Is the Gatwick Hilton better since it was refurbished?

UKDEB

Moderator Emeritus
It's years since we stayed there and we've always preferred the Sofitel, but we're wondering whether it's time to take the Hilton out for another spin.

It very much depends on which room you are allocated. They have not finished the renovation yet.

The old rooms are, well, old and showing their age - outdated furniture and lots of scuffs. Dingy old bathrooms. The renovated rooms are more typical high-end Hilton quality - dark woods, nice soft carpets, modern bathrooms.

We got allocated an old room (probably because we booked a cheap rate on Hotels.com?) and I was disgusted at the state of it. We complained and got moved to a new room and - WOW - the difference was remarkable. The new room was (in my opinion) marginally nicer than a Sofitel Gatwick room (where I have stayed at least 10 times in the past 18-24 months).

No answer but watching with interest to see if anyone else does... We're stuck between these two for our september trip too! :goodvibes

Thanks, oceanscape. That's interesting, particularly as we'll be booking via Avios and getting it free, so to speak. What did you make of the public spaces? We're a bit tired of the bistro and lounge bar at the Sofitel and we're wondering if the Hilton offerings might be a bit better since the refurb.

we always stay in the new wing of the Hilton Gatwick and its really good. Bathrooms are excellent, beds are comfortable if you can manage to sleep through the excitement of going on holiday:) The new wing houses the delux rooms and we always splash out for the executive rooms with access to the lounge and breakfast included. Our airport hotel is part of our holiday and we love it.:thumbsup2

The public areas are fine, refreshed and a Costa coffee added. The new rooms are very nice, the older rooms are just that, tired and in need of refurbishment. The new wing is defiantly the place to stay, although its a bit of a hike from the bar!

although its a bit of a hike from the bar!

Not with an executive room...access to the lounge with free drinks!!! Trust me that really is not too far from the rooms:laughing: Thats why the executive rooms are worth the extra because you only have to have a couple of free drinks and you've made your money on the room...plus they bring out nibblespopcorn::

Have stayed in a new wing room and it was BEAUTIFUL. Yes, it was a bit of a trek to the main building, but the bright, airy room, the comfortable bed, and the view of planes landing were worth it.

Then last year, stayed in a ground floor room near reception overlooking a interior courtyard. It was clean, although a little tatty and quite dark, but the worst thing was that the air conditioning did not work. Or rather it did, but was belching out HOT air, even on the supposedly freezing cold setting. We called engineering out to fix it and they stopped it getting any hotter, but the room was still hot and stuffy and the A/C wasn't really cooling it, just circulating the air about.

We were planning on staying at the Hilton before we go in November, but thank you for the info on the Executive Rooms/Lounge as looking at the offers available it is well worth upgrading to this when we book.

We were planning on staying at the Hilton before we go in November, but thank you for the info on the Executive Rooms/Lounge as looking at the offers available it is well worth upgrading to this when we book.

If you just book the delux room on line you will be given the option to upgrade to the executive room/lounge with breakfast for about £20 extra should there be a room available. We normally go in November and have always been offered and got the upgrade! So don't automatically book the executive one. The exutive room is exactly the same as the delux you just get the added extra's...breakfast is good!!:)

Having never stayed in either before, we've picked the Sofitel this time :goodvibes

Thank you for making me think about it though - OH's plan had been for us to stay at home and get a taxi to Gatwick at 4am or some ridiculous hour! As that was going to be the best part of £60, I'd rather pay a little extra and be in a hotel :thumbsup2

We are staying there before our trip in November. I got a good deal including breakfast for £90 minus a quidco discount. Would it be possible to upgrade when we book in on the day, the loung bar sounds really good. What is the usual upgrade price as we won't need the breakfast as we already get that?? What would I need to ask for, its just for two of us.

Thanks,

Cath :thumbsup2

We are staying there before our trip in November. I got a good deal including breakfast for £90 minus a quidco discount. Would it be possible to upgrade when we book in on the day, the loung bar sounds really good. What is the usual upgrade price as we won't need the breakfast as we already get that?? What would I need to ask for, its just for two of us.

Thanks,

Cath :thumbsup2

That sounds like you maybe in the standard rooms so to get to the executive lounge it may be a quite a big increase as its two upgrades! But for that price it sounds good. The buffet breakfast has a huge choice. I think we paid around £180 mark for the executive room with breakfast!!! But they are really nice rooms and the upgrade for a suite is approx £20. It seems a huge increase but they do bring out a buffet so you don't have to pay out for an evening meal at the hotel or terminal if you want to save yourself for the breakfast and you can help yourselves to drinks, be it tea, coffee, beers etc. Its also really relaxing in the lounge. They may well offer you an upgrade to the delux rooms in the new wing for a small fee..if not ask..I am sure they would rather fill a delux room for extra money then leave it empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter