Is the Mickey's Christmas Party worth it?

slg

DIS Veteran
We'll be in WDW in December and the party is on many of the nights we are there. It sounds very similar to what happens at DL at Christmas (which we've done several times).

Is it worth it? And if we don't go to it, will the park be too busy during the day? or would it be better to avoid MK on a party day?

Need advice.

Thanks.

We loved the MVMCP, we loved the shows and they had characters that you don't see very often. I don't know how crowded the park is on that day, we slept in that day and went to the pool and went to the park about 4pm, had reservations at CP at 5 and then went to the party. We always do MK on our last night so we went to the party that night and it isn't very crowed so you can ride everything you want several times, in fact. But, I'v also heard people say that they did it once, wouldn't do it again, but we would.

Went this December. On the last night. The lighting of the castle was spectacular. The parade was fun. The cookies not so good but because it was soooo cold the hot chocolate was wonderful. The lines for hot chocolate and cookies were longer than the lines for the rides. We walked on Space mountain 3 times in a row.

It did not get hard to move around until the start of the fireworks. We were stuck. So we went and had a dance with Pluto and Goofy. It was overall a nice evening and I think it would have been a nicer evening a week or so before the last party of the year. There were a lot of people but no more than normal.

I would say that if you have not done it then do it. It is worth the price just to hang with the characters at the dance parties. Our 5 year old nearly died when Pluto picked her to dance with.

If you aren't going to the party, I'd avoid the park at least from mid afternoon because party goers are allowed to enter the MK at 4.
We enjoy MVMCP and go each year.

Honestly, I don't really think it is. It used to be great. Now...not really. It's at the point where I can't encourage people to spend all the extra money on it.

If you want to go, you should go. It's not terrible or anything. The fireworks are nice, the show is okay and the parade is good (though it is better viewed in the sunlight.)

If you live in a place where it doesn't snow, it might be fun to pretend that it is snowing. :) Being from a place where we get 18,000 feet of snow every week, I don't even want to see the fake soapy stuff. But, again, I could see it being entertaining.

And you get all the cookies you can eat. :)

It depends on when you are going. I have been told that during the last weeks of December they have the same parade then at the party. The fireworks are a little better but not worth the money. As for the shows, again I don't think they are worth the extra money.

It also depends on what type of tickets you are using during your stay. We have annual passes so it really isn't worth the cost for the party. If you don't and you use the party ticket for a day then it might be worth the party. You can enter the parks for the party at 4pm.

Good luck on your decision, Beth

We had been years ago and loved it, but since then ticket prices have gone WAY up. Went to DW this past fall and decided against it-we decided to do rope drop every day and had small kids with us and felt that they couldn't stay up late enough to warrant the extra expense---Note: if you decide against going to the party, you need to carefully plan which day you are going to the MK as it will be closing early for the party and on those days they will most likely not offer an evening parade. We love the Electric Light Parade, and during our 5 day stay it was offered only one night.

Totally not worth the money.

It's an EMH with a parade and cookies and luke-warm cocoa.

Don't get me wrong, both this and the MNSSHP are fun, but they are a total ripoff for what they charge.

Back wehn it was $35 and you get alot more for your money, and they really capped off ticket sales..YES..
Not anymore
Overpriced, oversold and not at all enjoyable for us anymore.IF you are a first timer that has never seen it, sure it is worth a trip.
The castle lights are the best part, and you don't need to go to the party to see them, they light them every night at around 6-615pm...they are not exclusive to the party

We find it a great deal for us. We usually use MNSSHP/MVMCP as a relaxing day..sleep in go to DTD, take a nap and then use the ticket for a 4pm entry to the MK. MVMCP and MNSSHP we do both TWICE while there and we do not have unlimited budgets. WE really enjoy these parties. Most rides are walk ons, the characters (if your into that aspect) are in different attaire then the norm,the castle shows are great fun and so are the parades and fireworks. HOWEVER for MVMCP if you're going closer to christmas you can se the same parade during the day.

I think it's totally worth it. The parade is awesome and the shows along with the characters are great. Then to top it off, the snow fall on Main Street is just magical. It just makes you feel like a little kid again. We would do it again.

I wish I knew the answer to this question myself OP:confused:
I have to make ADRs here pretty soon (may 19) and I can't make up my mind on the party which I need to do because my plans on which park/which day all revolve around that:upsidedow I know alot of people make ADR's for several times/dates and cancel as it gets closer but I really hate to hog spots I wont use, plus husband's only must-do is the Luau dinner show and we need to pay ahead of time for that so I feel it's really important for me to decide on either my party-itenerary or non-party itenerary for which park/which day because the Luau and everything else gets completely switched around depending on if we do party or not.

I'm bringing husband and 10 and 14 year old kiddos for our first time ever to WDW and hubster has an attitude about disney and it took lots of convincing him to "give it a shot" and let me book the trip already. Because of the fact that this might be our "once in a lifetime" I really want to do it up. We're staying 7 nights at the Poly (nov 15-22):cheer2: I'd hate to not go to the party because I don't want to regret it later and it's not so much the cost. The reasons why I'm not sure we'll do it is because our arrival day is the ONLY day we could do the party and I'm just not sure if we'll be exhausted or pumped up. It could be really really good and fun or a mistake and waste of money. sheesh. decisions decisions
If we do the party we'd basically just be using it like an EMH evening to do rides but also the parade and fireworks. Not too excited about the characters or shows. I just think it would be super neat to have the family's first ever walk into the gates of MK, to be during a Christmas party. My kids have never been on one ride at WDW either so that's what we'll be focusing on.
I just don't know. I wish i could make up my mind though and really need to decide before May 19th!

Here's my advice on the Christmas party....

If you aren't going to have the opportunity to see the parade and fireworks that are offered during this time...then go! Both are awesome! The parade is hands down my favorite of ALL of the parades WDW offers! :goodvibes We aren't into characters much...but if you are there's some good ones to be found at the party!

But if you're going to be there after the parties end you can see the parades then. We plan our Christmas trip so that we can see it.

If I was going in November I would definitely work the party into my budget! And if it was a once in a lifetime trip no way would I miss it!

We love it. The DVC/AP discount, makes it slightly better. We can't wait to bring DD in December for it, even though she'll only be 1.

We loved it (and MNSSHP) mainly because the park seems so desserted and you can pretty much walk right onto all rides over and over again.

The lights, decorations, parade etc are all so magical! But if you have done it several times at DL (dont know if its the same or not) then maybe you want to save the money for a full park day?

However, I would do both every year if I could. It's such a great family tradition I think!

We have gone the past 3 years and really enjoyed it, but I am worried about it this year since Toontown is closed and gone. I'm worried that the crowding is going to be miserable. We lost Mickey's Twas the Night before Christmas show in Tommorowland after the 2008 season. That show was fantastic and a big draw and kept a decent sized crowd occupied for a significant period of time In 2008 we went to the first show and were let in a hour before the show started and the auditorium (now torn down which is why the show left) was full within 5 minutes. To put it in perspective, last year on a sold out night we walked up to the "replacement" show mid show and were able to move as close to the stage as we wanted- it was wide open space. Clearly, the new show is not a big draw. (In fact, we watched a few minutes and left as DD (5), who usually loves shows- i.e. I have lost count of how many times we have watched Dream Along with Mickey but I'm pretty sure it is double digits- wasn't impressed.) So we had already lost one attractrion that kept at least part of the MVMCP crowd occupied for a time, and now we are losing a whole section of the park that based on my experience drew in a significant portion of the MVMCP crowd and keep them occupied for a decent amount of time.

We (and many other people in our experience) have always spent a good deal of time in Toontown during MVMCP. Mickey and Minnie were there in their holiday clothes for pictures, and until last year when they posed together, that involved a separate line for each of them. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White were there with their Princes for a meet and greet (the Princes are what make it unusual and a big MVMCP draw); and the Fairies were there usually with a shorter line than during the day. With Toontown gone, a whole section of the park with popular MVMCP lines that kept a significant number of people occupied is now gone. The fairies have currently left MK. Further, Mickey and Minnie and the Princesses have moved to Main Street which is traditionally a congested disaster during MVMCP. So, you have now added all the people that normally are in Toontown and off Main Street seeing Mickey, Minnie and the Princesses, to the already horribly congested and miserable MVMCP Main Street. We really don't want to skip MVMCP as we usually like it, but we are a little worried about whether it will be worth the cost, or whether we will be sorry we went if we go this year.

The parade is adorable, the castle show is cute, and it is fun taking pictures with the characters in some holiday or different wear (We loved Aladdin as Prince Ali!). If you are going for the rides, the lines are not usually that long. The Cookies and hot chocolate lines are usually not that long either. The dance parties can be fun, but the best one for us was the one with Cinderella's step mother and step sisters which they got rid of when Ariel's Grotto area was closed down for the expansion.

We went last year for the first time and IMHO it's not worth it. Save your money. It's overpriced and overcrowded. For what's supposed to be an "exclusive" event, they sell way too many tickets to it.

The parade was nice but you needed to get your spot about 45 min. before it started to get a good view. And that was for the later parade which was supposed to be less crowded. So that wastes alot of time.

The lines were long for most rides and the character meet n greets. And it was completely packed for the fireworks show. The cookies and hot chocolate are not that great either.

The park was less crowded during the days and non-party evenings during our stay.
This is one disney event we will not do again. I wonder if the Halloween party is better?

The parade was nice but you needed to get your spot about 45 min. before it started to get a good view. And that was for the later parade which was supposed to be less crowded. So that wastes alot of time.

In 2008, we were there on a sold out night and tried to get a spot for the early parade one hour ahead of time. We could not find a spot ANYWHERE along the parade route at all-we walked the whole route trying. Not even a couple of rows of people back. We gave up and went to Toontown. For the later parade, we did the hour again and were in the 2nd row back of people on main street. That experience is one of the things that kind of has me in a panic about how bad it is going to be with Mickey, Minnie, and the Princesses moved to Main street too.

The DW and I went for the first time last year. We went to the very first one and we loved it. Thought it was great! Got us into the christmas spirit a little early. Some are saying well it's not worth it for the parade, fireworks, etc. However I think if you've never expirenced it or looking for something new to do, it's at least worth one try. We walked around got to do some of our fav rides with ease, we got to meet the 7 dwarfs and meet santa goofy. It was great! However I would of liked to stay to the end, DW though crashed around 10:30-11 or so. She was ready to go back to the hotel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter