Is San Juan considered a US Port?

kstategrad

Disney Fanatic!
I know we don't "need" a passport to fly into San Juan, since PR is a US territory; however, the DCL site says (to my understanding) that all cruises that begin and end in the same US port (ie: closed loop cruises) don't require a passport.

I am just making sure I'm interpreting correctly. I do not want this thread to turn into a debate or lecture about passports, and how everyone should always have one, and what the risks are...

I simply want to know if a passport book is required to SAIL on a closed loop cruise to/from San Juan, if I'm a US resident.

Thanks...:cool1:

It's just like Orlando. But I would never cruise without a Passport, required or not.

It's just like Orlando. But I would never cruise without a Passport, required or not.

Agree--just wanted to make sure San Juan cruise terminal was considered a US Port, just like Puerto Rico itself is considered part of the US.

I know we don't "need" a passport to fly into San Juan, since PR is a US territory; however, the DCL site says (to my understanding) that all cruises that begin and end in the same US port (ie: closed loop cruises) don't require a passport.

I am just making sure I'm interpreting correctly. I do not want this thread to turn into a debate or lecture about passports, and how everyone should always have one, and what the risks are...

I simply want to know if a passport book is required to SAIL on a closed loop cruise to/from San Juan, if I'm a US resident.

Thanks...:cool1:

Closed loop means it begins and ends in the USA. There can be non-USA stops along the way.

Although a passport would not be required it is still recommended. Although you are scheduled to go to just San Juan due to unforeseen problems they could have to dock in another cities. I remember one of the big issues with the Carnival boat that was slowly towed back to the US was that many passengers did not have a passport and so docking in Mexico would have created further issues for some of the guests.

If you are going to San Juan I'm assuming it is also the boat that goes to St. Thomas/St. John. On the cruise path of those itineraries if there where mechanical issues or say you had a medical emergency they could dock at a non-USA port and you might need a passport then.

Closed loop means it begins and ends in the USA. There can be non-USA stops along the way.

Although a passport would not be required it is still recommended. Although you are scheduled to go to just San Juan due to unforeseen problems they could have to dock in another cities. I remember one of the big issues with the Carnival boat that was slowly towed back to the US was that many passengers did not have a passport and so docking in Mexico would have created further issues for some of the guests.

If you are going to San Juan I'm assuming it is also the boat that goes to St. Thomas/St. John. On the cruise path of those itineraries if there where mechanical issues or say you had a medical emergency they could dock at a non-USA port and you might need a passport then.

It's a southern caribbean cruise on the Magic this fall. I have a passport, but there are others in my party who do not. That's why I'm asking. And yes, I know what a closed loop cruise is. The one we're sailing on starts and ends in SJ.

It's a southern caribbean cruise on the Magic this fall. I have a passport, but there are others in my party who do not. That's why I'm asking. And yes, I know what a closed loop cruise is. The one we're sailing on starts and ends in SJ.

No you do not need a passport to sail out of San Juan.

Are you going to any other islands? If you are, it is def recommended that everyone have. Passport. You will need to have certified birth certificates and IDs if you don't have a passport. It has to have a raised seal and signature. You can sail with it.

But if something happens to them or someone in their party or the ship in an international port, you will have trouble. You won't be able to fly back (you can after lots of trouble) if you are not in a US port.

But the answer is, no, you don't have to have a passport.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. No you wouldn't need a passport but as it has been pointed out because the ship stops at non-US ports in the event of an emergency a passport would make it easier to get back to the US.

So it is up to your group if they want to get them or not.

No, you don't need a passport on a closed-loop cruise. The BCs may or may not have raised seals. It will depend on the issuing state. Some just have a watermark, but are still official.

The BCs may or may not have raised seals. It will depend on the issuing state. Some just have a watermark, but are still official.

Exactly. Not all BCs have raised seals. Mine does. My son's and husband's do not. Different states! Theirs have flat, swirly ink stamps on them, and it's exactly as certified as mine is.

I didn't know that Orlando is a cruise port :rolleyes1

But it's a port like Rome or Athens are cruise ports

And you only need the same documentation as you would to visit Omaha, NE, except that you will need at least some official documentation to get on a cruise ship.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

New DISboards Posts

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest