Is Mission Space all that bad?

AlienBrain

Disney Fan Since '84
I am about to go to WDW for my first time since MS has opened up in Epcot. I keep hearing people say how bad MS is and how you must avoid the Orange at all costs, don't risk it ... blah blah blah.

I am a 23 year old guy who works out every week. I have been on plenty of bad roller coasters and simulators. Should I really be concerned with MS Orange? I personally have spun a teacup pretty fast before to where I was stuck to the side of the thing and I didn't get much more than a little disoriented for a minute or so after I was off of it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I was terrified of getting on Mission Space after my girlfriend had to throw up in her hat on the ride. Once they opened the less lethal entrance I gave it a try and really enjoyed it. Don't know if I'll ever ride with the big boys but you could check it out and then decide whether to go on it full-speed.

I was terrified of getting on Mission Space after my girlfriend had to throw up in her hat on the ride. Once they opened the less lethal entrance I gave it a try and really enjoyed it. Don't know if I'll ever ride with the big boys but you could check it out and then decide whether to go on it full-speed.

I didn't get a chance to ride the orange side because the line was over an hour long, while green was a measly 10 mins. lol

Is it much different than those rides at other amusement parks where you stand up in this washing machine thing and it spins, making you stick to the wall? if it is like that, then I will be fine. I really want to try it next time but not if it will ruin my day.

No way. GO, enjoy. If you don't yak on the teacups, its all good. I think its much less "upsetting" than the cups because you don't have the visual cues that you are spinning.

All the stories had me going, too. We skipped it on TWO trips, and now I am appalled! It is really excellent.

Some guests report not feeling "right" for the rest of the day, so ride it later if you can. Remember to keep your head straight and don't close your eyes. I didn't feel the spinning at all, but the G force was pretty strong during takeoff, and when you do the slingshot. I think you'll be ok.

I am about to go to WDW for my first time since MS has opened up in Epcot. I keep hearing people say how bad MS is and how you must avoid the Orange at all costs, don't risk it ... blah blah blah.

I am a 23 year old guy who works out every week. I have been on plenty of bad roller coasters and simulators. Should I really be concerned with MS Orange? I personally have spun a teacup pretty fast before to where I was stuck to the side of the thing and I didn't get much more than a little disoriented for a minute or so after I was off of it.

When we visited WDW in 2004 Mission Space had just opened (not offically) and they were "tweaking" the ride (Not my words, from a CM)

I got motion sick, (No external ejections!) as did about five or six others in our groups of four (several did avail themselves of the trash recepticles!). I have flown extensively in small aircraft and Helos for long periods of time, sometimes in very bad weather, at night, during turblance etc. so I am used to all sorts of motion and pressures. That was an experience. I thought it was GREAT!!

I understand now that they have "tamed" it somewhat, which is probably smart, in that WDW dosn't to have to keep cleaning the exit area!

We noticed after we returned from our trip, that WDW actually released a story about "toning down" the ride. I understand why.

Pirate Translation:
Aaarrrhhhh arrrggghhh. GAR, me embarked on "ta journey wil high hopes 'O merrment and glee 'ta the adventure of the god of war. Ol Grumpy be not ashamed to tell his shipmates that me tucker and grog came a'near 'O partin of our ways. Even tho I be a seafari'n man since I 'wa but a lad, bravin the Typhoon 'O the Pacific and the Hurricane of the Atlantic. 'an me bein on crew of silver birrrds and hummingbirds in gale and dark of night, with devil's wind A'blowin. Ye be mindful shipmates, the scallywags what crew the journey to the red planet be gleefull of our misery and lamentations of ill.
Arrrhhhh arrggghh!

If you've ever been on the Gravitron ride at a county fair,you know the one that spins around and sticks you to the wall,well it's the same thing except Mission Space in my opinion is less forceful and the amount of time that you feel the G's are only like for a few seconds,much less than on the Gravitron.If you're 23 years old,healthy and frequent thrill rides you should have no issues whatsoever.Millions of people visit Disney and ride Mission Space,the thing is most of these people would never ride a Gravitron at a fair,and even though M:S is weaker they just aren't in condition for the ride,they ride it because they're at Disney.Disney did good by putting in the mild side.

Of you're even slightly claustrophobic, my advice is to NOT go on M:S!

Of you're even slightly claustrophobic, my advice is to NOT go on M:S!

Very true....LOL. We are a family of 4 and when we went 2005 son was 6.5, daughter 10.5. While waiting in line, we were talking about the ride, hubby said he would try but was aprehensive, son was not hyped to say the least, daughter was yeah lets do this thing. Get on the ride, DS starts to cry can't reach the button, I said mommy will help you. Doors close panel comes towards me and I think Dear God I am about to die. Starting to panic because felt as though everyone was breathing my air (is it wrong to ask your family to stop sucking up the air???). Well i calm down. Flash forward to end of ride, DS is like yeah can we do that again, DD is hung over the garbage can, and has a green tinge, DH really didn't ride much for the rest of the trip.

Moral of the story...GO FOR IT!!!!

However if you are claustrophobic,you might have an issue on M:S.I've heard of people freaking out about how confined it feels. I have felt claustrophobic once on the Superman coaster at Six Flags in Georgia,but never had a problem on M:S.

even if you have motion sickness problems, you can ride MS...you can go on the side that doesn't spin....

but if you don't have problems with motion sickness, i would definitely try the "real' side at least once...

my 20 year old son rides it all the time with no problem at all.....he's been riding it since it first opened a few years ago....he rides the spinning side alone (the rest of us go on the non-spinning side)...

I can't ride the gravitron, spaceship 2000, it has different names in different places it is the ride that spins really fast and you stick to the wall from gravity...it is at most fairs etc. When I ride that I feel so sick for the rest of the day. I can't go on any rides that spin even the tilt a whirl makes me really sick. Mission space doesn't bother me at all! I was so surprised that it didn't. I have even went on it after a huge lunch and no sickness for me. I would imagine if you don't usually get sick from things you should have no problem with mission space.

My personal opinion is that if you are not motion sensetive you will be ok on MS. I do think that if you are even slightly claustrophobic you SHOULD NOT ride the ride. I thought I could handle it because I am not motion sensetive but I was very wrong. Within the first minute of the ride I was looking for the eject button. I felt like I wsas trapped in a coffin and it was horrible. If you are not claustrophopbic you should give it a try but just be warned it is tight quarters.

Some guests report not feeling "right" for the rest of the day, so ride it later if you can. Remember to keep your head straight and don't close your eyes. I didn't feel the spinning at all, but the G force was pretty strong during takeoff, and when you do the slingshot. I think you'll be ok.

This is a great response. I yak all the time on teacup like rides and have no problem at all with MS. I go every time....but I look straight at the screen. I recommend not even looking down at the buttons or joystick.:rotfl:

It's nothing like the tea cups at all!

I generally HATE thrill rides and will never again ride RnR. Tot . . . maybe, but it scares me to death. I've even been known to cry and black out on huge roller coasters like Goliath at Magic Mountain. I was very afraid to try Mission Space, but I LOVED it. As some of the other posters said, just keep looking forward and you should be okay. I didn't feel the spinning at all!

However if you are claustrophobic,you might have an issue on M:S.I've heard of people freaking out about how confined it feels. I have felt claustrophobic once on the Superman coaster at Six Flags in Georgia,but never had a problem on M:S.

Yea I have ridden that ride before. I didn't get claustrophobic. I just was scared that I would fall, face-first onto the ground if my harness released ... lol.

I rode Mission Space back in 2005 prior to all the changes. It was the only ride that made me a little queezy after just one ride. I have gone on everything else at WDW multiple times with no issues at all.

I have not gone on Mission Space again since that first time. It was a fun ride but it was a very small space, and I didn't care for the queezy feeling after. You were basically on a centrifuge spinning at a rate to simulate 2x gravity.

I don't know how it is after the changes, but my advise would be to try it and make your own judgement. Everyone will have their own thoughts about it.

:cool2:

rode this ride before they had 2 options. Rode the more aggressive side after you have two options and it seems to me the aggressive side isnt as bad rough as it was before they made changes. CM said they did make the more adventursome side less aggressive as well---still fun to ride. I agree--if you tolerated tea cups--this will be easy:goodvibes

If you've done the "gravitron" type ride you should be fine. I was expecting a lot more from it given the "hype" it had gotten w/making people sick and such.

I road it and enjoyed it a lot but didn't think it was that big of deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter