Is the 50's Primetime Cafe scary?

timtunes

Earning My Ears
I have always fancied going there as I figured it looks fun but I'm having a hard time convincing my gang

DW doesn't want to be told off if she cant manage, say, a volcano of mashed potato and DS (11) similarly doesn't want to be picked on

I thought it looks fun!!

What are the general views? Is it worth it? Is the food good? Are the staff funny or tiresome and 'scary'?

Thanks

it's not scary but if you can not tak a joke this might not be the place for you. There are no mountians of mash potatoes or anything like that but the servers might pick or rib on you and your family if your elbows are on the table, you do not finish your vegatables, if you are wearing a hat at the table, etc. They also might make you set your own table. It is nothing bad but if this is something your family doesn't seem to like I might not go there.

Oh, by the way this is our favorite restaurant at DHS. We've eaten there on our last three trips and have reservations for October there.

Scary? Not at all. But the fun of going to Prime Time is having the staff "yell" at you for not eating your vegetables, elbows on the table, etc. That's what the experience is all about. There really wouldn't be much reason to go there unless you get the full experience.

In my experience, they are more likely to "yell" at the adults, usually to the amusement of the children. So your 11 year old is probably safe, but it could be open season on you or your wife!

I agree with the previous posters, as long as you all have a little bit of a sense of humor, it can be a blast. Some waiters and waitresses do not really say or do much to "embarrass" you, especially if they see you are not playing along.

However, we truly enjoy it there and believe me we are not real out going people, who like to be at the center of attention. It is Dh, DS, who is now almost 17 but has been going there every year since he was about your son's age and me. We realize this is what they are known for there and we go with it and have a great time. The onion rings and fried chicken are really good there. I also enjoy the meatloaf.

I say give it a try. I remember my son at first (around age 11) not wanting to go there, but had such fun that as I said, we go at least once every trip since then. In fact, this year he is bringing his 17 year old friend to Disney for his first visit, and my son said we have to eat at Prime Time.

Good Luck and have fun!!

Also if your child didn't want to be picked on, I would note it to the CM that seats you, that way he/she could tell your waiter/waitress that you want to be left alone, they're also good at reading body language.

It's just a fun place to have a meal. We love having lunch at 50s Prime Time. But we just get into our role there as "kids" and enjoy the good-natured ribbing. We always try to set the table nicely, and we try very hard to keep our elbows off the table. :) Last time, we were so good "Mom" gave us a sticker for cleaning our plates.

But if you don't like that sort of play, then just politely let 'em know. The servers are real people and they'll understand.

My DD is very shy, I explained this to our server and they left her alone, instead they picked on me which DD found very amusing. I have noticed that they have toned down what they say over the past 4 years.

I have always fancied going there as I figured it looks fun but I'm having a hard time convincing my gang

DW doesn't want to be told off if she cant manage, say, a volcano of mashed potato and DS (11) similarly doesn't want to be picked on

I thought it looks fun!!

What are the general views? Is it worth it? Is the food good? Are the staff funny or tiresome and 'scary'?

Thanks

Well a lot of my large group ( 15 ) are sort of introverted. And we all had a great old time. Sure they "tell you off" for having your elbows on the table or not eating all your vegetables, but it's all in good fun and we had a great time. I say go for it!

Our server must have been so busy that we were almost completely ignored. :confused3 We won't go back as it wasn't worth it. And yes, we were trying to be "into it". I even asked if there were any family photo albums to look at. They were brought out very begrudgingly.

If your kids are sensative to that sort of thing, but you're still interested in eating there, I'd tell your server or host before you sat down. This was almost 16 years ago, but I clearly remember my sister (9 at the time) trying to hide under the table, because she was scared of getting yelled at for not eating her veggies.

We love 50's Prime Time. They will tell you to get your elbows off the table, but if you want to mess with them, don't. It's all in fun, but they pretty much know if you want to play along. Also they will praise you if you clean your plate. Their green beans are bad, but you can get corn instead.

We have always had a great time there.

On the last trip, our "cousin" kept calling my 12 year old son "Scooter". She caught him texting on his phone, so she told him to put away his "fancy walkie talkie" at the table. :rotfl:

I agree with the other posters. If your family would prefer not to be picked on, just inform your server of that. I also think it depends on your server about how much they pick on you. I've been to 50's prime time twice. The first time the server asked my family to write down all the Disney movies we could think of on a napkin. I got caught with my elbow on the table and had to get up and sing "I'm a little teapot." :rotfl: The second time, my DBF did everything possible to get called out, but our server did nothing. :confused: So, I'd say go and have fun watching the crazy antics, and request not to be picked on if your family doesn't want to be!

We ate there in 2005 and my husband joked along with the waiter until he walked away from the table and then I got to hear my husband complain! UGH! My MIL gave us our upcoming trip as a gift and she insisted we return to 50's. I plan on asking for a female server (whom my husband may take a ribbing from a little better) or letting them know he is not a very good sport. The food was good though and the rest of us enjoyed ourselves. Its just my DH who is a social misfit! ;)

My sister went many years ago when she was about 12-13 and she spilled her drink. The waitress made her wear a bib and she said she was mortified.

I think it all depends on your mindset and sense of humor. If you can't laugh while others are laughing at your expense, it might not be the place for you. However, it IS a very unique dining experience and I am looking forward to going back in the hopes my DH wears his big boy panties this time! ;) lol

Thanks guys - all good experience and comments

You have steeled my resolve to go! :cool1:

ITA with the other posters about having a sense of humor. The last few times we've been there I've noticed the bigger your group, the more the waiters seem to have a little fun with you :goodvibes And don't tattle! Dh tried to call me out for having my elbows on the table and was reprimanded for being a tattle tale :lmao:

P.S. -- Make sure to remember what color the soap in the bathroom is!!

i see what you mean but really its just them trying to get you to have a fun time. they dont do it in a mean way.

Just make sure you and everyone in your party is in the right mood! If not, you might not have a good time being poked fun at. I had a good experience at 50s Primetime. I was around 11 when we went and it was a blast. I will never forget the waitress making my then 41 year old father sing "I'm a little teapot" for doing something wrong! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter