IS MB On BCV REALLY a GREAT deal?

anniet

DIS Veteran
I was just thinking with some posting what a great deal MB is, what was the original price of BCV? Wasn't it around $74?

I'm pretty sure last March when we purchased DVC we were first offered BCV at $70 preconstruction with a $5 MB offer.

We ended up with WLV with a $10 MB offer, but I guess I'm just wondering for all you longtime DVCers...

Does the price usually climb this quickly or is Disney playing with the numbers and MB's to make us think it's a GREAT DEAL?

I don't think MB is such a great deal, I hate missing out on those first year's points. The price is steadily climbing, I don't know how long that will continue with a point in time where points expire.

For us MB was a great deal. We have been to WDW twice this year, before buying point at BCV, and knew we would not go on another vacation for at least a year or so. We were able to sell back the points and that gave us our 20% down. So if you are financing it is a good deal because it is less to pay on later. We didn't need the points this year.

Since they backdate the use year, it can be a good deal if you don't plan to go before you next use year starts. I sold back 150 of my 250 points, which I bought in September 99 with an April use year. I didn't plan a trip until May 00, so I was already in my next use year, still had 100 banked points and got a $1,500 credit.

I am not questioning MB making it easier to purchase, I guess what I'm asking is in relation to what Disney originally began selling BCV for.

It seems to me like they hiked the price up and are offering MB to make us think it's a great deal, while they are really getting $4 more per point than what they originally were selling for ($70)

I guess my question is whether they did this with the BWV sales and/or WLV sales??:confused:

Originally posted by anniet
Does the price usually climb this quickly or is Disney playing with the numbers and MB's to make us think it's a GREAT DEAL?
Probably a little of both. True the prices are higher than they were this time last year. MB can be a good deal or it might not be depending on your circumstances. If you buy more points than you need because of it or buy something you can't afford it is not a good deal. I fear that most people who use it for the down payment are overextending themselves. OTOH if one needs that number of points but not necessarily the first year, it can be a reasonable deal. Every circumstance is different. You can't lament over what the price was last year, many have done that or didn't buy when they could have and should have and regretted it later. The MB is essentially buying the points then renting them out. One cal do the same thing with a resale and just rent the points privately.

Dean does Disney tend to make these types of increases as new resorts open?

Originally posted by anniet
Dean does Disney tend to make these types of increases as new resorts open?
Yes, their MO is to announce an increase but let people know ahead a few months. That generates a lot of activity before the increase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter