Is Southern Hospitality real today?

That's awful!! :scared1:

Yes, it was. I'm sure not all of NC is like that, but I will not return to that part of the state.

Thank you! And on the flip side, Roanoke, VA, was one of the nicest places we lived. Beautiful area, nice people, great schools. But, my husband lost his job there and was commuting to his new job - two hours one way every single day. That's how we ended up in NC.

I love my small town in Pennsylvania!! ;)

Michelle :flower3:

I'm from the deep South, but went to college up north. People up there were great overall, but it is very different from the South. I was told more than once that I shouldn't talk to strangers so much, as that just wasn't 'done'. However, when I was learning to live in their snowy environment, they were always willing to help. I can't really fault them for laughing at me while doing so, as I'm sure it was sometimes funny to watch my struggles.

Down here, we chat with the grocery store clerk, our waitress, the people in line in front of us at Wal-Mart, pretty much everywhere. It's true that we move at a little slower pace and aren't always in a hurry. It isn't true that we think slower.

Finally, something to think about...if the north is so great, why is it that we rarely hear about people retiring and moving there? :lmao:

Finally, something to think about...if the north is so great, why is it that we rarely hear about people retiring and moving there? :lmao:

Obviously the warmer weather is the primary pulling point.
That's why I love the midwest - get a little of everything! :goodvibes

Just as real as the man in the moon, flying pigs and that cow that jumped over the moon!

People are people, so wherever you go.....:hippie:

:rotfl: Probably because when you get older, you want warmth. Winters get harder to handle. Also, you are ready to slow down. The South can provide a slower pace for elderly folks.

Plus, you can sell your house for mega bucks up North and build a new one in the South and have money left over:thumbsup2

The above make the southern states an ideal place for retirement:woohoo:

Obviously the warmer weather is the primary pulling point.
That's why I love the midwest - get a little of everything! :goodvibes

:rotfl: Probably because when you get older, you want warmth. Winters get harder to handle. Also, you are ready to slow down. The South can provide a slower pace for elderly folks.

Plus, you can sell your house for mega bucks up North and build a new one in the South and have money left over:thumbsup2

The above make the southern states an ideal place for retirement:woohoo:

Yeah, I know that those are some of the actual reasons, though not all of them by any means. It was sort of a tongue-in-cheek comment. ;)

Yep! ::yes:: Exactly. I was born and raised in NEPA. We are all extremely friendly here - and will talk an ear off anyone who sits still long enough. I have recently moved back to my hometown after living almost 9 years away - in SEPA; St. Paul, MN; Roanoke, VA; Mayodan, NC (near Greensboro); and Chicago.

I can say without a doubt, the least pleasant place to live was NC. They were extremely hospitable until they found out we were building a house. Once the locals found out we were Catholic, we had at least 3 people a week (for over 3 years) stop on our property and try to convince us we needed to join their (Southern Baptist) church. I got very sick of hearing that we would burn in hell for allowing our son to read Harry Potter and for being Catholic. It also got very old hearing, "Yankee, go home." My son got beat up almost weekly for being a "Yankee". The kids on his bus also threatened to kill our entire family - they had told my son, in detail, how they were going to do it. We didn't hesitate to involve the police. We moved not long after that - for those reasons and others I won't get into on a public message board.

I do know there are good and bad everywhere. However, after what we went through there, I really have no desire to go back to NC unless we are driving straight through without stopping.

Michelle :flower3:

WOW! That's horrible. I have lived in NC all my life and have never known anyone to act like that. It's people like that that give others a bad name. Don't think we're all like that.

I've lived in the south for 25 years. They are friendlier but make no mistake; they still haven't forgotten the civil war. I had never heard the term Damn Yankee in my life until I moved south and I'm from Indiana. All we say is Damn Cubs.

I have lived in Oklahoma, Georgia, New Jersey, Wisconsin and now Texas. I had quite the accent moving to Wisconsin...it was a mix of Georgia and New Jersey....people were always asking what country I was from. :lmao:
People are nice everywhere...and mean everywhere. Different places different customs. Yes, as a PP stated...here in Texas...just drive down a street in a small town and everyone will wave at you. :lmao:
I believe that Southern hospitality used to be something different...it's a dying breed now. It is no where what is used to be back when my mom was growing up. But then again...a lot of things have changed with the times. As for the yes sirs and no mam's....all my kids were raised to use those terms. My youngest DD is 3 and already knows to use those terms...it shows respect. Why wouldn't you teach a child to show respect in that way?:confused3
On the whole...I do find the south to be more outgoing...not friendlier...just more open and outgoing. I don't think the pace is slower in the south but that's just me.
But I also think the south is a happier place...and I think it has to do with light and conditions. The south is usually sunnier and brighter where the north is dirty because the snow and slush gets dirty from cars and it's just darker up there. I hope that comes across right...I'm not trying to be negative or mean.
Anyway...that was my 2 cents.

As for the yes sirs and no mam's....all my kids were raised to use those terms. My youngest DD is 3 and already knows to use those terms...it shows respect. Why wouldn't you teach a child to show respect in that way?:confused3

Sometimes it seems a bit forced ;) Not my cup of tea, I guess. Not to mention the tie to slavery. Google it. Many black folks are offended by their children having to address white adults as Ma'am and Sir. I don't blame them. Please and thank you and other niceties do just fine:thumbsup2

I am sure it shows respect to some, but I cringe when I hear adults using it to other adults ad nauseum. Of course, when I was younger and worked retail, I would say "Ma'am, you forgot something" on occasion. Sounds nicer than "Hey Lady!":rotfl: But when adults and children alike say it after every blessed sentence, it sounds a bit artificial.

I watched the Today Show this morning and they had on the grandparents of the little baby that survived the tornado:goodvibes It was a beautiful story. But, I have to say I CRINGED at every "Yes Sir" the grandmother said to Matt Lauer. Sentence after sentence-- "Yes sir", "Yes sir", "Yes Sir". She is not his Door Man on Park Avenue, nor is he her sergeant. She is an equal.

I am not flaming, but I have heard this argument a MILLION times before. "The South has better manners because we teach our children to say "Yes Ma'am" :rolleyes1 And the North is raising a bunch of ignorant children because they say "Yes please" instead of "Yes sir":confused:

Sometimes it seems a bit forced ;) Not my cup of tea, I guess.

I am sure it shows respect to some, but I cringe when I hear adults using it to other adults ad nauseum. Of course, when I was younger and worked retail, I would say "Ma'am, you forgot something" on occasion. Sounds nicer than "Hey Lady!":rotfl: But when adults and children alike say it after every blessed sentence, it sounds a bit artificial.

I watched the Today Show this morning and they had on the grandparents of the little baby that survived the tornado:goodvibes It was a beautiful story. But, I have to say I CRINGED at every "Yes Sir" the grandmother said to Matt Lauer. Sentence after sentence-- "Yes sir", "Yes sir", "Yes Sir". She is not his Door Man on Park Avenue, nor is he her sergeant. She is an equal.

I am not flaming, but I have heard this argument a MILLION times before. "The South has better manners because we teach our children to say "Yes Ma'am" :rolleyes1 And the North is raising a bunch of ignorant children because they say "Yes please" instead of "Yes sir":confused:

I think that having been raised hearing "Yes, Sir' and "Yes, Ma'am", we probably just don't think about it one way or another here. I will say though, that I only use that term with my elders. It makes me uncomfortable when older people call me Ma'am.

It's merely a term of respect. I like it obviously, since I've taught my children to use those terms, but I don't think it's rude not to use those terms as long as children are being taught to be respectful to their elders in whatever manner they choose to address them. I have certainly never thought that northern children are "ignorant" because they may not use those terms.

BTW, there are many Southern children not being taught to use those terms either. As a Southerner, I find that a little sad. I just think it was part of our considerable charm.

And every time I hear this argument and others from the Southerners here on the DIS boards, I think, "Don't they realize that it is rude and tacky and poor manners to talk about how superior their manners are to others?";)

Honestly, those with gracious manners don't shriek about how atrocious everyone else is compared to their wonderful selves.

Bless their hearts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter