Is my 20D overkill to carry around the parks?

Marimar

Mouseketeer
I really don't mind its weight and it would be in a bag when not in use. I would probably have my 28-90 mm lense.

Any comments/suggestions?

I took my Nikon D70 (about the same size as your 20D) to the parks on my last trip. I also had my camera bag with other lenses,external flash and batteries. I didn't feel like the camera itself was overkill but the bag sure was. It was a PITA. That's why I'm planning on getting a "walk around" lens. I have an 18-70 and a 70-300. I'm probably going to sell them and get the Nikon 18-200 (with Image Stabilization). I have a few primes that I'm going to keep. I'll also get a new "SLR" type bag for it with enough room for my batteries/mem cards and my external flash.

No it would not be overkill. I carried my 20D plus a bag full of accessories last May to WDW spent five days the park with no problems. It would be a good idea to get a good camera bag, that is easy to carry and is comfortable. The one thing that bothers me about carrying the 20D around is the strap that Canon provides, it is very uncomfortable. I plan on buying a Lowepro strap this week to solve that problem. Have fun and bring back some wonderful pictures for us to see :wave:

Charade said:
That's why I'm planning on getting a "walk around" lens. I have an 18-70 and a 70-300. I'm probably going to sell them and get the Nikon 18-200 (with Image Stabilization).

This is what I did. I just got the 18-200mm lens. I'm still taking my 18-70 and 70-300 because I just recieved the 18-200 yesterday and I leave for WDW tomorrow. The 18-200 allows me to walk around without my camera case. I just throw an extra memory card and battery in DW's backpack and we're good to go.

Ken

We-Luv-Disney said:
No it would not be overkill. I carried my 20D plus a bag full of accessories last May to WDW spent five days the park with no problems. It would be a good idea to get a good camera bag, that is easy to carry and is comfortable. The one thing that bothers me about carrying the 20D around is the strap that Canon provides, it is very uncomfortable. I plan on buying a Lowepro strap this week to solve that problem. Have fun and bring back some wonderful pictures for us to see :wave:

I just bought the Op/Tech Super Classic strap for just this reason (BH Photo). It's comfortable and stretchy and also has these little rubber bumps on the inside of the strap so that it doesn't slip off your shoulder. Plus, it's longer than the Canon strap. I haven't taken it to the parks yet (January can't come quick enough) but so far I really like it.

I carry my DSLR all over WDW. Just the camera over my shoulder. I put one or two lenses in the backpack we are carrying anyway but never carry my big flash unit. For me, night time at Disney World is all about the colorful lighting in the parks.

I took my 20D to our Aug. trip, I ended up taking more shots with the kids point and shoot digicams(both decent).

I was our first trip so I was too busy enjoying the trip to do any serious photog stuff.

But Disneyland, I actually take PHOTO only trips(using 20d) with no getting on rides and such. But then again we have been AP holders since 94 and make many visits a month.

I took my DRebel with a Tamron 18-200mm lens for an 8 day trip in October. It was literally hanging on my neck almost every waking moment (took 1300 pics with it). I had no trouble at all. I have a soft case that fits very closely to the profile of the camera, and I would use this when not using the camera to prevent scratches, etc. Also, we bought some very large (storage size) ziplock bags - and I would keep a folded up bag in my pocket so when we went on water rides, the camera was zipped safely in the bag.

Have a great time!

PaulD said:
I just bought the Op/Tech Super Classic strap for just this reason (BH Photo). It's comfortable and stretchy and also has these little rubber bumps on the inside of the strap so that it doesn't slip off your shoulder. Plus, it's longer than the Canon strap. I haven't taken it to the parks yet (January can't come quick enough) but so far I really like it.
Hi Paul, I am about to order the Op/Tech pro strap from B+H, I saw many great reviews over at Dpreview. It looks like it will be much better than the canon strap.

We-Luv-Disney said:
Hi Paul, I am about to order the Op/Tech pro strap from B+H, I saw many great reviews over at Dpreview. It looks like it will be much better than the canon strap.

Great! I hope you like it as much as I do!

for those not wanting to carry camera bags a photography vest is a great investment, I can fit everything in the pockets of that, it doesn't get heavy, never a need to remember to pick it up and if you keep the large pocket open there's a place for the camera in case of rain..

That's an expensive rig you have,,, make sure it is insured incase it is lost/stolen. i did this for a camera i had,, all i did was call my insurance company, (homeowners) and they added a rider,, i think it was 5 bucks or something,, might be a bit more now but it is worth it.

So no I would say it isn't overkill. The pictures you take will be priceless. And as far as carrying the camera and accessories, here is the bag I have and it works great. You can carry the camera with a lens and two additional lenses, or in my case one lens and numerous filters, and other needed items. AND it is a fanny pack style and easy to carry around a park. I carried it around Seaworld for two days last month with no issues at all.

Off Trail

For years I carried my Rebel G with a battery pack and a Sigma 28-200 lens.

On my recent trip I carried my Digital Rebel with the 18-55 kit lens that it came with.

Both of those cameras are roughly comperable to a 20D in size and shape, although the 20D is a bit heavier than either.

Carrying a heavy DSLR around all day will be painful without a really comfy strap. I have a custom cotton webbing strap that I made, which is long enough to sling the camera over my neck and shoulder while I carry it but still allow me to take a shot comfortably.

My preference has always been to have a single lens on the camera and carry no extra lenses.

Yes it is overkill but that's the great thing about having a top end camera, sure is overkill but when you come back you have shots others would kill for ;)

I am just back and I took my Canon 10D, along with 2x “L” series lens, external flash and all the batteries and cards you would need in a bag. It a bit of a pain humping it around but if like me you enjoy taking photos you find it worth while. Now I was lucky in that we always had some stay with our 21 month year old so they could watch the bag while I got on the rides however what I missed was taking a compact on the rides of shots. I don't mind damaging a £300 compact or even losing it but my 10D and lens I start to cry if I damaged them LOL so no rides. So take a compact also as it is a family holiday and you miss these from your collection if you don't take them.

By the way you will have the park photo pass people checking out your kit and thinking, here someone that will never use our service but actually I did because how else do you get the full family in a photo, however and I am not just saying this but some of the character photos where I took the pictures and so did the photo pass people, mine turned out as good if not better in most cases.

By the way don’t forget to get the mad photos that everyone with a compact never try to get ;)

IMG_0942.JPG

it's not overkill if that's what you shoot with....if you're not going to use it what's the point in owning it,

tha last time I was at WDW I walked around with 2 Minolta 9000's around my neck, one with motordrive one without, plus a minolta point and shoot, just in case...LOL

and a camera bag on my shoulder...if you're used to carrying that kind of gear it's no big deal,

as far as using it on rides...I've taken my 9000's on hundreds of rollercoaster rides, without damage,, strap around neck and both hands on camera, no need to worry...if a ride gets too wild, hold onto the ride with one hand and cradle the camera against your chest with the other.

as I stated earlier, I have since discovered the advantages of a good photographers vest, everything fits in the vest no need for a bag and everything is at hand, I like my vest so much that I just bought my second one last week, I now have a khaki colored for warm weather, and I just got a black one for cooler weather use.. I stumbled upon 2 places to get them for half the price of most photot stores...

Hi all!

I have a D70 with several lense. My walking around lens is a 28-100. My question is what do you do with the camera/ bag when on a ride such as Space Mountain? Take it with you?

Thanks

wingawh said:
Hi all!

I have a D70 with several lense. My walking around lens is a 28-100. My question is what do you do with the camera/ bag when on a ride such as Space Mountain? Take it with you?

Thanks

I just got back from WDW and didn't have much trouble. Most of the time you can simply put the camera bag at your feet and put you legs through the straps to secure it. I had a pretty big backpack/camera bag that I used for this trip and I was able to carry several lenses with me (as well as clothes and other stuff for my kids). Space Mountain would not have worked with a large bag. For this one I had to just leave my bag with one of my group. This is one of the benefits of having smaller children that won't go on the big rides. There's always someone with them while we do a baby swap to hold onto you gear. If you don't have kids you can always use one of the lockers. It's not quite as convenient though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter