Is the corkage fee really waived if you bring a wine key and open yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahara910

Mouseketeer
We have dinner at Palos one night and thought we would bring a bottle of nice wine and pay the corkage. (Around here you pay corkage when you bring a bottle into a restaurant no matter what). But I keep reading comments like bring a wine key so I don't have to pay them to open it. They really do not charge you if you "open it" yourself?

We have dinner at Palos one night and thought we would bring a bottle of nice wine and pay the corkage. (Around here you pay corkage when you bring a bottle into a restaurant no matter what). But I keep reading comments like bring a wine key so I don't have to pay them to open it. They really do not charge you if you "open it" yourself?

They do charge you the fee. It is more like service fee than a fee for physically opening the bottle.

[QUOTE="Cinder" Ella's Mom;48228525]That is against the rules DCL has set up for bringing alcohol on board, but some people do it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Can someone please tell me where this is stated by Disney as being against the rules. On the last cruise we would open a bottle in our stateroom in share drinks with friends before dinner and if we didn't finish it before our dining time, some of us would bring our partial glasses to dinner to finish. Nobody ever said anything or looked at us funny. I know there are a lot of things that are against the rules that people do anyway, or think don't apply to them and Disney never says anything as long as nobody is getting hurt. I want to follow the rules, but don't know where to find this one. Thanks.

Can someone please tell me where this is stated by Disney as being against the rules. On the last cruise we would open a bottle in our stateroom in share drinks with friends before dinner and if we didn't finish it before our dining time, some of us would bring our partial glasses to dinner to finish. Nobody ever said anything or looked at us funny. I know there are a lot of things that are against the rules that people do anyway, or think don't apply to them and Disney never says anything as long as nobody is getting hurt. I want to follow the rules, but don't know where to find this one. Thanks.

From the FAQ on their website:

Beverage Policy

QuestionWhat is the policy regarding bringing alcoholic beverages on board?Answer
Alcohol is permitted on board. However, any fragile items (including alcoholic beverages) must be hand-carried on board in the carry-on of an adult Guest – age 21 or older (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room, including Palo and Remy, with a bottle of champagne or wine will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

The people who made those comments must not realize that the corkage fee onboard has NOTHING to do with the physical act of opening the bottle so no matter if you bring a bottle uncorked already or not you are supposed to be charged the "service fee/corkage fee". It is a fee for not buying alcohol from DCL. Some servers look the other way as they fear it may impact their tip, some charge it as they are supposed to. But, don't expect them to waive it just because you brought the bottle uncorked already.

MJ

sahara910 said:

It's going to be the same as where you live. The corkage fee isn't a fee for actually opening the bottle. It's a service fee. They're losing out on revenue when people bring their own wine. I used to work as a Chef in a fine dining restaurant. If it wasn't for the wine we would have been out of business. There is very little profit on food. It's all in the booze.

It's going to be the same as where you live. The corkage fee isn't a fee for actually opening the bottle. It's a service fee. They're losing out on revenue when people bring their own wine. I used to work as a Chef in a fine dining restaurant. If it wasn't for the wine we would have been out of business. There is very little profit on food. It's all in the booze.
Thank you! This is what I was thinking and DH is also in the restaurant business so it makes perfect sense to me. I saw so many posts about opening their own bottle to avoid the fee that I thought it was odd.
:thumbsup2

Doing this to avoid the fee will get you branded as a jerk. I am sorry but.....,

lizabu said:

I had no idea. Thanks for sharing that. No wonder my replies of 'no thank you' to the offer of alcohol is often met with slight disdain. I'm not a wine drinker or much of a drinker at all so waiters must not like me very much, lol.

I understand the policy about brought on board alcohol. But how would DCL know if I bought a glass of wine at the bar, vs bringing a glass of wine from my stateroom?

I can see a difference between someone laying down next to the pool with a six pack of bud...

I understand the policy about brought on board alcohol. But how would DCL know if I bought a glass of wine at the bar, vs bringing a glass of wine from my stateroom?

I can see a difference between someone laying down next to the pool with a six pack of bud...

The rule is no consumption of personal alcohol in public places one glass of wine or a six pack:thumbsup2

They probably wouldn't know. The same way my employer probably wouldn't know if I had a beer during lunch, or added some vodka to my water bottle at my desk. It's the rule and they are asking you not to do it. It's up to the individual to decide if they will follow the rule or not.

I don't mind paying the corkage fee personally, and am surprised (ok not really) that some people try to find a way around it. Not speaking about you OP, I understand you are asking an innocent question. :goodvibes Per the Disney rules you are not supposed to bring a glass of any type of alcoholic beverage with you from your stateroom to dinner. Also you should be charged the $20 corkage fee if you bring a bottle of wine to be served, open or not. I'm sorry Disney isn't consistent on enforcing this, because I feel like it ends up being money out of the server's pocket to some extent.

Right now, it is very difficult to distinguish. That is why many people just ignore the rule and bring their wine or other beverage they brought on board out in a glass to anywhere they like. Just because people ignore the rule doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And as people take more advantage of what is already a liberal policy (compared to other cruise lines) and it becomes a bigger problem, DCL will tighten up their rules (as they attempted to do last year, and I imagine they will revisit again in the not-so-distant future), and then it certainly is going to be easier to know.

Right now, it is very difficult to distinguish. That is why many people just ignore the rule and bring their wine or other beverage they brought on board out in a glass to anywhere they like. Just because people ignore the rule doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And as people take more advantage of what is already a liberal policy (compared to other cruise lines) and it becomes a bigger problem, DCL will tighten up their rules (as they attempted to do last year, and I imagine they will revisit again in the not-so-distant future), and then it certainly is going to be easier to know.

I have never done this but if I get Clueless and his sidekick as my servers again I plan to bring my own glass of wine. I would have paid, but...they could not be bothered to take drink orders. Or if you dared request something besides water it never showed up LOL

They probably wouldn't know. The same way my employer probably wouldn't know if I had a beer during lunch, or added some vodka to my water bottle at my desk. It's the rule and they are asking you not to do it. It's up to the individual to decide if they will follow the rule or not.

I don't mind paying the corkage fee personally, and am surprised (ok not really) that some people try to find a way around it. Not speaking about you OP, I understand you are asking an innocent question. :goodvibes Per the Disney rules you are not supposed to bring a glass of any type of alcoholic beverage with you from your stateroom to dinner. Also you should be charged the $20 corkage fee if you bring a bottle of wine to be served, open or not. I'm sorry Disney isn't consistent on enforcing this, because I feel like it ends up being money out of the server's pocket to some extent.

Thank you I feel the same way. To me it was just a regular fee. They gave me the right to bring my own wine and I pay for the courtesy. The wine we get would cost us $100+ in a restaurant so I do NOT mind. I just didn't want to be the fool who was paying when it truely was a fee to open the bottle. Which even typing out that sounds ridiculous :rotfl2: But I saw it at LEAST 3 times in threads I have read recently (like the what I would do differently next time thread)... So since I am a DCL virgin I figured I better ask.

Thank you I feel the same way. To me it was just a regular fee. They gave me the right to bring my own wine and I pay for the courtesy. The wine we get would cost us $100+ in a restaurant so I do NOT mind. I just didn't want to be the fool who was paying when it truely was a fee to open the bottle. Which even typing out that sounds ridiculous :rotfl2: But I saw it at LEAST 3 times in threads I have read recently (like the what I would do differently next time thread)... So since I am a DCL virgin I figured I better ask.

Very valid question and I am glad you asked:thumbsup2 as some people do not understand the corkage fee....and now that you are enlightened and can spread the word when you come across other posts stating that you don't have to pay the corkage fee if you open the bottle yourself.

MJ

mmouse37 said:
Very valid question and I am glad you asked:thumbsup2 as some people do not understand the corkage fee....and now that you are enlightened and can spread the word when you come across other posts stating that you don't have to pay the corkage fee if you open the bottle yourself.

MJ

We asked for wine glasses for the room and a nice kit was delivered that included a great lil DCL travel corkscrew. We brought our wine up to the table when we wanted. Sometimes we had rum or something else. We never made a big deal but we were on a 3 day without any formals. Dad did buy an after dinner cognac one night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter