Is Pal Mickey worth it?

jnrrt

Disney Fan
I tried this on another board, but I thought I'd try here, since you all are "regulars".

We will be down at WDW for my daughter's 7th birthday - first time as DVC members, yippee! But that's beside the point. Back to the point -

I was thinking of buying Pal Mickey for her present. Is this actually worth it, especially since we're very familiar with the parks? Will it drive me crazy? Is it actually helpful in any way, or is it mostly just for entertainment? And does anyone have an opinion on buying the older version to save $$, or is it worth it to get the newer one if you all think it's worth it at all.

Thanks!

I think it is a waste of $60 plus dollars. Sorry, why not just read the parade times off the guide maps. I could think of a lot of things to buy a 7 year old with $60 plus dollars.

You could take her everyday to the disney store and let her pick something out for less than $10, and boy would she be happy.

I know people will disagree. But if you have extra cash, go for it. I myself would not bother spending that much money.

Try to buy one off ebay for cheaper. have a good trip.

we have one and to be honest...we end up leaving him in the room!! He tells really corny jokes, but it is good for reminders and tips. He also tells some little known facts throught out the parks. My friends actually bought it for my girls, would i have bought it? No. I think it costs too much money and he falls off the clip ( although i have had him several years and i think the newer ones attach diffrent). Save your money! Missy

My wife bought one on our trip last week, ostensibly for the kids. Fortunately the kids didn't show much interest because DW has adopted Mickey. :)

I certainly wouldn't buy him as a park planning tool. Yes, he does a surprisingly good job of remining you about events and recommending rides. On our last day we were just sitting down curbside to wait for the parade at AK when Mickey piped-up and recommended we find a spot. And once or twice an hour he will tell us about popular rides with short lines, and recommend that we check it out. One time we followed his suggestion--sure enough there was virtually no line.

He also tells cute jokes and stories about the parks and attractions. They really must have an extensive array of sensors placed throughout the parks--many times Mickey would offer parting comments about an attraction almost immediately after we stepped off.

Since we just bought him, we got the newest version, so I really can't compare to the originals. I do know that you can change the outfits on this new version. As AP holders we got a special t-shirt with our purchase, and the new issue of the Member Clubhouse mentioned a DVC promotion, too.

Is he worth it? Hard to determine. When I think about the $100+ I spent on dinner at Chef Mickey's, I guess it doesn't seem so outrageous. :confused3

I have the old version. He is kind of fun in the parks, tells corny jokes, has "games" that you can play with him at home. I bought it for me (I am cleverly disguised as responsible adult). If you find the old version at the Character Warehouse store in the factory outlet in Orlando (Prime Outlets or Belz) it may be worth it. My Pal Mickey is probably something that if you ask if it is worth it - probably isn't (I bought it on impulse)

I think it's over priced and just another thing to lug around the parks. I'll leave the diaper bag on the stroller, but a pal mickey (along with the camera bag) I'd feel the need to take on all the rides, etc.

We (couple in th mid 40´s) got him im January and really loved him. There was no minute without him :flower:

Greets Renate :wizard:

Funny you mention it. My DS7 adores Pal Mickey. We just ordered him the newest one so if you'd like to pick up a lovingly pre-owned one (on the cheap) click here.

My 7 year-olds LOVE Pal Mickey. They took turns carrying him around on our last trip although I don't think we actually paid much attention to what he said while we were in the parks but he's a nice distraction while waiting in line. He tells corny jokes and does little games. And now the kids really love having him home with us after the trip -- it's like part of WDW came home with us. He doesn't say anything about the parks at home of course but he still does the jokes and games and we (all of us) like hime here as a reminder of last trip and the next trips to come!! ::MickeyMo

We rented the older model awhile back and we honestly could not hear him. Is this still a problem?

Patty3 said:
We rented the older model awhile back and we honestly could not hear him. Is this still a problem?

One of the improvements is supposed to be a louder speaking voice. It might even be adjustable, but I'm not sure on that. I rented one just for the fun of it, and I'm excited to be buying mine in just a few days!

What's this about a DVC promotion involving Pal Mickey? I havent' gotten my next Member Clubhouse issue, can I read that online somewhere (like I do the Mickey Monitor?).

D4D

Back in '03, they were giving you a free rental for a day, to try it out.

We thought that was kinda cool, and my wife was tickled when she first heard him.

We took him into the park. And the damn thing WOULD NOT SHUT UP!!!

"Well," my wife said after the first hour, "he's really obnoxious, isn't he?"

I agreed.

And that was that.

I believe there is a "Pal Mickey Swap" ongoing (kind of like the crockpot that floats member to member) or there use to be anyway. If you don't want to buy it then check and see if you can get in on the swap if your dates are available on his schedule. If the "swap" has since ceased I am sure you could start a new one fairly easy...

BostonDisneyKid said:
I believe there is a "Pal Mickey Swap" ongoing (kind of like the crockpot that floats member to member) or there use to be anyway. If you don't want to buy it then check and see if you can get in on the swap if your dates are available on his schedule. If the "swap" has since ceased I am sure you could start a new one fairly easy...

I so would rather do this! Then we'd know if we wanted to actually bite the bullet - especially since my daughter's b-day is not until the end of our trip, and I didn't really want to give her her present that early. That way, if we liked it, she could get her very own. And if not, I kinda think I might be able to find something else to buy in one of the thousands of shops you trip over the whole time ;) .

So, any idea where this swap was going on?

We borrowed one from my cousin a few trips back and boy am I glad I borrowed one and didn't spend the money, he was a pain in the neck and to spend that much money on him and risk losing him was my biggest fear. My DS's were younger and with the diaper bag, fanny pack, etc. it was just one more thing hanging off me. He is very cute, don't get me wrong, but if you know where you're going and what time things happen . . . then he might not be a bargain!

crazywig said:
according to this site http://www.palmickey.net/ there is not only a DVC promotion (dvc tee for pal mickey) but you can get 10% off if you're an AP holder!

i am going to get one next week.

We will be arriving home in 2 weeks and I plan on buying one. Especially since there is a special t-shirt too. Annmarie

we have 3 children and dd 7 has him and dn 5 got him both a couple of trips ago. DD took him back this time and said she was lonley with out him. She was great about holding him and trying to listen to him. ds get to listen to him once in awhile but dd is pretty posesive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter