Is Spaceship Earth closed completely?

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
I was not going to WDW until December so I have not paid much attention to the rehab schedule. Now I have booked a trip for 9/30-10/7.
Deb Wills site makes it sound as though the ride may be closed temporarily thoughout the rehab process. But on other sites it seems as though the entire ride is closed until mid November.
Can anyone enlighten me?

As far as I read it was closed until- November 13, 2007. The press release states that it will have phased renovations occurring through the year Spaceship Earth's makeover is scheduled to be fully completed in early 2008.

Okay, thanks for the quick replies. I was confused for some reason, but now we can cross off SSE from our plans.

Sorry guys! This is probably common knowledge........BUT.........what are they doing to SSE?

I would like to know also...

I'm not entirely sure, but I have read some vague posts about the entire ride being rehabbed. It has been out of date for some time, so I think they'll probably update the storyline, probably have to change some of the AA figures in the ride, and edit the very end. The telemedicine scene near the end of the ride has been obsolete for about 15 years now. I'm anxious to see it, but am disappointed it will be closed during our upcoming visit.

They are probably adding wheelchair accessible cars (I hope anyway). Everytime you think you are stuck it is because the ride now has to be stopped for somone in a wheelchair that can't stand and walk to try and transfer onto the seats.

They are probably adding wheelchair accessible cars (I hope anyway). Everytime you think you are stuck it is because the ride now has to be stopped for somone in a wheelchair that can't stand and walk to try and transfer onto the seats.

I don't think where will ever be anything they can do about that. If you have something that is continually moving, and someone that can not move fast enough one of them going to have to give. Even if the cars were accessible to wheel chairs you would still need time to get the chair into the car.

Well I guess they could just low the ride down.

Im a little sad it will be closed when we go but cant wait to see it when we go back next year.

I've read also that along with the upgrade, the 'sound system' is also being improved, so that riders can hear more clearly what is being said in each cart. This has been needed for many years, I'm talking going back 10 years...:lmao:

Hopefully they will fix the bumpiness of the track. When combined with the hard plastic headrests, you should be given a couple of Tylenol at the exit.

Possible new sponsorship...SSE presented by the makers of Tylenol:rotfl:

Hopefully they will fix the bumpiness of the track. When combined with the hard plastic headrests, you should be given a couple of Tylenol at the exit.

Possible new sponsorship...SSE presented by the makers of Tylenol:rotfl:

Oh ... I totally agree about the bumpy track and those headrests ...NOT a good combination.

They are totally revamping the ride vehicles- adding touch screen monitors to each car (what we will be doing on the touch screens, I don't know) among other cosmetic changes.

They are re-doing the entire sound system, and there is a rumor that the voiceover is being redone by a new narrator.

The focus of the attraction is supposed to be changing from "communication" (old sponsor AT&T) to "how each generation of mankind has invented the future for the next one" (new sponsor Siemans). Noone knows how much of the old attraction will be retained and incorporated into the new.

WDWBlaze said:
Michigan said:
I don't think where will ever be anything they can do about that. If you have something that is continually moving, and someone that can not move fast enough one of them going to have to give. Even if the cars were accessible to wheel chairs you would still need time to get the chair into the car.

I'm with Michigan in hoping they do add a wheelchair accessible car. It would make it much easier to get our kids on and, even if the ride needed to come to a full stop, it would be much faster than it was.

The way it was before, they tried to just slow it as much as possible, but could make the moving walkway come to a complete stop if necessary. We usually needed a full stop to transfer our DD.

If there was a wheelchair accessible ride car, they might be able to just slow it. On Buzz Lightyear and Imagination, some of the CMs are so fast at getting the wheelchair in that they can get it in and out without any more time than it takes for an 'average' guest who can walk on and board without any difficulty.

I have no idea if they are doing anything to the boarding area; from my reading of the ADA and how it relates to amusement parks, if they don't make any changes to how the boarding area is laid out, they are not required to do anything to make it more accessible. The things I have heard they are changing (upgrading the audio system, etc) would be considered 'cosmetic changes'.
I hope they do more than just what is required though.

Way, way back in ancient history the old World of Motion had wheelchair accessible cars. They didn't stop the ride (I don't remember if they slowed it) they just had cars that had a ramp on the back and the CM's would push the chair up the ramp and into slots in the floor so it wouldn't move and everything would continue on as smooth as silk. Taking it off was equally simple. It may have caused some injuries to the CM's, however, because it did require some pretty heavy tugging on the chairs to get them out and quite a bit of push to put them in place.

If you want to, you can go in the exit and play the dumb new games. Well, dumb for adults, but kids might enjoy.

But, the ride is closed for now. I hope it is great when it re-opens. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter