• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is room view important?

boscov

Mouseketeer
How important is it to get a better view for your room? Example, I am looking to stay at Poly in September and I'm whether to spend the extra $500 for a Lagoon View. Do you think it's worth it? (yes I realize this is subjective) I assume you can see the fireworks from a Lagoon View room? Any input would be great.

For us, it's usually important, but we like watching fireworks from the balcony.

Theme park view is really what you want for fireworks.

It depends on so much--we have found that we care less about view now because our kids are older and we are out and about later in the evening. When they were little, we spent evening out on the balcony enjoying the view for several hours. I still like having a good view, but for a quick trip I won't bother.

What might seem counter-intuitive though, is that I think view matters more with a longer trip. Those are the trips where we slow down a bit and spend more time hanging out. I like to have coffee on the balcony in the morning and not looking at a parking lot helps make that more pleasant.

What I'm wondering about though, is whether a view is worth paying for when a balcony isn't part of the picture? Say at POFQ. :confused3

I have never really had the choice since I have always had a pretty tight budget but for me, view is not too important. I will say that at some point I will stay at BLT and will need to overlook MK.

I don't know that I care as much about having a good view as I hate having a bad view. I pay more to avoid looking at a parking lot from my balcony.

If we r staying at a moderate resort then no the view is not a factor at all. Honestly the only resort that I was really concerned about the view was when we stayed at AKL. I wanted our daughter to see the animals from our room in the a.m. We r now planning BC and I'm booking a standard view. I think the type of resort factor into the view. Honestly I want our balcony for that night to sit and relax with a glass of wine after a long day at the parks. But I'm not sure if I would pay $500 extra a night to look at fireworks I would walk to the beach and put that $$ some where else on the trip. That is just me

I got upgraded to water view CL at BC last year, with the most awesome view of SAB and boardwalk that I've ever seen, aaaand, if I'd had the option of paying more to see that or just overlook the grounds for garden view. . . I'd pay for the garden view and appreciate the nice views elsewhere. I looooove the poly, and when we stayed there, we had garden view and watched fireworks from the beach and walked 30 seconds back to our room and it was fine.

The view is important to me. Definitely people feel very differently about this. For poly, I actually love the garden views, though, and have never felt the need to pay for lagoon or theme park view. It really depends on where you are staying. For us, an upgraded view isn't a necessity at the Poly.

Have a great trip!

How long will you be in the ROOM, looking at the VIEW?

Places like POLY and AKL (where I have stayed) the $$ views are really, really nice. But I knew I was never going to spend enough time looking at them to justify the cost.

I think LOCATION is more important. I do NOT want to have the longest walk back and forth to my room.

This is our first time staying at a deluxe and for us it was a no brainer to spend the extra $$ for the theme park view as we're not sure if we'll stay deluxe again.

This is our first time staying at a deluxe and for us it was a no brainer to spend the extra $$ for the theme park view as we're not sure if we'll stay deluxe again.

Oh you will.... trust me you will be staying in a deluxe resort again. My last stay was Club Level at the Beach Club. My next stay is at the POP, and I'm more than a little bummed. The blue Key to the World Card will seem so.. so...proletarian.

I'm consoling myself by saying that we are staying at WDW longer (a week) at the POP than we did at the Beach Club (three nights).

Rick

Just got back from the polynesian. Stayed in a standard room for a few days and then in a theme park view room. I would NOT spend money on a view. Why? because i preferred going on the beach especially for fireworks then on the patio (musics on the beach and view is amazing). This is coming from a person who sits out on the balcony every night. do not pay for a view.

We enjoyed our GV at Poly. We were in Tokelau in the beach end of the building, so it was just a second to go out to the beach to see the fireworks. And if we leaned off balcony and looked right we could see the castle. However we preferred to watch from beach.

We don't usually pay for views, but the exception for us would be if we stayed at the CR where we would definitely get a tower TPV. As far as the Poly, we've only stayed in a GV and we loved it. We didn't have a view of the castle, lagoon, or fireworks from our room, but we had a pretty view of the quiet pool. With that said, I don't think there are any bad views at the Poly. So for us, it wouldn't be worth it to pay extra for a lagoon view.

Depending on the ages of someone's kids, there is a lot to be said for being able to watch the fireworks from their bed right before going to sleep. We've done that quite a bit over the past few years.

We don't usually pay for views, but the exception for us would be if we stayed at the CR where we would definitely get a tower TPV. As far as the Poly, we've only stayed in a GV and we loved it. We didn't have a view of the castle, lagoon, or fireworks from our room, but we had a pretty view of the quiet pool. With that said, I don't think there are any bad views at the Poly. So for us, it wouldn't be worth it to pay extra for a lagoon view.

Unfortunately GV is sold out, so it's either SV or LV. However, since the parking lot is across the street and the way the longhouses are set up, I wouldn't think there would be too many bad views am I correct? I mean, if I request Tokelau or Tahiti, I would probably be getting a GV in essence right?

room view is not worth paying extra for us.
as a pp said, location is more of an issue to us too.:cheer2:

Depending on the ages of someone's kids, there is a lot to be said for being able to watch the fireworks from their bed right before going to sleep. We've done that quite a bit over the past few years.

Or even better--watching from the balcony while the children are fast asleep in bed. Walking to the beach at the Poly wasn't an option when our kids were young. Without a great view we would have missed all the fireworks and the water parade. They were great sleepers, in a bed, but very inflexible about time and location--they outgrew napping in a stroller quickly. Maybe it's a twin thing? These were kids who put themselves to bed when a babysitter missed bedtime.

We tried to get them to watch the fireworks on our balcony one night during our Poly trip and they refused! They kept strictly to their 7pm bedtime. One couldn't be woken up after repeated attempts, the other cried and stomped off the balcony mid-fireworks shouting "I'm going to bed NOW"

Only around age 8 did they get to be able to stay up late for something fun.

Most of the time, this early to bed habit has worked for us, not against us, so I'm not complaining! Lots of parent time at night :rotfl2: Also, no problem making rope drop for us!

I love the original question, and the main thing to consider is that 1) EVERYONE would prefer a room with a nice view. So then it becomes a question of 2)how much money it's worth, which then becomes DIRECTLY related to 3) how much you can afford...and so on.

Personally, given we're in # 1, and the factoring in #2 and #3, we can justify (and every few years only, afford) paying for location, so we now stay at BC. On the other hand, we fall short in the #2 and #3 category in recognizing value for view, plus when we're in the room we don't spend that much time, relatively speaking, looking out the window or balcony door.

Is is a great question, boscov, and I'm sure enjoying reading all of the responses!

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter