Is my Dentist Ripping me off?

I hate Delta Dental so much! :mad:

Last May my husband had three teeth pulled in one visit; he went in because one tooth was causing him a lot of pain, and while the dentist was in there saw 2 more that could come out (yes, he has terrible teeth). Delta Dental denied the claim, saying that it needed to first be submitted to our health insurance :-)confused3), then once we got the denial from them (because of course it's going to be denied; health insurance isn't dental insurance, that's the whole point), it had to be resubmitted with that denial attached. :confused3:rolleyes2

There are some health plans that cover extractions as a surgical benefit.

Just saw that you're in Canada. That explains a lot. There is basically no dental plan in the US that would pay that much.

It doesn't have anything to do with Canadian healthcare; things like dental, vision, prescription medicine, physiotherapy, etc. are not included. All of those things are either 100% OPP or covered through private, supplemental insurance. My policy is provided as a benefit (family coverage - $0 cost to me) through my employer. It's good, but not great; $2,500 maximum for dental procedures per calendar year per family member. While benefits are not mandatory for employers, many, many companies in the local market have as good or even better plans than mine. DH used to work for the local municipal government and was a union member - now THAT was a gold-plated benefits package!! (Too bad we didn't need all this dental work then.)

I am always a little skeptical about dentistry. I am 65 years old and have had a total of 3 fillings in my life. Two were when I was in the Air Force and the other one, I was told, was because one of the first fillings was rubbing against the tooth in front of it causing a cavity to develop. He also felt that due to the hardness of the enamel on my teeth, the first two were probably practice for the "new" dentists at the base.

Anyway, the one I currently go to I like and they have all the modern equipment in the office. They originally set up that I would get x-rays every other time I went for a cleaning. That is an additional $150.00 over and above the cost of cleaning ($145.). I had the initial x-rays done and after that I simply ask the question... why do you think it's necessary. I have not had dental problems in my life, never even had a toothache. So if they can give me a solid reason why I should have the x-ray, I will let them. So far, no solid reason has been forthcoming.

I have no dental insurance, so it is just money thrown away because after all this time, I think I will know if I have any problems or they will tell me that they see a cavity forming.

It doesn't have anything to do with Canadian healthcare; things like dental, vision, prescription medicine, physiotherapy, etc. are not included. All of those things are either 100% OPP or covered through private, supplemental insurance. My policy is provided as a benefit (family coverage - $0 cost to me) through my employer. It's good, but not great; $2,500 maximum for dental procedures per calendar year per family member. While benefits are not mandatory for employers, many, many companies in the local market have as good or even better plans than mine. DH used to work for the local municipal government and was a union member - now THAT was a gold-plated benefits package!! (Too bad we didn't need all this dental work then.)

I realize that they are not included, I never said they were, but the health insurance companies in Canada are different then the ones here. Many dental insurance companies here have a life time maximum, not just a yearly(and it's usually fairly low), I had already hit mine with my parents insurance by the time I was about 15. After that all they covered was cleanings, nothing else. Even government employees don't get good dental insurance here because it does not exist.

I realize that they are not included, I never said they were, but the health insurance companies in Canada are different then the ones here. Many dental insurance companies here have a life time maximum, not just a yearly(and it's usually fairly low), I had already hit mine with my parents insurance by the time I was about 15. After that all they covered was cleanings, nothing else. Even government employees don't get good dental insurance here because it does not exist.

:sad1: Sorry - I don't know what my family would do in that case, let alone how we'd handle health care.

Honestly, I think it's all a racket. I went 24 years without having my teeth cleaned, because when I was a kid, dentists didn't clean teeth; it was unheard-of. THey just didn't do it. )!!

Wow how old are you?? I am in my 50's and went twice a year as a kid for dental cleanings!

Wow how old are you?? I am in my 50's and went twice a year as a kid for dental cleanings!

Back in the day (yes I'm old) a lot depended on how the dentist ran his practice. I don't remember getting regular teeth cleaning done until I was well into my college age years.

We also had probably the worst family/children's dentist in our little town. His philosophy was "if it doesn't hurt to fix it, you won't learn your lesson". Take that to mean, he was not a believer in using Novocain or any other pain-relieving methods. To this day my siblings and I don't have ANYTHING done at the dentist (including cleanings) unless we're well medicated beforehand.

Back in the day (yes I'm old) a lot depended on how the dentist ran his practice. I don't remember getting regular teeth cleaning done until I was well into my college age years.

We also had probably the worst family/children's dentist in our little town. His philosophy was "if it doesn't hurt to fix it, you won't learn your lesson". Take that to mean, he was not a believer in using Novocain or any other pain-relieving methods. To this day my siblings and I don't have ANYTHING done at the dentist (including cleanings) unless we're well medicated beforehand.

Funny you should mention this. Two of the dentists I had growing up believed that as children's teeth "don't have roots" there isn't any pain associated with drilling on them, so they NEVER used novocaine :scared1: Now THERE's a horror show for you, and explains why, to this day, I get totally anxious when going to the dentist (I'd rather go to the gynecologist- honest!). By the time I was in my early 20s I found a guy who used gas, which was OK to an extent. Now I have a great dentist who believes as I do: If you are having dental work done, you should be numb- from the belly button on up!

Honestly.. the first time I had my teeth cleaned, I was almost 24. No dentist had ever suggested/mentioned it, and I'd never heard of it. I had a roommate who was training to be a dental assistant and she needed volunteers to come to school and let her "work" on them. I didn't know what to expect but she said there'd be no drilling, so I said OK. She cleaned my teeth, and then made casts of them- just for the practice. I still have the casts… kinda cool, but creepy when I first see them in the bottom of the storage box, having forgotten they were there!

Funny you should mention this. Two of the dentists I had growing up believed that as children's teeth "don't have roots" there isn't any pain associated with drilling on them, so they NEVER used novocaine :scared1: Now THERE's a horror show for you, and explains why, to this day, I get totally anxious when going to the dentist (I'd rather go to the gynecologist- honest!).

My childhood dentist was the same way!! I feel that is one of the main reasons I am so afraid of dentists today. And for me I would rather go through childbirth, for the third time, without pain medication than sit in a dentist's chair. :(

My childhood dentist was the same way!! I feel that is one of the main reasons I am so afraid of dentists today. And for me I would rather go through childbirth, for the third time, without pain medication than sit in a dentist's chair. :(

We went every 6 months to the dentist, since I was a little kid in the 1950s. I can't really say if a cleaning was done or just a check-up. But I agree with you and the PP, there never was any novocaine. And I needed many fillings. I can remember holding on to the dentist's chair so hard my fingers ached. And it was torture. It was the opposite of pain-free. After I was grown and gone, I asked mom why we didn't get novocaine. She said she thought we didn't need it! Same mom didn't believe me that I couldn't read the blackboard at school. Then I failed a school eye exam. Was wearing glasses soon after.

I still see the dentist every 6 mos. But any time something needs to be done which might cause pain, I get novocaine. I usually ask for a 2nd dose, and the dentist knows the history of why I'm so apprehensive.

My first dentist visit would have been in the early '70's and I can still see that big, hairy hand with the huge stainless steel syringe coming at my face...:scared1: Compared to all your stories about not having been frozen I guess I should consider it a blessing!

I also wonder if I'm being ripped off- my dentist claims that 'some people's teeth just don't hold fillings well.'

I have found that there are many dentists out there to rip people off sadly and do unnecessary work.

I did not go to a dentist for a long time after college and since I was 5 hrs from my regular family dentist I went to a local one who claimed both my husband and I had $2,000+ of work EACH. I was horrified but believed him since I had not been to a dentist in a long time. I decided to get the work done by my family dentist who I trusted and drove home (5 hrs) to find out I only had two small cavities! If I had gone with the local dentist I would have had so much unnecessary work not to mention how much money it would have cost!

We now drive 2 hrs to go to our family dentist. We have tried multiple dentists in the Chicago area, all who claimed that we needed fillings replaced, etc... that were not bothering us, or tell us to replace silver fillings with the white fillings. I just don't trust any other dentist.

I am very grateful that our family dentist in Wisconsin will not do unnecessary work and treats us fairly. I don't know what I will do when he retires!

My dentist did say that beware of dentists that advertise and have a ton of coupons out there because from his experience those ones will encourage you to have more work done.

Just wanted to add that yes there are dental insurances in the US that pay well. We have Delta Dental but apparently a much different plan than some. Filling on average run us $25-$30 each, my newest crown was $358 total OOP. I have 3 more filling to do and was quoted $79 for them when I go in next month. However my company has amazing benefit plans so I'm not surprised. FWIW I pay $44.60 a month for this particular dental plan for my family of 4.

However my company has amazing benefit plans so I'm not surprised. FWIW I pay $44.60 a month for this particular dental plan for my family of 4.

Does your employer make a contribution in addition to what you pay?

I'm sure they do :) we have great benefits at my company, they actually pay 100% of my medical and I pay for my family. The dental is extra but very low cost.

I'm sure they do :) we have great benefits at my company, they actually pay 100% of my medical and I pay for my family. The dental is extra but very low cost.

Then it's really hard for people to compare. We are offered Delta Dental but have no employer contribution. Doesn't mean your plan costs less, only that you pay less.

I'd never consider comparing insurance plans without considering their total cost. Usually (but not always) you pay more for better coverage. I was really replying to the poster that said there was no good dental coverage in the US or the ones who say Delta Dental is always bad coverage. I'll be clearer next time ;)

We pay $42 a month for family dental (MetLife) through DH's employer. It is not good coverage if we don't use a MetLife preferred dentist, much better if we use an in network one. I just had a 2 surface composite posterior filling, dentist charged $101, network allowed price is $97, of that they pay 80%, so I owe $19.40. The OP said her dentist charged about $250 for a similar filling, maybe it is a regional price difference?

We pay $42 a month for family dental (MetLife) through DH's employer. It is not good coverage if we don't use a MetLife preferred dentist, much better if we use an in network one. I just had a 2 surface composite posterior filling, dentist charged $101, network allowed price is $97, of that they pay 80%, so I owe $19.40. The OP said her dentist charged about $250 for a similar filling, maybe it is a regional price difference?

Yes, there's something called UCR (usual and customary rate) that is different for each zip code, probably that the insurance companies use to set the fees for offices that are in their network. Sucky thing is that they actually PAY 25% less than these fees to the dentists and they aren't allowed to bill the patient for the extra so many dental practices will bill for other codes that DO pay to make up the difference. For instance, if you are diagnosed with needing a couple of crowns on teeth that have never had crowns or don't have pieces broken off the sides, most likely they won't need a "build-up," but dentists will charge for them to make up the difference that the insurance company doesn't pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter