Is passport renewal different??

sftnslky

**May every day be filled with Magical memories**
Our 5 Disney Cruise is this coming Aug, and I just realized that all 4 of our kids passports expire this month. So my question is this... Is renewing a passport easier/different/cheaper/faster then when you get your first one? :)

Our 5 Disney Cruise is this coming Aug, and I just realized that all 4 of our kids passports expire this month. So my question is this... Is renewing a passport easier/different/cheaper/faster then when you get your first one? :)

It's cheaper, sort of. For renewals you don't pay the $25.00 processing fee. BUT, for children under the age of 16, you don't renew. You must submit just like for a new passport.

Yes, renewing kids passports is a PITA. It means the whole family trekking to a passport office again. And the things are only good for 5 years.

BUT, for children under the age of 16, you don't renew. You must submit just like for a new passport.

Oh goodness gracious... It took FOREVER last time. Do you know what the turn around time is like?

Right now it seems to be running 2-4 weeks. Although the passport people will tell you 6-8 weeks.

Exactly this. We turned in all the kids passport stuff on March 16. Yesterday (April 1) I received their birth certificates back, and today (April 2) we got their passports. So, not counting weekends, we're at 2 weeks.

So is it as if you are doing it for the first time? I filled out everything online and printed it off. All that again? Do the folks at the office care that they had one before?

So is it as if you are doing it for the first time? I filled out everything online and printed it off. All that again? Do the folks at the office care that they had one before?

Yes, for under 16s it's just like they are getting a new one. Every time.

Exactly this. We turned in all the kids passport stuff on March 16. Yesterday (April 1) I received their birth certificates back, and today (April 2) we got their passports. So, not counting weekends, we're at 2 weeks.

I hope we get ours soon! We applied 3/13, but haven't received them yet. You give me hope :)

We applied 3/13 at the county court and got our kids' passports exactly two weeks later on 3/27. We have not gotten the birth certificates back yet.

The only thing different than the first time was that I didn't need to use their birth certificates. The post office used their original passports for proof.

The only thing different than the first time was that I didn't need to use their birth certificates. The post office used their original passports for proof.

You still need something to show you are the parents, and most people use a birth certificate for that. A passport doesn't show who the parents are. If they accepted your with just an old passport, you got lucky as most times when they take the wrong document the passport office will send you a request for the correct documents to be sent in. Many of my friends have thought they were lucky that the post office or county clerk didn't take this or that document only to be contacted to send in more. Now most of us BEG the processing official to send in everything we have!

For my adopted child, I used her birth certificate to show I am her parent, but then used the old passport to prove she is a citizen. That is the only thing that made getting a new passport easier, as otherwise I have to use a certificate of citizenship and that's a pain (large document, always afraid it could be lost).

Nancy

To the OP, I noticed your oldest is 16. He will get a first time adult passport, so make sure that's what you request. It costs more but will last 10 years. I think he has to sign too.

Nancy

Yes, renewing kids passports is a PITA. It means the whole family trekking to a passport office again. And the things are only good for 5 years.

There is a form that you can down load from the Goverment web site and fill out/have notarized and only one parent has to be present when applying at the passport office.

Since I am from CA and so are you (Stockton, CA). You can also pick up the copy of the birth certificate if you need to at the San Joaquin County Recorder's Office also in Stockton: http://www.sjgov.org/recorder/dynamic.aspx?id=10793

Here's the website: http://www.stocktoncourt.org/passports.htm

Also, the website states:

The Superior Court acts as an agent for the U.S. Government to process passport applications. You may complete your application at any branch office of the Superior Court, located in Stockton, Lodi, Tracy, or Manteca (Court Locations). The Clerk's Offices are open for business at each location from 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except on legal holidays. You should allow thirty (30) minutes to process your application. You may also pick up a renewal application from the same office.

Effective December 9th, 2009 all branches will stop processing applications at 2:00 p.m.

In order to apply for a passport, each applicant needs to bring the following items:

Original Certified Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate (if you are not a native born U.S. Citizen)
Valid California ID (Driver's License, Passport, or Military ID)
One(1) passport photo (2inches by 2 inches)
Processing Fees (please see below or click on Processing Times and Fees for more detailed information)
To submit an application for a child under 16 years of age, BOTH parents or child's legal guardians must appear at the Clerk's Office and present evidence of the child's US citizenship, evidence of the child's relationship to parents or guardians, and parental identification. If only one parent appears you must submit one (1)of the following:
Second parent's written statement consenting to the passport
Primary evidence of sole authority to apply or
Written statement under penalty of perjury explaining the second parent's unavailability
In addition to your original California Drivers License or ID Card, please bring in a copy of your license ID (front and back) on a piece of plain 8.5" x 11" white paper, to be submitted with your application. Or, we can make a copy for you at 50 cents per page.
All minor applicants, including infants, must appear with both parents at the Office of the Superior Court with a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate or naturalization certificate, parent's identification document and 2 passport photos. If both parents are not available, please contact the Superior Court for further instructions or go to www.travel.state.gov for further instructions. Bring everything to the Superior Court.

Please allow 25 business days for processing the application.

More information on passports can be obtained at the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) at www.travel.state.gov or toll free # 1-877-487-2778.

National passport Information Center Processing times and fees as of Feb. 14, 2011: Passport_Services.pdf

Oh goodness gracious... It took FOREVER last time. Do you know what the turn around time is like?

5 years ago it was a very busy time, passports-wise. It's not as bad now by a long shot.

All that again. No they don't really care. For kids it's a brand new passport, not a renewal.

To the OP, I noticed your oldest is 16. He will get a first time adult passport, so make sure that's what you request. It costs more but will last 10 years. I think he has to sign too.

Nancy

Good call!

And the 11 year olds will have the same thing happen in 5 years, which is pretty cool. Though scary as well, LOL, that the next time they'll get passports they will be adult passports. (I'll be in about the same situation with DS given his age and when he got his first passport)

There is a form that you can down load from the Goverment web site and fill out/have notarized and only one parent has to be present when applying at the passport office.

Very true!

You still need something to show you are the parents, and most people use a birth certificate for that. A passport doesn't show who the parents are. If they accepted your with just an old passport, you got lucky as most times when they take the wrong document the passport office will send you a request for the correct documents to be sent in. Many of my friends have thought they were lucky that the post office or county clerk didn't take this or that document only to be contacted to send in more. Now most of us BEG the processing official to send in everything we have!

For my adopted child, I used her birth certificate to show I am her parent, but then used the old passport to prove she is a citizen. That is the only thing that made getting a new passport easier, as otherwise I have to use a certificate of citizenship and that's a pain (large document, always afraid it could be lost).

Nancy

Wasn't clear. :) The original passport was the only identification that needed to be sent with the application. I didn't have to send off the birth certificates like we did the first time.

I didn't like having to send our birth certificates off. Made me worry about them.

Wasn't clear. :) The original passport was the only identification that needed to be sent with the application. I didn't have to send off the birth certificates like we did the first time.

I didn't like having to send our birth certificates off. Made me worry about them.

I still say you were 'lucky' that you weren't asked to submit the birth certificate to prove you are the parent(s) as the old passport does not show who the parents are. You should have had to send in the birth certificates and could have been asked to submit it later, causing delays. It really was a mistake, so someone who is required to submit the BC with the application shouldn't argue, it is really required even if you have an old passport for a child. For an adult? No, you only submit it the first time.

Nancy

I still say you were 'lucky' that you weren't asked to submit the birth certificate to prove you are the parent(s) as the old passport does not show who the parents are. You should have had to send in the birth certificates and could have been asked to submit it later, causing delays. It really was a mistake, so someone who is required to submit the BC with the application shouldn't argue, it is really required even if you have an old passport for a child. For an adult? No, you only submit it the first time.

Nancy

Happened two different times several months apart. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter