Is the dollar effecting your trip/planning?

Fortunately everything was paid off before the dollar nose dived for us. Now it will just be food and souveniers and cruise tips and excursions that we pay for now.....sucky but what does one do?

:scared: Ummm yes. Last week we were 80% yes to going at the end of May, then we got the 40% off pin code on friday and we were 90% yes on going. But with the dollar going the way it is, we are now going to make the decision in March since the code is good until the end of that month. The dollar is what's holding us back to calling them up and making the ressie.

I too paid off my balance early because of the dropping dollar now I just need to start getting money changed over.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an at par deal soon. They are even offering specials deals for us agents for the remainder of the year. Since their fiscal year ended Sept 30 if they can get the 1st quarter up then the rest of the year won't hurt as bad.

NO.

We are so glad we bought DVC back in May this year. It would have cost us over 3k if we were to buy it today.:banana:

I have an ABD booked for next July and I'm freaking out. Its $15,000 US for our family of 5, so every day that trip is costing us more and more! I'm hoping the US dollar will drop a bit before we have to make our final payment.

I also have a DCL baltic cruise in 2010, but that's a long way away.

Does it affect my plans? YES! I'll still go on the ABD (unless they cancel due to poor bookings) but I'm cancelling my one night pretour and doing it on my own. I can save about $800 that way.

I will also cut corners in other ways. Cruise, less excursions or cheaper ones, or just on my own...

We will probably still go and less the dollar disappears, but definitely will be getting less money from us overall.

I'm just so nervous about this economic crisis...if I didn't have a non-refundable deposit on my ABD I would cancel.

We're going in December, and back when we booked the trip the dollar was pretty much at par. The room (cabin) and tickets are paid for, but we are driving down and will need to buy food and souvenirs once there, so our budget is looking pretty tight now - the exchange rate means everything will now cost 20% more than we'd planned. We're kinda unhappy about it but don't think we'll cancel.

Teresa

:scared: Ummm yes. Last week we were 80% yes to going at the end of May, then we got the 40% off pin code on friday and we were 90% yes on going. But with the dollar going the way it is, we are now going to make the decision in March since the code is good until the end of that month. The dollar is what's holding us back to calling them up and making the ressie.

Be careful when doing that, each hotel has only a certain amount of rooms available with that discount, and they might be gone long before the end of march.

Yes, I have the 40% as well. I want to book a room before the code comes out in the US. I may end up losing due to the $$ if I cancel, but that will be a chance I take. I am just trying to decide what I want to book. Luckily, I DO have a US $$ account through ING, so I take advantage of the $ when it is high(er) Who'd have thunk that the 91¢ was going to be a good rate, when I traded some a few weeks ago? :confused3

If DD continues on her quest to go to Dalhousie for marine biology, I may be one of the Canadians headed east next summer. :) If so, I'll need LOTS of help next spring/summer with planning!

We are going in January and didn't yet pay off our trip. We were waiting for any deals. So this huge drop in the $ will affect us.

We will now be doing much less and no extras like BBB or any extra meals that are not covered by our credits on the DP. I want to postpone our trip but we promised the kids and DH said we can't break our promise, as well that is the only time we can truly go without much problems from our workplaces.

If Disney doesn't come out with any good codes and the Canadian $ keeps going down we may have to cut our 13 day trip down to a week. We keep hoping for a good deal to come out.

Even though I'm a U.S. citizen I can feel your pain. I was planning a trip to Toronto this past June. Between the high Gasoline prices everywhere, the economy, and the weak US dollar, that trip got canceled. Now that the US dollar is gaining strength, I am looking at going in June 2009. Unfortunately, I will need to apply for either a passport or passport card before going. Last time I went to Canada was in 2005 and the exchange rate was about $1.20 The time before that it was $1.45.

Even with the exchange rate, WDW is still cheaper than a lot of other vacations. :)

Great googly, what other vacations are you taking?

Me, I'm a spending wimp. I'd love to at least change hotels, but the wife and mother-in-law say no.

I agree with fivebyfive. We have taken the kids (we have 4) for a week at Disney and on a Disney cruise and they have been 2 of our "cheaper" vacations! For what you all get, it is a well priced vacation IMO.

I agree with fivebyfive. We have taken the kids (we have 4) for a week at Disney and on a Disney cruise and they have been 2 of our "cheaper" vacations! For what you all get, it is a well priced vacation IMO.

I absolutely agree! We took a 10 day holiday to Vancouver Island this summer and it cost 6000.00. That is staying in Best Western's etc also!:scared1:

It is cheaper for us to drive to Disneyland and spend a week there than it is to go to Vancouver Island. The kids had never been there so we took them. Our dollar will be travelling in other directions now.:goodvibes

We only do a trip like this every 3 or 4 years, so we're going ahead and doing everything we've planned to do, even though it's definitely going to cost us more.

When DH and I went in 2004, the USD was around $1.55 CND - that was one expensive trip and there was no dining plan back then! We were not planning to go next year but received a 40% off code which is enticing. It is hard to decide though and there are no guarantees that our dollar is going to rise again anytime soon. We are going to Australia next March and the nice thing is that our dollar is worth more than theirs, however, the airfare kills you (plus, it is in USD)!

Just an FYI. Tickets are still being sold at par at the Disney store so even though they are more expensive than some of the discount brokers in the states with the exchange right now it is actually cheaper to buy them here. Just in case anyone needs tickets

Great googly, what other vacations are you taking?

Have you ever priced out a family to an island? My SIL booked a trip to Jamaica last year, ran her just shy of $9,000 for her family of 5. This year, she's staying at the Poly for a LOT less.

For what you all get, it is a well priced vacation IMO.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. Compare WDW prices to places such as Niagara Falls and WDW IS cheap. :thumbsup2

No kidding fivebyfive - a weekend, yes a weekend for my family of 6 would be over $2000 at Great Wolf Lodge.

5 nights and a 5 day hopper pass at Disney is $3000.

I would spend the extra $1000 for 2 more nights, WAY more activities and the Florida sun any day!

Yeah I really want to book a trip for November 09, but im not sure what to do yet. I went last in May of this year and it was pretty much at par, so its burning my butt to have to pay for it when the dollar is so low. I guess I will just put down my $200 deposit and hold off and watch the dollar and hope that it goes up!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter