Is the b-day badge going to get us anything speciel?

And Syndrome is such a great role model! :rotfl2:

Fwiw, I do care. I care that some people feel they can judge the "specialness" of other people's celebrations, and pronounce judgement on whether it's legitimate or not. I care that some people want to shame other people into not celebrating at the "wrong" time or in the "wrong" way.

This whole argument is based on the idea that everyone who celebrates at any time other than the one time you've decided is right, is ruining things for everyone else. They're bad people. Because of them, we're not getting all the goodies we're entitled to as good people who only celebrate when we should. They're stealing our goodies! Rawr!

Me, I'd rather just be happy for people. "Hello, stranger! I see you're wearing a birthday button. Are you having a good time? Isn't Disney awesome?"

Not sure if you were meaning my post but could you please
point out where are I said wearing any thing was "Bad"?
Could you point out where I even mentioned that any thiing was ruined?
Did I say any thing at all about what I do when I see some one wearing the button?

:rolleyes1 still waiting.

the op, asked a specific question. She wanted to know if folks thought wearing the birthday button all the time made it less special.That was the question. I answered the question with my opinion AND in every one of the post I said it was MY opinion and my opinion ONLY. NOT once did I say I was judging anyone on what they do. I didn't even say what I do when I see a birthday button.

Since I did not say any thing remotely close to what you are complaining about I can't for the life of me figure out how you know if I'm judging anyone or not. Are you getting your threads mixed up?

Not sure if you were meaning my post but could you please
point out where are I said wearing any thing was "Bad"?
Could you point out where I even mentioned that any thiing was ruined?
Did I say any thing at all about what I do when I see some one wearing the button?

:rolleyes1 still waiting.

the op, asked a specific question. She wanted to know if folks thought wearing the birthday button all the time made it less special.That was the question. I answered the question with my opinion AND in every one of the post I said it was MY opinion and my opinion ONLY. NOT once did I say I was judging anyone on what they do. I didn't even say what I do when I see a birthday button.

Since I did not say any thing remotely close to what you are complaining about I can't for the life of me figure out how you know if I'm judging anyone or not. Are you getting your threads mixed up?

I'm not judging you as an individual. I'm responding to the argument as a whole, and you in particular only with regards to two of your comments - 1. the Syndrome quote, which a lot of anti-button-on-any-other-day-than-the-"right"-day folks like to trot out, and 2. the statement that you don't care - to which I explained why I do care.

I assume no one here would ever be rude enough to actually say anything to anyone they see wearing a button in real life, so I never intended to accuse you of any such thing (if you thought I did).

Also I've been thinking a little further about the Syndrome thing (and while you may be the only one to mention that quote in this thread, this is a topic that gets recycled frequently, so you're not the first nor will you be the last) ...

What would be SO awful about everyone having superpowers anyway? Do we really expect our heroes to say, "No! I must be the only one who knows how to fly! If everyone learns how to fly, then I won't be super any more! Stop flying all you people! *pout*"

I think of it this way: Celebrating Oktoberfest every day at home would make it less special for me. It would become an ordinary thing. When I'm at home, I feel like there's one time of year to properly celebrate Oktoberfest. But despite that I can go to the Biergarten and celebrate Oktoberfest any time of the year, and it's still special. In some ways it's even more special, because it's at Disney, even if it's in June.

And that's the way it is with the buttons. It doesn't make your celebration less special if someone else is celebrating it at the same time. Or even if everyone else is. Your celebration is still your celebration. Celebrate when you want, and it will be exactly as special as you make it. :flower3:

I have a selfish reason for wearing one this trip... My birthday is the 21st of Dec and its always forgotten (except by DH and kids) b/c its soooo close to Christmas. So i'm just hoping for some "happy birthdays" to make up for the years of being ignored. :lmao:

But I dont want free stuff. Just some out loud Happy Birthdays. :cool1:
Yep, we have this too. Out of the five adults and three kids that are going on our December trip, four of the adults have December birthdays that get forgotten in the Xmas hullabaloo. Three out of those four birthdays fall during one week of our trip, a 32nd, 36th, and 40th. So, on those three days all four December babies will wear the pins for the fun of it.
We spend a lot of time making our kids' special days extra special, so this year we wanted to enjoy celebrating making it to our ripe old ages looking as young as we do. :cool2:

To the OP, if you want some extra attention, even if its only from ride operators being a little extra cheerful, then wear it. Don't expect anything more than that, and you'll be pleased. I'm just looking forward to singing Very Merry Unbirthday with my friends on our birthdays in one of the happiest places on earth.

1stvisit0909 said:
I have a selfish reason for wearing one this trip... My birthday is the 21st of Dec and its always forgotten (except by DH and kids) b/c its soooo close to Christmas. So i'm just hoping for some "happy birthdays" to make up for the years of being ignored. :lmao:

But I dont want free stuff. Just some out loud Happy Birthdays. :cool1:

Your birthday is the same as my sister's. I have tried in our adult years to make sure we (DH,DD, and myself) make sure we do something (a special dinner, a night out, whatever) because I think she got shafted growing up.
Our Mom's birthday is also in Dec 10 and will be in Disney for hers and my Dad and I planned her a few surprises!

I'm not sure how you can came to that conclusion?

When your daughter was six she got a card and a cupcake.

Seven years later, when your daughter was 13, she got "some cupcakes".

What's the difference?

And for the record, last year when my son celebrated his 14th birthday (a week after the actual event) at the Crystal Palace, they gave him a card signed by Pooh and friends, a cupcake with a candle, and they sang Happy Birthday to him.

Seems to me things haven't changed much...
Don't get me wrong....I have no issues at all with the thing dd got. My issue is that many people post that they got balloons, rides with characters, ice cream, etc. Those posts tend to get peoples expectations up. Then, when nothing happens, other than a bunch of 'happy birthdays', and a cupcake or two, they are disappointed.
My biggest issue? Why the heck do CRO CMs make such a point of asking about any celebrations. We don't usually make a big deal about any celebrations, but when a CM keeps at you, you finally figure
'what the heck' and tell them what you're celebrating. And then, when you get to WDW? Nothing, not even a hint of anything special. So, why the big push? It just builds up expectations.
I've always been fine with what Disney has done for those special days.

Don't get me wrong....I have no issues at all with the thing dd got. My issue is that many people post that they got balloons, rides with characters, ice cream, etc. Those posts tend to get peoples expectations up. Then, when nothing happens, other than a bunch of 'happy birthdays', and a cupcake or two, they are disappointed.
My biggest issue? Why the heck do CRO CMs make such a point of asking about any celebrations. We don't usually make a big deal about any celebrations, but when a CM keeps at you, you finally figure
'what the heck' and tell them what you're celebrating. And then, when you get to WDW? Nothing, not even a hint of anything special. So, why the big push? It just builds up expectations.
I've always been fine with what Disney has done for those special days.

I would agree with you with the CRO agents pushing with the celebrations. The problem probably lies with execution. As a company Disney probably drills the hotel clerks to make it a point to check for the guests celebration and acknowledge it. You have some that are good at doing that and you have others that won't care. It's unfortunate because it will then leave a bad taste in the guests mouth that they specifically mentioned "i'm celebrating x and it wasn't acknowledged" where as if you weren't pressed to give a celebration, then it wouldn't have mattered when no one said anything.

I have noticed on my last trip that lots of people are wearing it and I'm thinking, you can't all be having your b-day today.
Actually, I seem to recall that out of a group of 30 or more people, it's better than even odds that two will share the same birthday. I don't do the math, but I remember the illustration...

So is the badge actually doing anything or is everyone so used to people wearing it, that they don't notice it anymore?
I'm not all about getting free stuff, I'm more thinking about if people will wish me a happy birthday or just be thinking" Hmm there's another one who is "celebrating"???

You'll get lots of birthday wishes... if that's what you want, then you'll be a happy camper...

We are going to Disney in Jan 2014 to celebrate my niece's 16th and 10th birthday's, they are only 5 days apart so we are going to have a nice week long celebration of their big day's. I am sure that they will have the button's and if they get birthday wishes, cards or free cupcakes that will just be some extra "icing on the cake". The best part about their birthday is that we will all be together as a family at Disney!!! :cool1:

With that being said, for memory/scrapbook sake I really wish that when we went in 2006 I had gotten a 1st time to Disney pin for my dd and when we went in 2011 I wish I had picked up a 1st time to Disney and a birthday button for my ds (we left on Oct 2nd) and his birthday is Oct 29th. Ahhhh well, they still have all the pictures and the memories. :yay:

We have had great experiences with my daughter and friends with the birthday button. Previous posters are right... Lots of happy birthdays! One time my daughter was handed a dollar by a stranger who wished her a happy birthday! Lots of free cupcakes... One year my daughters friend was given free Pandora charms at the jewelry store on Main Street in MK. That was over the top generous. So, it's your birthday- wear the button!

I know I'm not entitled to anything... Like I said, I don't want free stuff. I just want to make sure that the badge hasn't become something everyone wears at anytime. I want my 30th to be special, but I'll rather skip the badge if it's worn by everyone else not having a b-day. I hope you know what I mean...

First of all, get one, it makes you feel all good inside. It doesn't get you anything except happy birthdays from CMs and maybe even some really nice families.
Yeah people wear them if it's not their birthday, I hate when that happens: one of my ''friends'' did that like 2 weeks after her birthday and made it seem like everyone had to bow down to her because of it. But do get it, it makes the trip more magical!

I wore three buttons when I went the first week in June. The Graduation button (Senior HS Graduation!), First Trip, and the Birthday button since it was a combined Graduation/Birthday trip for me. My birthday wasn't until July 3rd, but the CM doing the writing didn't see any problem with it so I didn't! He gave it to me, wished me a happy early birthday, and sent me on my way :cool1:

My sister and my boyfriend wore the Birthday Buttons on their actual birthday last weekend. They got a lot of happy birthdays, and mini cupcakes at Crystal Palace.

They share the same birthday, and decided to have a competition on who could get the most "Happy Birthdays!" My sister bought the Mickey Birthday Ear Hat and a balloon, and got a lot of Happy Birthdays at Magic Kingdom.

My boyfriend got a lot of happy birthdays when buying drinks at Epcot. :rotfl: I think he ended up winning in the end.

They didn't really get anything out of the ordinary, but they said they felt special getting birthday wishes from all of the CMs and a lot of guests.

I plan to wear an anniversary button this trip... :blush:

See, this is my first trip with just my husband, no kids. We'll be visiting this December. It's not near our wedding date (March 1995), but we did get engaged in December 1992.

So I figure we can celebrate 20 years together, from the time we got engaged! We can't celebrate the actual day, though, as neither of us remembers it. All we know is that we got engaged and then we went to a Christmas party right after. I can remember what carols I sang, and the tacky underwear that showed up in a gift box and was never worn, but not what day it was.

But I don't mind, because really, it's not about the actual event, it's about celebrating the two of us, together, and still happy after all these years. So I plan to wear that button with pride! :lovestruc

That is what I mean. I'm not going to wear it, if EVERYONE else is to... And thank you, I'm sure it will be special because I'm at WDW :goodvibes I don't need a pin for that.

Rather than the buttun (or perhaps in additon to it) make yourself a T-shirt that says
Today Is My
30th
Birthday!​

Should end up getting you lots of attention :)

I hope they let you write on the pins exactly what you're celebrating. Ill be celebrating my 21st birthday when I go in january. I scheduled the trip as a gift to myself. Its obviously a big birthday so it would be awesome to be acknowledged and feel special about it!

Wear the button but have the cm write in its your 30th bday. I went for my 40th, wore the button, & had a blast. I actually went 30 days before my bday. Just enjoy being there to celebrate. And I actually enjoyed people commenting on it more that the special moments from cm's. And enjoy being a kid again! Happy birthday!!

Are the birthday treats gone? From 2009 I remember a complimentary cupcake at Liberty Tree, and a complimentary tray of miniature treats at Boma. Are these all gone now?

I don't think you need to wear a pin to receive cupcakes at TS restaurants. We went for my triplet's birthday and we got cupcakes at restaurants but they never wore any pins. The CM asked us if were celebrating when we made the reservations. We are going three weeks after their birthday this year and we never said we were celebrating their birthday. I never thought to say we are celebrating their birthday three weeks later.

Are the birthday treats gone? From 2009 I remember a complimentary cupcake at Liberty Tree, and a complimentary tray of miniature treats at Boma. Are these all gone now?

No, not at all. We went the week after my son's birthday last year (the first week of December) and noted the celebration on one ADR in particular - the Crystal Palace. He got a cupcake and a card signed by Pooh and friends.

We also got a card in our room, and many, many birthday wishes from CMs. Best moment - when the town crier in the Magic Kingdom called us over and did a whole loud announcement routine to the boy's everlasting embarrassment. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter