Is naming our baby Elsa weird or strange??

DisneyDru

Earning My Ears
So my wife and i dont know the gender yet, but for a girl i like the name elsa. Given the popularity of frozen is it too weird or strange to name your kid this??

I don't think it's either but I do think people will associate it with the movie and there will probably be a big flux in the name the next year or two.

I like it. I do like names like that anyway. And it will be sweet when the child is older and can relate it to the princess. It's a pretty and classic, whereas Ariel, for example, is too kitschy.

I have a friend who named her daughter Elsa. She turned 12 in February (the day after my DD was born). We were in birthing class together and in the hospital together. Elsa is a beautiful girl….just like her name. :thumbsup2 I say: Go for it!

My prediction is that she will be one of many Elsas born this year. As long as you're okay with her being Elsa (whatever the first letter of your last name is) all through her school years, then go for it.

Elsa is definitely going to be associated with Frozen. It's going to happen, but it's not weird. It's a nice name, too. You're going to have to think if you'll be able to handle the Frozen implications.

Would you pick this name regardless of the movie or are you choosing it because of the movie? Personally I like the name but would not name my child after a movie character.

There are going to be a ton of babies named Elsa this year. Maybe pick a variation of it?

I agree with the others. Elsa is an absolutely beautiful name, but a child born in the near future will forever be associated with the movie. I would not do that to a child of mine.

My prediction is that she will be one of many Elsas born this year. As long as you're okay with her being Elsa (whatever the first letter of your last name is) all through her school years, then go for it.
That would be my prediction.

When my kids were babies, the show Family Ties was incredibly popular. Come kindergarten, there were at least 2 Mallorys in each class. I loved the name and actually considered it myself. But in the end, am very glad I didn't use a tv character as a namesake.

So, as long as you don't mind your child going through school as Elsa (Last Initial), then go for it.

It is a very pretty name.

That would be my prediction.

When my kids were babies, the show Family Ties was incredibly popular. Come kindergarten, there were at least 2 Mallorys in each class. I loved the name and actually considered it myself. But in the end, am very glad I didn't use a tv character as a namesake.

So, as long as you don't mind your child going through school as Elsa (Last Initial), then go for it.

It is a very pretty name.

This is true, but also something you cannot always predict.

My youngest is named Ava. I had never heard of or met another Ava before she was born. There are many, many Ava's in her school, ballet class, etc. Ironically, her twin brother is Daniel, which I thought would be the most popular name out of all 4 of my children and there is not a single other Daniel in our school. In fact, I have yet to meet one under the age of 50 (Although I do know they exist!)

My oldest son is named Seamus. There are 4 boys named Seamus in his grade! One with the same middle name (Patrick). Another with the same last initial! (H). Never in a million years would I have guessed that one!

Our oldest DD is named Keeley. That I expected to hear when we named her, I don't. Rarely I will hear it on TV but never in everyday life and there is not another in our school district.

My point is you cannot always predict which names will be popular and which will not. Sure you can bet Elsa will be because of the movie, but if you changed it to something obscure, that name could be the next "it" name. You just never know. Bottom line, pick a name you love and that you can say over and over. If you LOVE it, then it is the right choice. Yes, know she may not be the only one with that name, but that is the case with all names.

Pick what speaks to you and what you love:thumbsup2

My cousin named her daughter Elsa when she was born about 18 months ago. I'm not sure how she feels about her daughter now having the same name as a Disney princess.

Like everyone else said, it will probably be a popular name for the next few years but it is pretty.

This is true, but also something you cannot always predict.

My youngest is named Ava. I had never heard of or met another Ava before she was born. There are many, many Ava's in her school, ballet class, etc. Ironically, her twin brother is Daniel, which I thought would be the most popular name out of all 4 of my children and there is not a single other Daniel in our school. In fact, I have yet to meet one under the age of 50 (Although I do know they exist!)

My oldest son is named Seamus. There are 4 boys named Seamus in his grade! One with the same middle name (Patrick). Another with the same last initial! (H). Never in a million years would I have guessed that one!

Our oldest DD is named Keeley. That I expected to hear when we named her, I don't. Rarely I will hear it on TV but never in everyday life and there is not another in our school district.

My point is you cannot always predict which names will be popular and which will not. Sure you can bet Elsa will be because of the movie, but if you changed it to something obscure, that name could be the next "it" name. You just never know. Bottom line, pick a name you love and that you can say over and over. If you LOVE it, then it is the right choice. Yes, know she may not be the only one with that name, but that is the case with all names.

Pick what speaks to you and what you love:thumbsup2

:confused3

I don't think anybody said there was a guarantee with other names? We are talking specifically about Elsa.

With Elsa, you have much better odds that you will have multiple 2014 Elsas in a classroom due to the popularity of the movie this year.

I do agree that one should go with a name they love.

I like that name and would've used it 4 years ago for my daughter if I could've got the hubs on board. So, if you really like it, go for it. But - now that Frozen is out, people will probably assume that anyone born this year and ever after was named after the movie character. And it'll probably spike in popularity big time.

If you do no fair getting annoyed when everyone you meet says "oh like Frozen"

If everyone from relatives to people in the grocery store to her teachers making the connection and saying it to you won't bother you then go ahead. But if it will then think about it, it could also be a middle name if you like it a lot.

We named our child Rio right after the movie came out. Everyone asked us if we named him after the movie, but neither of u really even knew of the movie at the time. Now, almost 3 years later nobody asks us about his name being connected to the movie. Granted, Frozen was a lot bigger than Rio...

:confused3

I don't think anybody said there was a guarantee with other names? We are talking specifically about Elsa.

With Elsa, you have much better odds that you will have multiple 2014 Elsas in a classroom due to the popularity of the movie this year.

I do agree that one should go with a name they love.

In my first post I spoke directly about the name Elsa. In my second (which you quoted) I was just trying to show that one can try to pick the most obscure name possible in hopes that the child will not be called "so-and-so (last name)" in school and still have that issue. Names can go from being unheard of to trendy over night.

I didn't disagree with your post, nor was I staying that anyone said there was a guarantee with other names. I didn't think I was that far off topic.

It's a pretty and classic, whereas Ariel, for example, is too kitschy.

Actually Ariel is a traditional Hebrew name, popular for Jewish girls long before The Little Mermaid came out.

Elsa is pretty, but as others have said, there is probably going to be a lot of girls named Elsa for the next few years. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

There are at least two Bella's in Kindergarten at my son's school. I assume all their parents are Twilight fans. As long as you are okay with people knowing exactly why you named her that forever, go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter