• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Mickey a Captain or a Jedi? Both! - May '15 Land & Sea ~ Updated 6/14: Trip Report Started!

Our Beach Club waitlist has not come through, but I think I’m going to contact our person before sending payment and ask her to check if there is any availability showing to make our Beach Club stay more than one night. And, if not, we’re still at Boardwalk, so it’s not a bad thing. ::yes::
That stinks. Hopefully they can try and get it for you. If not, yeah, Boardwalk isn't a bad alternative. Still close, but just doesn't have Stormalong Bay.

Another cruise note: We are signed up to participate in a Fish Extender gift exchange. I am NOT a crafty person, so anyone have suggestions for what we give?
I'm not the least bit crafty myself, sorry. But...

maybe some snacks from Goofy's Candy Company
Who doesn't like candy?

Okay, several of you have expressed interest in our plethora of ADRs, so I guess I should get that out there. I’m just really hoping nobody comes by to shame me for this…:blush: :cool:
You're a horrible, horrible person. :rolleyes1

This is a must-do for us. Breakfast at the Sci Fi with Star Wars characters (like Darth Vader) wandering around? Sign Dug up! :darth: I mean, Star Wars and bacon all at once?! :hyper:
The way you say it just makes it seem even more awesome.

Dug may want to be at DHS early if there are celebrities he wants to meet for SWW. So maybe just Izzy and I will go to this. Or there’s still the possibility of cancelling it. But I think it might just be a keeper, at least for two of us.
I think this will be a good one for you. I think you should definitely keep it for the 2 of you even if Dug heads to SWW that morning. I'm sure Izzy won't be too crazy about doing all Star Wars all the time anyway, so this might be an opportunity for everyone to get to do something they enjoy.

Can you see why I’m having problems letting these go? :confused3 So many of them depend upon other ones and they ultimately can’t be decided until Dug knows which Star Wars celebs will be there and on which days, so he knows when he wants to be at DHS early. Ugh. :headache:
I know, it really makes it hard. I understand completely.

Disney characters dressed as Star Wars characters? Sounds like a win for both Izzy and Dug! And, if they are happy, I am happy. And eating delicious desserts off of the buffet. :rotfl2: Again, this meal is a must-do for us. I like having the Fantasmic package this day, as 1.) We have not seen Fantasmic in forever (since 2010, I think?) 2.) Friday is supposed to be the least crowded day of SWW and 3.) That might give us a chance of leaving Fantasmic and finding a spot to watch the Star Wars fireworks right after. And, if not, we have plenty of other nights to do so. I hope to keep this ADR. But, if we have a SWW planning conflict, I have a few alternatives…(this is the point where any ADR police lurking should close their browsers and forget they ever saw this :rolleyes1).
Oh wow... didn't know you could get Fantasmic package with the character meal. That is awesome! I hope this one works out for you!

This would be even better if we can get the Beach Club Studio. But it’s not like it’s far from the Boardwalk. I will probably need a No Way Jose by this time in the trip. ::yes:: And I hear they have a yummy grilled cheese and tomato soup combo. Mmmmm. I think it’s probably late enough to be unlikely to conflict with SWW plans, but it could .
One of these days, I will eat there! I've still never been to Beaches and Cream. And that menu is right up my alley.

I'm sure you could find some really cool $1/$3 deals at Target using your discount for FE gifts. I'm clueless on gifts sorry. That's exactly why I didn't do it for our cruises. You should 'steal' some ideas from Karin (dizneeat) has been on TONS of cruises and always does the FE. She's also gotten lots of cool gifts from others.

I actually like the idea of doing a picture frame. You could just place it in a bag or a reusable Disney tote (thought i had seen some Disney ones at Target or the Dollar Store) and hang it from the stateroom door handle?

I really, really enjoyed breakfast at Cape May Cafe back in 2010. Wouldn't do it now with DS of course, but would totally go again when he's ready!

Wow so many SW meals!!! :hyper::cloud9: That's so awesome, excited to hear about those!

Definitely treat Palo ADR's like you would WDW ADR's. Spots go quick, especially on 'At Sea' days.

Your ADR schedule llooks awesome. I didn't know they had grilled cheese & tomato soup at B&C. Is that new? I don't remember there being any other vegetarian menu option other than that weird falafel thing. I was trying to see if any of our other days match up but I don't think they do.

I'm glad you're booking Palo brunch! For the check in, it's pretty simple for the cruise! Just choose your port arrival time first and then go from there. I know it took me about 4 minutes total to get the PAT, Palo brunch, register Aria for kids club and book the Cozumel excursion. Are you trying for the earliest PAT? Our port had a mishap and we weren't able to load until about 1 when we got to the port at 10:45, so that was a bit trying (and threw off my plans, instead Aria was napping when we boarded loL!). But I was glad to be one of the first on board regardless!

Hi -- I just started lurking on your other trip report. My daughter will be 18 moths on our December trip to WDW and on the Disney Dream, and your TR has so many great tips that I'm stealing to survive her first trip.

You just changed my life with this savings account. I had no idea it existed... I'm terrible with money (which has never been a problem for us before -- but we are down to one income while I stay at home with the baby and.... its really cramping my vacation style and require that I pay attention to every dime). Having an account I can throw $$ into for something REALLY specific is super helpful for my brain. Thanks!

In terms of the fish extenders, we've never used one. But for each cruise I've brought along a little stack of daily Disney quotes to match up to what we're doing that day --- "What would I pay to spend a day warm on the sand - Ariel" at Castaway Cay, "I wanna eat and eat and eat and eat and eat until I die -Goofy" for our Palo dinner--- for our door. They are sort of plain, but I seriously LOVE them... they get me into the spirit every morning (or evening -- I sometimes changed them during the day). Something like that might be fun (and cheap). I just printed out what I wanted, laminated at Fed Ex and put magnets on the back (glued the hard round ones, not the tape-on ones -- they curled up and wouldn't stay).

Seventeen ADRs

Okay, so I am doing a poor job of keeping this PTR going. :worried: Especially because I actually do have a ton that I want to write about. Between being sick, putting in long hours at work for our year-end close, and the DIS conversion throwing me off, I’ve been in a holding pattern. :snail: Time to break that, though!

First, a general trip update.

Our remaining DVC rental payment is due in about a week. Our Beach Club waitlist has not come through, but I think I’m going to contact our person before sending payment and ask her to check if there is any availability showing to make our Beach Club stay more than one night. And, if not, we’re still at Boardwalk, so it’s not a bad thing. ::yes::

I’ve heard that WDW ticket prices are likely to go up mid-February :sad2:. Because we need to buy a ticket for Dug, I think I am going to do that very soon. I had wanted to wait ($$$), but I don’t want to miss the cut-off and overpay. So, I guess that is where some of the money in our Disney Vacation Account is going. (For those that don’t know, the DVA is a real thing run by Disney – basically a "savings account" that you can use to make payments on your trip. For me, it’s handy because I pay in Disney Gift Cards (discounted 5% from Target) and it allows you to deposit those. Therefore, I only have to make one payment versus reading off 8 or 9 gift card numbers to buy a ticket. Plus, they give you bonuses for spending certain amounts, so that will be nice too).

March 4th is our cruise final payment/check-in/reservation date. So, we’ll need to drop nearly two grand on that :faint:, then make sure we get our Palo reservation and nursery time and port arrival time squared away. I know that I saw a great what-to-expect-at-check-in primer with screenshots, so I need to study up on that come March! :teacher:

Another cruise note: We are signed up to participate in a Fish Extender gift exchange. I am NOT a crafty person, so anyone have suggestions for what we give? :listen: There will be a max of 15 families in our group and they are a mixed bag of adults w/o kids, parents and toddlers, parents and older kids, and more. Oh, and dogs at home – someone wanted that info for gifts too :dog2:. I don’t want to go too crazy, as getting something for each member of 15 families can add up fast, but I also want to give something nice. I thought of maybe decorating picture frames with cruise-related stuff. But I don’t know how that would work, as each person has their own pocket on a Fish Extender (I think), so I don’t know how I’d give a “family” gift. I also had thought of picking up some things in WDW - maybe some snacks from Goofy's Candy Company or small things from Downtown Disney? I’m sure there are TONS of great ideas out there, though, so you pinteresting folks feel free to brainstorm for me! :goodvibes :flower3:

Finally, we have our Fast Pass+ reservation window opening on March 15th. Hope I have some clue of SWW stuff by then, so we can select them carefully. Can’t hoard FP+, unfortunately! :sad2: :rotfl:

Okay, several of you have expressed interest in our plethora of ADRs, so I guess I should get that out there. I’m just really hoping nobody comes by to shame me for this…:blush: :cool:

Breakfasts

Sunday, May 17th – 8am – Star Wars Dine-In Galactic Breakfast at the Sci Fi

This is a must-do for us. Breakfast at the Sci Fi with Star Wars characters (like Darth Vader) wandering around? Sign Dug up! :darth: I mean, Star Wars and bacon all at once?! :hyper:

Monday, May 18th – 8:15am – Crystal Palace

Okay, this is the breakfast I will probably cancel first. Because we leave for our cruise that morning. It doesn’t make any sense to waste a day of park admission when we could/should be heading to the boat. But I just have that little paranoid part of me going, “But what if the SWW schedule comes out and switches up our plans so much that we need this and are willing to do it?” Unlikely, but I guess I have a problem. :crazy2:

Saturday, May 23rd – 7:30am – Cape May Café

This would be better if we were staying at the Beach Club. But that is still in waitlist world, so who knows. And Dug may well want to be at DHS by this time, since it’s the weekend. But, if not, it would be a nice way to start the day. Lauren and I did this meal in June and it was great – and Minnie is there! ::MinnieMo

Sunday, May 24th – 8:15am – Akershus

I have never had a meal here and initially grabbed it to have a pre-park opening meal at Epcot, since we are walking distance at the Boardwalk (or Beach Club). But, now, I am even more interested in this, as Izzy has grown much more fond of the princesses. princess: She knows all the names of the Disney princesses in her storybooks now! I think she’d get a kick out of this! Again, Dug may want to be at DHS early if there are celebrities he wants to meet for SWW. So maybe just Izzy and I will go to this. Or there’s still the possibility of cancelling it. But I think it might just be a keeper, at least for two of us.

And now we start hitting the duplicates…

Monday, May 25th – 8:15am – Crystal Palace

We knew we wanted a pre-park-opening ADR here on our trip. But, given all the SWW possible commitments, it had to be on a non-weekend (Fri.-Sun.) day. And this is basically our only choice, other than trying to cram it in before heading to the port. I think we will keep this and have it be our MK day (it’s Memorial Day). The only thing that might make me give this up is if Be Our Guest starts serving breakfast. :scratchin

Tuesday, May 26th – 8:00am - Star Wars Dine-In Galactic Breakfast at the Sci Fi

Um, yep. This is our second of a highly-coveted ADR at a really good time. I actually didn’t have this right away, as I didn’t know immediately that SWW character meals are actually offered every day of the week, not just weekends. So, once I learned that, I grabbed this. If Dug has other priorities he will need to focus on the other day we have this ADR, this is a good back-up. But it is our departure day, so we’d be a burning a day of his ticket just going into the park for breakfast, then leaving (probably around 10am on the ME). I’m hoping we can use our other ADR and cancel this one, as that will free us up for our other breakfast this day:

Tuesday, May 26th – 9:15am – Cape May Café

So. I want this earlier. And those times were available. But I can’t make it any earlier because of the previous ADR. I mean, we will have to eat and run at this time. But this is the meal I really want this day. If/when we cancel the Sci Fi one, I can try to score an earlier time, I guess. Can you see why I’m having problems letting these go? :confused3 So many of them depend upon other ones and they ultimately can’t be decided until Dug knows which Star Wars celebs will be there and on which days, so he knows when he wants to be at DHS early. Ugh. :headache:

The rest of our breakfasts will be in the room, most likely. I want to grab some breakfast foods from the store and bring our microwave egg sandwich cooker thing and make use of our kitchenette. This worked really well in Hawaii – cheap and tasty egg muffin sandwiches in the room! :thumbsup2

Lunch

Not much action here. We will likely do a lot of quick service or maybe even bring some sandwiches or something if we can’t trim our ADR costs a bit more. :teacher:

Thursday, May 14th – Flower & Garden Food Booths

Technically not an ADR, but a must-do for us. This is our arrival day and we get in around noon. I’m hoping to graze around a bit, as we are planning for Epcot this day. I'm excited to see what our options will be! :cool1:

Saturday, May 16th – 1:10pm – 50’s Prime Time

It’s no secret that DHS doesn’t have a lot of great dining options. And we will be there so much that I started thinking about lunch options. And Lauren and I had a good time here in August, so why not go back and bring Dug? And I can have the pot roast and shake I missed out on last time. This is an if-fy ADR, though, as it may get wiped for a SWW event instead, depending on what they have going on (shows).

Saturday, May 23rd – 1:20pm – Brown Derby

Who doesn’t love a good Cobb Salad for lunch? And if we stick to that and don’t go crazy, this can be a relatively cheap TS meal. Again, totally SWW schedule dependent, though.

Dinner

And it gets messier…:earseek:

Thursday, May 14th – 5:15pm – Garden Grill

I really wanted to go back here. It wasn’t spinning last time, so I’d like to right that wrong. :upsidedow But Izzy also loves Chip and Dale (and Mickey and Pluto), so what a perfect way to start our trip (arrival night). And it’s the only day that I can confidently say we’ll be in Epcot. Of course, the timing isn’t great, because we’ll have been munching from the F&G Booths that afternoon, so may not be hungry for a family-style meal. :sad1: So, I’m a bit conflicted on this. (Man, I feel so wishy-washy on ADRs compared to normal o_O).

Friday, May 15th – 5:00pm – Jedi Mickey’s Star Wars Dine at Hollywood & Vine WITH Fantasmic Package

Disney characters dressed as Star Wars characters? Sounds like a win for both Izzy and Dug! And, if they are happy, I am happy. And eating delicious desserts off of the buffet. :rotfl2: Again, this meal is a must-do for us. I like having the Fantasmic package this day, as 1.) We have not seen Fantasmic in forever (since 2010, I think?) 2.) Friday is supposed to be the least crowded day of SWW and 3.) That might give us a chance of leaving Fantasmic and finding a spot to watch the Star Wars fireworks right after. And, if not, we have plenty of other nights to do so. I hope to keep this ADR. But, if we have a SWW planning conflict, I have a few alternatives…(this is the point where any ADR police lurking should close their browsers and forget they ever saw this :rolleyes1).

Saturday, May 16th – 5:00pm – T-Rex w/Lauren and Aria and friends

Planning a DIS-meet meal with Lauren (Imagineer5) and her travel party! We have never been to T-Rex, but Izzy and Dug both love dinosaurs, so why not? This will be a good ADR to force us to leave DHS for a bit and enjoy some Downtown Disney time. And it will be great to see our friends!

Friday, May 22nd – 5:40pm - Jedi Mickey’s Star Wars Dine at Hollywood & Vine

This is the day we get back from the cruise. No Fantasmic package on this one. Kind-of wish there was, but didn’t know I could do that when I made this one. If the previous Friday doesn’t work out, this is probably our best back-up. But just in case…

Saturday, May 23rd – 4:45pm - Jedi Mickey’s Star Wars Dine at Hollywood & Vine

I’m not sure there’s anything left to say at this point…:lmao:

Sunday, May 24th – 7:10pm – Beaches & Cream

This would be even better if we can get the Beach Club Studio. But it’s not like it’s far from the Boardwalk. I will probably need a No Way Jose by this time in the trip. ::yes:: And I hear they have a yummy grilled cheese and tomato soup combo. Mmmmm. I think it’s probably late enough to be unlikely to conflict with SWW plans, but it could .

Monday, May 25th – 4:45pm - Jedi Mickey’s Star Wars Dine at Hollywood & Vine

Again. But this one I made once I realized weekdays were fair game too. So, if SWW is too demanding to allow us to attend one of the others, this one should work. But I’d rather not, as this is our MK day and we’d have to hop for dinner.

And the dinner I think I’m most likely to cancel first…

Monday, May 25th – 6:05pm – Trattoria Al Forno

Notice this is the same night as the other, by the way. I added this after the fact, once I realized it was a new place and we were staying right by it. I do need to read some reviews, but unless they are amazeballs, I think this is going to go. One, we will probably still be at the MK. And two, we can have good Italian food in lots of places – not sure this is a stand-out. And, if we do drop it and want to go, I bet we could get a last-minute or even walk-up ressie, especially staying at the Boardwalk. So, we’ll see.

So, there’s the 17. Whew. :faint:

For anyone questioning my overabundance of ADRs, I will just mention this: I have been on both ends of the ADR spectrum – the early-bird-gets-the-ADR and the last-minute-trip-scramble. And it’s people like the first that allow people like the second to get their ADRs. And it takes dedication on either end. For the SWW meals, I was following the SWW master thread very closely and jumped when meals were announced. I was in bed at like midnight on my phone making ADRs. For our short-notice June trip, Lauren and I were stalking for cancellations and got what we wanted, with some patience and tenacity. Right now, there are people lamenting the fact that they can’t get a SWW meal. But I guarantee that I am not the only one in this situation and plenty of cancellations will show up once the SWW schedule/celebrity list is released. Hopefully those people without ADRs think to check back. But I still feel a bit guilty right now when I see one of those posts. :tiptoe:

Anyway, feel free to shoot any advice/thoughts/reactions/reviews my way. I have never felt so insecure about my ADR line-up. Thankfully, we just have to make a Palo Brunch reservation for our cruise and the rest of our cruise dining is set! So, there’s that. :thumbsup2

Oh and one more thing -- given that you have a lot of ADRs -- some of them, like Crystal Palace and Akershus -- if you want to save a little moolah this time around, all of the characters (not Start Wars, of course) are SO much easier to see on the ship. This is a big reason that my in-laws like to go and take their grandkids after the parks. On the ship there is more time to spend with the characters, you can see them a few times and they are just way more accessible than at the character breakfasts. It's a great benefit and easy way to spend your time doing other things at the parks instead of waiting in line to see characters or dropping $40.00 per adult to have breakfast with them.

I didn't know about the DVA, will look into that. We've bought some Disney GCs for the boys with their Christmas/Birthday money. I spent full price on some of them and some discounted at BJs but not as good as Target. I think before we go I'll buy a bunch of cards to use for food and such. Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup2

Your ADRs look great. You really got the Star Wars meals covered. :rotfl2:

I think it's good how you booked a bunch so you're sure to get a time that works for you. Plus, you might really make someone very happy when they score a reservation last minute. ::yes::

I thought I had commented on this ADR insanity but who knows?

I love all your choices and think you should keep every single one! :rotfl2:

But in all seriousness, you have some great choices! I know it all really depends on what happens with the SWW weekend schedule.

And just think how happy you're going to make someone when you drop an ADR?? It will magically open up for them and make their day! You're really doing some other Disney visitor a kindness! :rotfl:

Oh man I can see why you are holding on to 17 ADRs, it's so hard to know what is going to work until you are there! I had a similar predicament for our December trip. I spent so much time planning, stalking & changing ADRs before we went just not knowing what was going to work for us.
It really is so hard to plan when there are so many unknown variables. Ugh, I really don't like this uncertainty. Not even knowing what our park days are is crazy to me. :crazy2:

This probably won't work for you but we did Garden Grove at the Swan in December on a Friday night and it was AWESOME. It's not hard to get an ADR as far as I have seen. Chip, Dale, Pluto and Goofy. Seafood buffet was absolutely amazing and it's not crowded and tons and tons of attention with the characters. We have it booked again in July. It was probably our best meal of the trip in December (and we were there 11 nights) for food and characters. The menu is different other nights of the week and the characters are different. I'm not sure if Chip and Dale are there other nights and I think Friday might be the only night there are 4 characters but of course... subject to change ;)
Thank you for mentioning this! :goodvibes I need to look into it, as I really don't know anything about it, but it's in the area we'll be in and could be a viable option. Thanks!

I hope you are able to get your wait list for BCV. Not that it would be awful to spend both legs of the trip at BWV but getting to try out BCV would be awesome! Once you know for sure where you are staying it might make a few of those ADRs easier to decide on. We booked Cape May Cafe for breakfast for Gavin's birthday in July. Daniel and I ate dinner there in 2009 but we've never done breakfast. Trying to squeeze in a few more character meals before we have to start paying for him after he's 3 ;)
Hoping for BCV still, but our DVC person checked the other day and none of the other nights is available. So, we'll see. And, ugh, I'm not looking forward to paying for buffets and admission once Izzy turns 3! It's coming up too fast! Unless something changes, this will be our last trip before that happens. :sad1:

Once you narrow down your schedule and know which duplicates to cancel You'll feel better.
Absolutely! Here's hoping the Star Wars Weekend celebrity guests are announced soon! We're less than 3 months out now, so this is driving me crazy! :hyper:

Wow - lot coming up for you. I don't have a ton of thoughts for the fish extender. I would think that a family gift along with maybe some candy would work well. Especially if you haven't really gotten to know them much beforehand (not sure how much communication happens before the event)
Yeah, the thread isn't very active, so I really don't know them very well. I found a thread about the "best FE gifts you've received" and got some ideas from there to consider. Just need to finalize the group and then figure out what we want to go with, I guess.

BTW - did hear one tip with the Disney Vacation Account and that was to make sure you keep your gift cards even after you deposit the amount because if you ever need to take your money out they can only return it in the form you deposited from and if you got rid of the card you would be out of luck
Yeah, I keep big stacks of Disney gift cards! I actually just finally tossed a bunch of used ones we had from past trips. Still have a stack of the more recent ones.

As for your ADRs - first, at this point having extra before you know the final SWW plans, etc. makes total sense and I know you will cancel the ones you won't use etc.
Thanks! I just hate hogging so many for so long. But I did just see on the SWW thread that someone has to cancel their trip and listed all the ADRs they were canceling and it was at least as many SWW meals as me, probably several more. So, I'm surely not the only one. I think, once more info is released, there will be a second wave of open ADRs hitting the market.

For the specific ones. That is great you got the SWW breakfast - I am sure that will be fun and I saw reviews where you can trade with the jawas that I bet will be cool
That's right, I saw the thing about trading too. I'll have to make sure Dug knows about that! :thumbsup2 (Okay, just did and he thought that was cool!)

We've done Akershus a few times (both breakfast and lunch) and enjoyed it. The breakfast was pretty darn good (they have great cheesy potatoes as part of it) and you get to knock out a bunch of princesses at once and we've had pretty good interaction in the past. So if Izzy is (getting) into princesses I would lean towards keeping it (at least for you and Izzy)
Mmmm, cheesy potatoes! She is really into princesses lately. And I've always been interested in trying Akershus. I think it will likely stay in our lineup.

One good thing is I think the Cape May Cafe isn't that hard to get ADRs for so shouldn't be too bad to move that breakfast up on the 26th Assuming keeping the other SWW breakfast works out
That's true. But it was tricky finding early ones in June. Hoping we can get what we want/need once we finalize our plans.

One thing to watch with the Fantasmic! package is I don't know what time show that package is for and then what time the SW fireworks are. I know we had the package during the Frozen summer fun last year and it was tight to get out of Fantasmic! and to an area we could watch the fireworks from. So, depending on timing of things you might want to plan one night to have the fireworks be the priority and not do Fantasmic! that evening
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The package is for the first show and that's right before the fireworks. My thinking is that, if it's not terribly crowded, we might be able to get out of the show and see them from somewhere a bit off the beaten path (maybe even outside the gates? - I think it was Rob that did that?) Then plan another night to get a better view. We should have plenty of nights to do that. And I don't want to do the late Fantasmic with Izzy. In fact, Fantasmic isn't really a necessity either, but it's been a long time since we've seen it and I hear the package seating is better now, so why not? Hoping Izzy would be okay for it, since I know it can scare some kids.

As a side note, we thought doing the Fantasmic! package at the Brown Derby was a pretty decent deal as, even though it didn't indicate as such on the website, it including appetizer, entree, and dessert
That's a good reminder. If we need to cancel the SWW meal that has Fantasmic attached, this might be another chance to get the package.

I saw one review of Trattoria al Forno and it sounded good but no "amazeballs" (by the way, a local brewery near me makes an IPA called "Amazeballs" and it is pretty amazeballs)
I think we'll likely let that ADR go. I've seen others saying the reviews aren't great. And it's just not at the top of our list. And we need to shorten the list.

Hope things work out getitng the Palo brunch - I've literally only read great things about that (some mixed things for dinner - but only positives for the brunch)

Good luck!
The brunch sounds pretty amazing! Super excited for that! :cool1:

Oh wow, you definitely have some choices to make! It's so hard planning without knowing exactly what you'll want to be doing. I'm experiencing that now with our April trip - not so much ADR-wise, but it's tough planning around potential nap times.
Yeah, the wildcards make it tricky. I'm hoping we'll be able to get our act together a lot more once we have more detailed SWW info available.

Good luck with your BCV waitlist, although BWV is great, too!
I'm thinking we might be at BWV, since still nothing for BCV. But we've still got a few months, so maybe something will open up.

Also, good luck with booking the Palo brunch. If you don't get it online before you go, just go there to book once you're onboard, and you shouldn't have any issues getting a reservation!
Thanks, that helps! :goodvibes Really looking forward to it!

Hi, joining in :wave2:. We will be there at the same time for our first F&G and SWW. I am with you on the ADR hoarding:blush:. I didn't plan it but there is just so much up in the air with SWW. Hopefully, we can both make some decisions once they announce everything.
:welcome: Wow, good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this. Good luck with yours too! We'll have to see if we're crossing paths during our trips! :goodvibes

I absolutely understand about your crazy list of ADRs - considering what big Star Wars fans you are, you definitely need to take part in those special Star Wars meals! You'll rearrange and cancel the ones you don't need, but you'll kick yourself if you miss out and can't book something later. :-)
The meals sound really fun! And a good way to knock off some character meets without the lines! I'm not a huge Star Wars person, but Dug is and Izzy will love the Fab 5 dressed as Star Wars characters.

I loved Akershus when we went in 2012, and we plan to go again this year. It was cut in 2013 due to our shorter trip, but I ADORED the coffee and the fresh bagels with lingonberry cream cheese. The plate of hot food (eggs, bacon, sausage, and cheesy potatoes) was also above-par when compared to the other breakfasts. I think you'd enjoy it! :goodvibes
Sounds yummy! :thumbsup2

We have an ADR at Beaches and Cream just six hours before you! :laughing: I'm really excited to eat there - it was on Anika's short list of "must-do's" as it's always fallen off the list. We'll likely be leaving for the dark side shortly after we finish our meal, but perhaps if you have a mid-day break at the Boardwalk (or even better, the Beach Club if you waitlist comes through!) we should see if our paths can cross.
Oh, funny, same day and everything! I'll have to keep that in mind once we know our plans (or remind me, if I forget). It's been a long time since we've been to Beaches 'n' Cream!

You'll have to let us know as your ADR list gets refined!
Will do! :goodvibes

That stinks. Hopefully they can try and get it for you. If not, yeah, Boardwalk isn't a bad alternative. Still close, but just doesn't have Stormalong Bay.
I had her check and still no availability that weekend (except for the one night we already have at the end). She's going to keep an eye out for us, though. We at least have access to Stormalong Bay our last full day (and travel morning), which doesn't conflict with SWW, so that's good. But if the weather's bad or something, we're out of luck.

I'm not the least bit crafty myself, sorry. But...
I think there's a high likelihood of us buying our stuff and/or paying someone else to be crafty.

Who doesn't like candy?
Exactly! I think there's a good chance of this too. :rolleyes1

You're a horrible, horrible person. :rolleyes1
No, don't say that, they'll close down the thread! :lmao: (Okay, I'm not really worried, but I once asked a question about which ADR I should keep on the dining boards - and had overlapping ADRs for like 5 minutes while I sorted it out - and the ADR Police descended on the thread to make an example for their cause and got the thread shut down. :eek:)

The way you say it just makes it seem even more awesome.
I should have known that Bacon would appeal to a DIS-Dad. ::yes::

I think this will be a good one for you. I think you should definitely keep it for the 2 of you even if Dug heads to SWW that morning. I'm sure Izzy won't be too crazy about doing all Star Wars all the time anyway, so this might be an opportunity for everyone to get to do something they enjoy.
I think we'll probably keep it. She's getting more and more into princesses every day.

I know, it really makes it hard. I understand completely.
Thanks! :goodvibes

Oh wow... didn't know you could get Fantasmic package with the character meal. That is awesome! I hope this one works out for you!
I hope so too! Fantasmic wasn't really on my radar until I saw that I could get the package. And it would be nice to see it, since it's been several years.

One of these days, I will eat there! I've still never been to Beaches and Cream. And that menu is right up my alley.
You must get there! I'm sure the kids will make sure of it if you tell them about the ice cream.

I'm sure you could find some really cool $1/$3 deals at Target using your discount for FE gifts. I'm clueless on gifts sorry. That's exactly why I didn't do it for our cruises. You should 'steal' some ideas from Karin (dizneeat) has been on TONS of cruises and always does the FE. She's also gotten lots of cool gifts from others.
I actually did get something the other day from the dollar section at Target. They had them on clearance, so 70 cents before my discounts. Not bad! (Not sure if I should say what I got in case any others in my group are lurking...:scratchin) I also found a big thread about "best FE gifts you've received" and have gotten some good ideas to consider from that.

I actually like the idea of doing a picture frame. You could just place it in a bag or a reusable Disney tote (thought i had seen some Disney ones at Target or the Dollar Store) and hang it from the stateroom door handle?
I'm still keeping this in mind. I have a feeling it might be too crafty for me, though. We'll see...

I really, really enjoyed breakfast at Cape May Cafe back in 2010. Wouldn't do it now with DS of course, but would totally go again when he's ready!
Lauren and I did it in June and it was really fun. And that was when Izzy was character-shy, but this was the end of the trip, so she was getting a bit more comfortable. I'd like to do it again just to see Minnie. (And because it's close to our room).

Wow so many SW meals!!! :hyper::cloud9: That's so awesome, excited to hear about those!
I'm excited to do something totally different like this. I mean, breakfast at Sci Fi? Sign me up!

Definitely treat Palo ADR's like you would WDW ADR's. Spots go quick, especially on 'At Sea' days.
I need to look into that, as I thought I heard something about Nassau days now having Palo brunch spots? I need to figure out what we're aiming for before our reservation day (March 4th).

Your ADR schedule llooks awesome. I didn't know they had grilled cheese & tomato soup at B&C. Is that new? I don't remember there being any other vegetarian menu option other than that weird falafel thing. I was trying to see if any of our other days match up but I don't think they do.
I know that I've seen the grilled cheese/tomato soup in a couple of TRs recently. I'm thinking it MIGHT be on the kids' menu, but not sure. Our days are not set in stone yet, so I guess we'll see what happens. And at least enjoy T-Rex together! :goodvibes

I'm glad you're booking Palo brunch! For the check in, it's pretty simple for the cruise! Just choose your port arrival time first and then go from there. I know it took me about 4 minutes total to get the PAT, Palo brunch, register Aria for kids club and book the Cozumel excursion. Are you trying for the earliest PAT? Our port had a mishap and we weren't able to load until about 1 when we got to the port at 10:45, so that was a bit trying (and threw off my plans, instead Aria was napping when we boarded loL!). But I was glad to be one of the first on board regardless!
Yes, I think we're going for the earliest PAT, as we want to get on the ship and start enjoying as soon as we can. Yikes on your port mishap, though - that would really be annoying. I hope that's rare. Good to know that it didn't take you long to get all the reservations squared away.

Hi -- I just started lurking on your other trip report. My daughter will be 18 moths on our December trip to WDW and on the Disney Dream, and your TR has so many great tips that I'm stealing to survive her first trip.
Steal away! That's probably how I got most of the good ideas anyway! :goodvibes

You just changed my life with this savings account. I had no idea it existed... I'm terrible with money (which has never been a problem for us before -- but we are down to one income while I stay at home with the baby and.... its really cramping my vacation style and require that I pay attention to every dime). Having an account I can throw $$ into for something REALLY specific is super helpful for my brain. Thanks!
No problem! I heard about it through the DIS Budget Board and they post some tips and info on it from time to time. It seems to work pretty well for my purposes - accumulating Disney Gift Cards, then using them to buy tickets, pay cruise fare, etc. Plus, I should get some bonus gift cards from it too (every $1000 you spend you get $20, I believe).

In terms of the fish extenders, we've never used one. But for each cruise I've brought along a little stack of daily Disney quotes to match up to what we're doing that day --- "What would I pay to spend a day warm on the sand - Ariel" at Castaway Cay, "I wanna eat and eat and eat and eat and eat until I die -Goofy" for our Palo dinner--- for our door. They are sort of plain, but I seriously LOVE them... they get me into the spirit every morning (or evening -- I sometimes changed them during the day). Something like that might be fun (and cheap). I just printed out what I wanted, laminated at Fed Ex and put magnets on the back (glued the hard round ones, not the tape-on ones -- they curled up and wouldn't stay).
Good ideas! I have been thinking about magnets a bit, as I think Dug wants to do that for our door - and they can be good gifts, potentially.

Oh and one more thing -- given that you have a lot of ADRs -- some of them, like Crystal Palace and Akershus -- if you want to save a little moolah this time around, all of the characters (not Start Wars, of course) are SO much easier to see on the ship. This is a big reason that my in-laws like to go and take their grandkids after the parks. On the ship there is more time to spend with the characters, you can see them a few times and they are just way more accessible than at the character breakfasts. It's a great benefit and easy way to spend your time doing other things at the parks instead of waiting in line to see characters or dropping $40.00 per adult to have breakfast with them.
I actually had been thinking about that. It seems like there are a ton of characters on the cruise and I hope we get to meet a lot of them. I will have to keep it in mind at WDW, because I'll be tempted to take Izzy to lots of character meets and some of them could be time better spent if we'll be seeing them on the cruise too. Both of the breakfasts are pre-park-opening, though, so there is that benefit. Especially CP, as I love the empty Main Street pictures.

I didn't know about the DVA, will look into that. We've bought some Disney GCs for the boys with their Christmas/Birthday money. I spent full price on some of them and some discounted at BJs but not as good as Target. I think before we go I'll buy a bunch of cards to use for food and such. Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup2
You're welcome! Once you put them into a DVA account, it basically becomes one giant gift card that you can enter for payment (hotel, tickets, etc.) If you're using it for spending money while you're there, you can request (in advance) a Disney Gift Card with the balance of your DVA account on it (up to a limit - I think like $500 - so don't put TOO much in).
Your ADRs look great. You really got the Star Wars meals covered. :rotfl2:
Ha, we sure do! :rotfl: :darth:

I think it's good how you booked a bunch so you're sure to get a time that works for you. Plus, you might really make someone very happy when they score a reservation last minute. ::yes::
I have a feeling there are going to be some people who feel like they won the ADR jackpot, once the celebrities are announced and a bunch of us solidify/drop ADRs.

I thought I had commented on this ADR insanity but who knows?
I have no clue! :rotfl: It's taken me so long to reply to all the comments over several days that I don't remember the early ones anymore. :rotfl2:

I love all your choices and think you should keep every single one! :rotfl2:
:lmao: We'd become good buds with Vader, I guess. And Jedi Mickey.

But in all seriousness, you have some great choices! I know it all really depends on what happens with the SWW weekend schedule.
Someday they will release that darn info...

And just think how happy you're going to make someone when you drop an ADR?? It will magically open up for them and make their day! You're really doing some other Disney visitor a kindness! :rotfl:
Thank you for justifying it for me! :goodvibes

joining in :grouphug:
:welcome: Where's the popcorn::? :goodvibes

No, don't say that, they'll close down the thread! :lmao: (Okay, I'm not really worried, but I once asked a question about which ADR I should keep on the dining boards - and had overlapping ADRs for like 5 minutes while I sorted it out - and the ADR Police descended on the thread to make an example for their cause and got the thread shut down. :eek:)
And that's why it is very rare that I spend time anywhere other than the TR forums or Disdad subforum. :sad2:

I can't believe I haven't posted on here before! I apologize. I'm definitely here now and am loving your report so far. It sounds like an incredible trip. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out in your favor and the trip was possible.
DCL is fantastic. The service is unbelievable. As far as fish extenders go, some treats from Goofy's Candy Co. would be an excellent idea. I've seen people get that before in their FE. I've also seen people put magnets and/or pens with their hometown on them. Kind of a "Here's a postcard from your friends in VA."

Your ADR reasoning makes a lot of sense. In fact, I have people with your method to thank for my last 2 trips and this one coming up. All of them have been last minute, and with a lot of persistence I've been able to get the ADRs I want. For my visit next week, I stumbled upon an O'hana opening at 5:30 just 15 days out. Hoarding ADRs like that really does benefit people who make spur of the moment trips.
In other words, you won't see any judging coming from me on your 17 reservations!

And that's why it is very rare that I spend time anywhere other than the TR forums or Disdad subforum. :sad2:
Same here (well, minus DIS-Dads). I seldom post outside of the TR forum and, if I do, I usually make sure I put on my armor first. :rotfl:

I can't believe I haven't posted on here before! I apologize. I'm definitely here now and am loving your report so far. It sounds like an incredible trip. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out in your favor and the trip was possible.
Yay, glad you're here! :goodvibes No worries, I have entirely too many reports going at once right now, so I can't expect everyone to keep up on all 3 - I hardly can! :rotfl2:

DCL is fantastic. The service is unbelievable. As far as fish extenders go, some treats from Goofy's Candy Co. would be an excellent idea. I've seen people get that before in their FE. I've also seen people put magnets and/or pens with their hometown on them. Kind of a "Here's a postcard from your friends in VA."
All great ideas. There is a "Minnesota" store within walking distance of work, so I went and poked around there over my break today. A few ideas, but hard to find a good price-point. I need to go back and look at the other half of the store (ran out of time).

Your ADR reasoning makes a lot of sense. In fact, I have people with your method to thank for my last 2 trips and this one coming up. All of them have been last minute, and with a lot of persistence I've been able to get the ADRs I want. For my visit next week, I stumbled upon an O'hana opening at 5:30 just 15 days out. Hoarding ADRs like that really does benefit people who make spur of the moment trips.
In other words, you won't see any judging coming from me on your 17 reservations!
Yay, your trip is coming up so soon! :cool1: Yeah, I've done the same thing and gotten great last-minute ADRs with some persistence in checking. Go to WDW enough and eventually you end up on both ends of the spectrum, I guess. :thumbsup2

Excited About Epcot

I have attractions and experiences in mind for other parks that I am excited about too, but I want to start with Epcot. There are a bunch of things floating through my head each day that I hope to do during our time in Epcot. This list will be pretty random and off-the-top-of-my-head, but here goes. :hyper2:

First off, I am super excited that we will catch the last weekend of the Flower & Garden Festival! :flower:It's the one big seasonal event that we did not make it to back in our Year of Disney (2010). Back then, the idea of extra flowers was cool, but not THAT exciting. However, they now have food booths and we LOVE Food & Wine! :thumbsup2

F&G will be going on through our first weekend. I think our best chance for Epcot time is on our arrival day, Thursday the 14th. We get into MCO around noon, so it will be early/mid-afternoon before we arrive at Epcot. As of right now, our loose plans are to graze the booths for lunch (if we haven't already gotten hungry and eaten), enjoy some time in Epcot, and have dinner at Garden Grill.

Flower & Garden things I'm looking forward to:
:rose: The food and drink booths (I mean, "outdoor kitchens")! Full information is not available yet, but the Disney Food Blog just posted a bit of a preview the other day and I think there will be a lot of items we are interested in! Can't wait to make up a list of all the things to try!
:rose: The topiaries! I have always wanted to see these in person. Back in 2010, when we considered an extra trip for F&G, this was probably the most interesting aspect for me. And I still want to see these, plus Izzy will probably enjoy them.
:rose:Everyone always says how beautiful Epcot looks with all the extra flower beds and everything. I can't wait to see that in person.
:rose:Herman's Hermits will be the band in concert that weekend. :music: Dug is especially excited about this. I was hoping for the Gin Blossoms, but they are in March. Oh, well.
:rose:The kids' play areas will be so much fun for Izzy! I'm not sure if there will be a butterfly garden again? :butterfly And the playgrounds/play areas should be a blast!

On to other Epcot activities, though! :rainbow: (I'm having a good time using new-to-me smilies here! :rotfl2:)

Test Track is a must-do for me. :car: I didn't ride it in June or August, so it's been too long. I'm not sure when this will happen. Maybe we will switch off single rider (or FP+) if Izzy is napping shortly after we arrive? The other possibility is late at night. We will be walking distance from Epcot at our resort, so I want to go over there one night after Izzy goes to bed (and Dug stays with her). Extra Magic Hours are until 11pm on both Fridays of our trip, so hoping we can each take one of them.

If I can fit it into my stomach at some point, I'd like to try a Cronut (croissant doughnut) again, fresh this time, and probably with ice cream. I had a day-old one in August and it wasn't that special. I want to see what the fuss is about. :tongue:

During my Epcot time in August, I was trying to eat a lot of treats in a short time and got so full that I skipped Karamell Kuche. :charac2: :sad1: I think I will have to make up for that on this trip. Hmmm, I wonder if I can find any good Fish Extender gifts in there? :idea: (It's kinda pricey, though).

I just asked Dug for an Epcot must-do and he said Soarin'. :tink: So, same game plan as Test Track - either FP+ with Rider Swap or go late at night.

We'd like to do as many rides as possible, but it's going to depend on how much time we're able to spend in Epcot (once we know more about Star Wars Weekends, we should be able to plan more. :darth:) I'd like to do Spaceship Earth, if we have time, since I missed it in August. Dug wouldn't mind doing Mission Space, if he has time. Izzy would probably enjoy Nemo and the aquarium. :fish: And we always love boat rides. :boat: Maybe Izzy would be interested in the Kidcot stops now too. :artist:

Unless Izzy changes her tune, I think character meets are going to be a priority. I know that we can meet a lot of them on our cruise, so we'll have to keep that in mind in order to maximize our WDW time. Some of the meets I'm keeping in mind:

:smickey: Disney Visa meet - and maybe we'll even have time to collect our free print on this trip! :thumbsup2
:ewok: No Duffy Bear smilie, but the Ewok will have to do. :lmao: Izzy has a perfect track record of Duffy meets thus far, so I think we will do this. And I don't think he's on the cruise ships.
pooh: I have never done the Pooh and Tigger meet in Christopher Robin's room and it always looks so darn adorable! Hoping we can make it to the UK pavilion to do this.
princess: I think at least Izzy and I will do our breakfast ADR at Akershus. I know that we can meet princesses on the cruise, but I think we'd still enjoy this breakfast.
pluto: We have a dinner at Garden Grill and I know we'd enjoy it. However, it's expensive and fairly early on the day we'll be grazing for a late lunch. So, I'm considering other options. Not sure on this yet. But Mickey, Pluto, Chip, and Dale are all great meets. Not to mention the cool spinning restaurant.

Otherwise, I think we both are hoping to just roam around and take in Epcot as much as possible. Seeing the countries in World Showcase, soaking in the atmosphere (Epcot music while watching the fountain, for instance), and hoping to see Illuminations some night. Not sure when/how yet. :rolleyes1

I feel like I'm forgetting some Epcot things, but that's what I've got for now. :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter