Is Our October Vacation Going to be More Crowded?

The Hendies

DIS Veteran
Not to seem heartless, in light of all of the vacations plans that are being quickly re-arranged due to Hurricane Irma, but what effect do you think this is going to have on the crowds over the next few weeks?
We have our vacation planned for October 5-17.

Similar dates, Oct 15-22 here. While I think it might be a bit more crowded, it was already going to be crowded. So not a big concern. I am not sure those rescheduling can do that so quickly (arrange time off from jobs, get new flights, etc).

(I would probably want to push it out further to get my desired room, meal reservations, flights, and FP+. But I would not want to wait too long either.)

My cousin and her family were supposed to go down Sept 10th and just rescheduled for Oct. 9th. So yes rescheduling can be done that quickly.

We just rescheduled our Sept 14-20 trip to October as well, the CM who helped me said that many people are doing this. And as an aside, they didn't charge any sort of change fee, which I kind of expected, but was nice anyway since our trip wasn't supposed to start until 4 days after the hurricane.

The area around Columbus Day is already jammed, expect more folks. That would be unless Florida gets severe damage which is possible, then locals will be spending more time cleaning up than visiting theme parks.

Those weeks are already pretty crowded so I wouldn't anticipate the reschedulers impacting significantly, but I'd plan for crowds

Yes, I would guess it will be more busy due to folks rescheduling and pushing their trips out. It seems like most people rescheduled between the Oct-Nov time frame.

Hotels and DVC was almost fully booked for our week in October, can't image what it will be like now.
With so many people rebooking, where are they going to put them all ?

We were there last year after the hurricane and it was really bad. It was close to June/July crowds this past summer.

2 or 3 years ago there was a hurricane heading for Orlando at the end of Aug. A state of emergency was issued and panic ensued. Many many people cancelled trips. Turns out the hurricane fell apart and there was no impact at all, but people had already canceled. The following weeks were very very crowded with people who had rescheduled. People were shocked that early Sept was so busy, but there were lots of rescheduled folks there.

Yeah I have heard that people trying to reschedule now are mostly locked out of October. So I would expect the resorts to be operating at very close to max capacity.

October is very busy now, so I would plan for crowds no matter how folks reschedule.

I don't think anyone can really say yet. There is no way to know how much damage will be done. Higher crowds would be the least of my concerns at this point.

I'm going in October (end, which is better in terms of crowds) and the thought crossed my mind too. As a human, I am quite capable of worrying about two (or more ) things at once. :)

Also - as people have been saying for months there was barely any resort availability in October already. I wonder where they are suddenly finding all these rooms.

Unfortunately not much we can do about it OP, so plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Yes. I think it was going to be crowded anyways but now I am thinking it will be totally packed. I think attendance has been steadily increasing in the fall anyway.

We were there 2ish weeks after the hurricane last year cancelled a ton of trips. It wasn't anymore crowded really then usual. We're going the same week again this year (Halloween week)

It's October. It's going to be crowded anyways

I know that our cruise went from pleasantly underbooked to new cruisers jumping on our cruise group at the rate of a dozen a day. Expect the parks to be insane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter