Is the Dream unsinkable?

Rogillio

DIS Veteran
Sailing on the Dream on 15 Sept and have been thinking about sailing into the storm.

With all the modern technology, is the Dream unsinkable? In the movie Poseidon Adventure, a rogue wave capsized the ship and she sunk. Pretty sure they have radars to detect such phenomena and could turn into the wave. Be a heck of a ride but you would not roll. If the ship did 'roll', would it right itself or would it remain upside down? No idea. I'd hate to be in the AquaDuck when she rolled and be trapped in a tube 90' underwater! :-)

Assuming all "systems" (engines, electrical, pumps, navigation, etc) are functioning I cannot think of how a hurricane could sink the Dream. If nothing else, the ship could outrun or flank the worst of the storm.

Thoughts? Opinions? Fact?

I'm not sure any ship is unsinkable.

"She's made of iron sir, I assure you she can sink"

Certainly under the right circumstances she could sink....we saw that a few years ago with the Concordia.

BTW, someboats are unsinkable. I have a tritoon (pontoon boat with three toons) that is virtually unsinkable as each toon has multiple sealed chambers and you'd have to breach almost every chamber in all three toons to get her to sink. But she is still not unsinkable. But I used to have an aluminum fishing boat that was unsinkable. She had stryofoam on the wall and under the floors and seats and it was quite literally unsinkable.

No ship is completely unsinkable. But cruise lines try their best to keep their ships out of the way of hurricanes. Obviously, there were lapses in judgment made in 2012 with Hurricane Sandy, but I think DCL has become more cautious after that.

So tell me about Sandy. We sail on the 15th of Sept...the first Dream sailing after the cancellations. My concern is DCL might be a little too anxious to get the Dream sailing again and making money and send us into the jaws of Jose - the storm behind Irma. My only concern really is motion sickness as my sister, my daughter and myself are VERY prone to motion sickness.

Sure it's sinkable, I'm sure that Disney will make sure that she is out of the way of Irma, and they don't need the lawsuits IF the ship sinks. As far as motion sickness, I suggest you contact your Doctor for the prescription patches, my wife uses them and she as never had a problem

So tell me about Sandy. We sail on the 15th of Sept...the first Dream sailing after the cancellations. My concern is DCL might be a little too anxious to get the Dream sailing again and making money and send us into the jaws of Jose - the storm behind Irma. My only concern really is motion sickness as my sister, my daughter and myself are VERY prone to motion sickness.

I wasn't on the Fantasy when it happened. There are plenty of people on this board who were. Check out youtube for videos of what it was like. My understanding is the captain thought he could safely stay ahead of the storm and make it back to PC. The storm shifted and they ended up in the middle of it. Other cruise ships in the area had decided not to risk it and sent their ships out of the way of the storm. It's seen as a horrible lapse of judgment on the part of the captain and the higher ups that the Fantasy didn't do what the other ships did.

Certainly under the right circumstances she could sink....we saw that a few years ago with the Concordia.

BTW, someboats are unsinkable. I have a tritoon (pontoon boat with three toons) that is virtually unsinkable as each toon has multiple sealed chambers and you'd have to breach almost every chamber in all three toons to get her to sink. But she is still not unsinkable. But I used to have an aluminum fishing boat that was unsinkable. She had stryofoam on the wall and under the floors and seats and it was quite literally unsinkable.
If it gets weighed down enough, it would sink.

Exactly the quote that came to my mind when I saw the thread title!

Truth is large ships are extremely well designed, they can stand up to far worse seas then us landlubbers would imagine. IMO the most amazing video I have seen is of some guys just sitting in their deck 3 oceanview cabin on a cruise ship (not sure which line or ship) and the waves are hitting their window. That isn't the amazing part, the amazing part is when the water completely covers their window and goes dark, showing they are under tens of feet of water. They just knock on the window and say "good engineering". That to me sums it up.

But then I'm the guy who would be pulling up "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" on my phone while rocking in the waves and laughing. If I got my ideas of what was safe from 70's disaster movies then I would refuse to go in to a skyscraper unless OJ Simpson was around to save me (Towering Inferno).

I think the bigger concern is, in what kind of shape will Nassau and Castaway Cay be a week from now? Seems Nassau is poised for a direct hit, and Castaway being at the north side of the storm is also very, very bad.

Not to mention, if Port Canaveral takes a direct hit, there may not be a way for the ships to get back in there by the 15th. The Dream has cancelled two upcoming sailings, as has the Fantasy. My guess is they will head far away from port and all the storm paths after they disembark all passengers today.

If Jose is threatening the area, your sailing on the 15th will either be cancelled or modified.

But, yes, the Dream can sink. ALL ships can sink under the right conditions (although, "rogue waves" are not something that you will find in the shallow waters around the Bahamas, for the most part).

I wasn't on the Fantasy when it happened. There are plenty of people on this board who were. Check out youtube for videos of what it was like. My understanding is the captain thought he could safely stay ahead of the storm and make it back to PC. The storm shifted and they ended up in the middle of it. Other cruise ships in the area had decided not to risk it and sent their ships out of the way of the storm. It's seen as a horrible lapse of judgment on the part of the captain and the higher ups that the Fantasy didn't do what the other ships did.

Ouch! Yeah, that's a tough call when you are dealing with predicting the weather. If he had gone to a port and waited it out and then the storm turned out to be nothing then many people would be angry because they missed their flights home for 'no reason'.

If you are having thoughts like this I suggest not cruising. you'll drive yourself nuts.

Thoughts like what? Sinking? I would consider that the adventure of a lifetime! I would have loved to have been on the Concordia when she sunk. I mean how many people can say they've been on a sinking cruise ship?! We've been on about 15 cruises and nothing 'exciting' has ever happened....never been a fire or set adrift with no power, never been in a bad storm or even had to change course or ports of call. I think the closest we ever came was in Stockholm when we had to change our departure time from the port so we didn't get stuck when low tide came.

I think the bigger concern is, in what kind of shape will Nassau and Castaway Cay be a week from now? Seems Nassau is poised for a direct hit, and Castaway being at the north side of the storm is also very, very bad.

Not to mention, if Port Canaveral takes a direct hit, there may not be a way for the ships to get back in there by the 15th. The Dream has cancelled two upcoming sailings, as has the Fantasy. My guess is they will head far away from port and all the storm paths after they disembark all passengers today.

If Jose is threatening the area, your sailing on the 15th will either be cancelled or modified.

But, yes, the Dream can sink. ALL ships can sink under the right conditions (although, "rogue waves" are not something that you will find in the shallow waters around the Bahamas, for the most part).

You are absolutely right. Yesterday I found a map (on line) that showed exactly where CC is and I think they are gonna get hammered. The good news is they have had time to prepare. But still, if the cabanas and various huts and building get hit with 150+ mph winds they will end up in the drink! Which means it is doubtful we would stop at CC....which is a real bummer, especially with a 2 day cruise! And if Nassau get pounded, they are not going to want 4k tourist coming ashore while they are trying to recover. Oh well, plenty to do on the ship. And if they do cancel the port(s) of call, I'm sure Disney will do something 'special' on the ship....maybe sneak peak new release movies or something.

Thoughts like what? Sinking? I would consider that the adventure of a lifetime! I would have loved to have been on the Concordia when she sunk. I mean how many people can say they've been on a sinking cruise ship?! .

Well ultimately 30 people never were able to evacuate Costa Concordia in a live state. :( So it doesn't sound that exciting to me.
Seeing pictures of the abandoned ship is so creepy knowing the panic and terror going on around those walls...

However... it is in a ship's nature to sink. The opposite of floating is to sink, so a ship can only do one of two things: Float or Sink.
Sort of like how toast can be seen as Burnt/Not!Burnt and Canada only has two seasons: Winter and Not!Winter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter