• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is pirates of the carribean new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixster

DIS Veteran
Hear people talking about this ride a lot and never saw it when we went that I can remember so is it a fairly new ride?

No, it is one of the older rides in the park, and opened in the early 1970s. However, after the movie came out in 2006 (and then the sequels), they went back and updated the ride with the Johnny Depp character and now I've heard they added mermaids too?

I remember this ride fondly from when I was a little girl. We rode it often on our trips to Disney, which, for me, started in the 1980s. :)

It is from 1973.... I am from 1972...

So it is BRANDNEW actually! :rotfl2:

Yes PoC did not open with the park. I think the story is Walt didn't think it was needed being that Florida is close to the Caribbean. :confused3

You know because people in Florida see Pirates walking around all the time. Wouldn't be special enough.

chartle said:
Yes PoC did not open with the park. I think the story is Walt didn't think it was needed being that Florida is close to the Caribbean. :confused3

You know because people in Florida see Pirates walking around all the time. Wouldn't be special enough.

Yeah, we see a lot of pirates. :rolleyes2

I guess I can see how someone not familiar with the park might walk past POC and not know it was there, especially if they did not bother to pick up a guidemap. Typically the line forms inside the ride so outside you only see the building exterior and gift shop..... :rolleyes1

Hear people talking about this ride a lot and never saw it when we went that I can remember so is it a fairly new ride?

Or maybe OP is referring to the new attraction coming to DHS (Jack Sparrow Experience of sth like that).

Mx

I guess I can see how someone not familiar with the park might walk past POC and not know it was there, especially if they did not bother to pick up a guidemap. Typically the line forms inside the ride so outside you only see the building exterior and gift shop..... :rolleyes1

Since the remodel of the ride extrerior, the ride is well hidden. The attraction sign is not at the entrance, and it's very amibguous.

I've been riding it since it opened, and I think the new exterior is really odd.

I made a mental note of it the last time we were there. I was standing on front of the sign, and thinking how inferior it was to the original entrance. Originally, there was an animatronic parrot calling out to passerby, and the name of the ride was prominently displayed on the building entrance. The new sign looks like a small black sail up in the palm trees, and you can ONLY see it if you approach the area from the direction of Aladdin. From the opposite direction all you see is a gift shop. At night, it's even harder to see/read!

It's kind of a bizarre change.

Like PPs have said, the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction at Magic Kingdom is not new.

The conversation you have seen about POTC is likely due to the new mermaid additions in the attraction or the Pirates of the Caribbean Experience at DHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter