Is Pirates too scary for 7 yr old

ceecee

DIS Veteran
For any one that has seen POTC movie.......is it too scary for our 7 yr old DD? She wants to see it, and we can't find reviews anywhere!

I think it is. My nine yo didn't want to see it and stayed home and I was told my 11 yo hid his face a lot. ( He went with a bunch of boys.) Now, we don't usually watch scary movies so that will have something to do with it. Here's a good review site for you:

http://movies.yahoo.com/moviemom/

There was a lot of younger kids in the movie and I heard a lot of crying and moving about. It's also very long and the accents can sometimes be hard to follow. I dont' think it's so much the scariness factor but the comprehension factor of what is going on. I think the plot can be rather complicated for younger kids. It was perfect for a bunch of preteen boys.

YES. I just saw it the other night (WAS EXCELLENT!) and for most of the movie I thought it would be fine for my 6 yo ds' until near the end of the movie it does get too violent for a child under 8 or 9. The sword fighting and the ghosts weren't that terrifying but there is a certain scene I would think that a young child may not handle so well.

I am going to take my 10 yo dd to see it next weekend but I will wait until it comes out on dvd before I let the younger ones see it, that way I can skip over that particular scene.

Besides I don't want it to scare the life out of them before we go to disney so they'll go on POTC ride, lol

Try posting this over on the Community Board. there has been alot of talk about his movie and these people are always happy to help, too.!!!

My kids 5 and 8 saw it, and no they weren't scared at all!

Pirates and Tower of Terror are the rides my 6yo DD seems to talk about most since our trip to WDW. (She was 4 then). She loves the pirates and looked forward to this movie.

I took her this week and we both thought the movie was excellent, even DH did. The pirates turn into skeletons (wicked-looking ones) at certain times in the movie, and there is also quite a bit of violence -- sword fighting, etc. toward the end. My DD only covered her ears during these loud parts, she never hid her eyes. But she did cling to my arm tightly!! She hasn't quit talking about the movie yet -- walking around the house dressed like a pirate! This movie was 2.5 hours including previews.

It really just depends on your child.

There was a brief preview of the Haunted Mansion movie, coming out at Thanksgiving. It looked pretty cool (& scary) too. We will go see it as well.

I guess we will skip it with her, the air show is on now and just hearing the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds flying over the house is scaring her! We don't let her watch scary movies either so she would probably not like it. She does like the ride.

I was concerned about this too. However, DD5 very much enjoyed the movie! I believe you just have go with your own gut instinct regarding your child. Some will like it, others won't.

Interestingly enough, DD5 use to be afraid of POTC, now after seeing the movie she can't wait to go on the ride next month!

We went today with my 7-yo daughter. She covered her eyes a couple of times, but otherwise was fine. There is a lot of fighting, but virtually no blood. Nothing gory at all. I think it depends on the kid, of course. I'm sure you know from experience if your kid would be ok or not.

Steve

Think this is better suited to the CB. See you over there. :)

Overall I thought that movie was more funny then scary but I am waiting for it to come out on DVD before my 10yo sees it (Unfortunelty my 12 yo will have to wait too). I would hate to spend $10 each and have to leave half way through because my 10yo wants to leave.

We just got hmoe from taking our 14 y/o twins and 7 y/o DS to see Pirates & 14 y/o DD was more afraid than 7 y/o DS was. I honestly think it depends on your individual child. Each child has a different level of fear & the things that scare them are all different. You know your own child better than anyone and if she scares easily at all then it may be too frightening.

My 10 yr old loved it and wants to see it again...but he loves anything scarry, and he went with a friend~I've not seen it myself!

I think it really depends on your child. My boys (8 & 11) loved it and had no problems with the movie. Children who are very easily frightened should probably avoid the movie. POTC is actually very tame with some wonderful CGI effects.

I think it depends on the child and you would know best. My son loved this movie and he is 7. He is the type of kid that has to know how everything is done. He spent a majority of the movie telling me and my husband how the scenes were made! Thank goodness we were at the drive-in and had to tell him to stop because we wanted to see the movie! He was on the pirates movie website and also saw a few things on the Disney channel. Now I do know that he has a fear of heights and is petrified to walk on a walkway that is up high. He just about freaked when we went to watch the fireworks on the 15th floor of the Contemporary!

We took 9 yr old and 6 yr old on Saturday. The entire family LOVED it!! There was no crying or hiding of any eyes in our family. The theater was pretty full, with a good number of younger children, and I didn't hear any crying during the movie.

My kids spent reading time at night reading the "Pirates of the Caribbean" book that we picked up at Barnes and Noble (9 yr old read it out loud to 6 yr old). They pretty much knew what was going to happen and that there would be a lot of fighting. It was cute because they'd lean over towards us and tell us how the book was either the same, or different than what they were watching. :) The best part was when they mentioned "Captain Barbosa" ....dd leans to me and says "Oops, I read that wrong in the book, I always called him Captain Barnabus!" :) They also liked seeing how the movie compared to the ride....they'd point that out in certain scenes.

Guess it depends on the kids, my kids have never been scared with any movies other than Gremlins (I saw it as a kid and forgot how frightening it was!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter