Is Snorkeling with Sea Turtles in Barbados OK for young children?

Vargascruise2016

Earning My Ears
We are really looking forward to being in Barbados next January with our five-year-old and seven-year-old. Both love the water as we live on the ocean, but neither have snorkeled and tend to be more comfortable in pools rather than the ocean though they love to splash around in it and jump in the waves. My husband and I would LOVE for them to experience swimming with the turtles but are very nervous that the experience may not be positive for them if they are freaked out as they don't have experience with snorkeling. Has anyone done this with young children who don't have snorkeling experience - and would you recommend it? Thanks!

I would highly recommend with children of that age getting a set of snorkel equipment for them to practice with before they leave home. This will also allow you to make sure you have equipment will fit your children, rather than relying on the tour company provide this for you. Having a mask that fits well is essential for kids to enjoy snorkeling, for that matter anyone else too. Is the excursion that you're considering one where you would snorkel off the beach or where you would have to snorkel from a boat. I find for new snorkelers that a beach entrance is easier.

As a scuba diver I have been around numerous sea turtles and other wildlife... While some sea turtles might just swim away from you sometimes they just go about their own business. I would recommend that you do not handle any wildlife (unless it's a set-up that way by the tour company) and keep some distance from you and the wildlife.

you just can't touch the turtles...the turtles will be fine the waves/tide could be more the issue....if you're not a seasoned snorkeler doing as much in any sort of turbulent water can be tough...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter