp AoA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter