Is Mara worth a try?

Lorelai

Unapologetic Palm Tree Hugger
Staying at AKL in July. Is Mara worth a try? (Unintentional rhyme)

What have you had there - and was it good?

Thanks!

Last edited:
We have not been in years, but had good food there in the past. They have a nice refrigerated section too, where you can get Zebra Domes. I know some people don't find them special, but I love them! We had nice sandwiches there, and it is nice to carry out your lunch and eat by the pool. It is a beautiful area (weather pending).

Would I venture here if we were not staying at AKL (which we will be in Dec), no. But as a place to grab breakfast or lunch, absolutely fine! You might want to know that you can also get a burger at Victoria Falls, the lounge at AKL which is also beautiful!

I agree with PP - its a good stop for a quick meal if you're staying there but nothing to write home about. Not worth going out of your way for. We ate there for dinner on a rainy night when we were staying at AKL and it was good, but I'd use it as a quick breakfast option or back-up dinner plan if needed.

We really like it. They have some of the soups from Boma there, as well as an African stew. There is also a crispy chicken club there that is really good. The Mara and Captain Cook's at the Poly are my two favorite resort QS places.

Yes, it's very good. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to go there, but if you are staying at AKL, I would give it a try!

We used to love The Mara, but I personally think that it has gone downhill a bit in recent years, I still prefer it to most other resort QS, and we happily eat there a few times when we stay at AKL, but nothing there really excites me anymore, the standouts are the soups and the stew.

If you're already there, it's adequate but I'd prefer POFQ or Art of Animation if I wanted a great resort QS option.

Only eaten here once on my last trip when resort hopping. From my notes I had the lamb stew and I do remember it being great.

It's got some good and different options. I wouldn't make a trip there if I wasn't staying at AKL though.

It doesn’t have the selections of what a resort qs with no TS would have. It has couple different items plus your burger options. I liked the flatbreads as a after Parks evening snack.

I would recommend going over to Kidani at try Saana. It’s a easy ADR. You can make a meal of the bread service and some apps if you want a light lunch for couple of people

I just stayed at AKL last week. We liked the Mara. I don't have anything else to compare to though.

I like the African stew and the pulled pork sandwich and their homemade potato chips. They have the breakfast grab and go too. Also the cupcakes in the cold section are really good treats.

Overall its not a special thing worth a trip to the resort for... but definitely gets the job done quickly and cheaply (for disney) and was better than just the plain chicken fingers, and burgers.

Definitely go to Boma for dinner and try a bunch there (as a special meal). I'm really a fan.
Sanaa I like as well, but its not for everyone.

Last edited:
Staying at AKL in July. Is Mara worth a try?
If staying at AKL, absolutely yes. I wouldn't make a trip to AKL just to eat at Mara.
Decent food options. Beware that lines at dinner (especially if raining) can be very long.
You order your food and get a pager when your food is ready.
One night on our last trip, we had a 20+ minute wait (between waiting to order & waiting for the food).
On the plus side, the food isn't sitting out & is made to order.

We have not been in years, but had good food there in the past. They have a nice refrigerated section too, where you can get Zebra Domes. I know some people don't find them special, but I love them! We had nice sandwiches there, and it is nice to carry out your lunch and eat by the pool. It is a beautiful area (weather pending).

Would I venture here if we were not staying at AKL (which we will be in Dec), no. But as a place to grab breakfast or lunch, absolutely fine! You might want to know that you can also get a burger at Victoria Falls, the lounge at AKL which is also beautiful!
Thank you for the great info! We have a Boma breakfast ADR and quite a few ADRs in the Parks and at DS - but I know we are going to be tired on occasion and I left a few nights / one morning open in the hopes that Mara is pretty decent.

Now please tell me of these Zebra Domes - we always go to the Boma breakfast (it’s out fave breakfast buffet) but those famous domes are only at the Boma dinners...or so I hear.

We really like it. They have some of the soups from Boma there, as well as an African stew. There is also a crispy chicken club there that is really good. The Mara and Captain Cook's at the Poly are my two favorite resort QS places.
So glad to hear it’s a decent option - and a crispy chicken club sounds pretty good! Thanks.

We used to love The Mara, but I personally think that it has gone downhill a bit in recent years, I still prefer it to most other resort QS, and we happily eat there a few times when we stay at AKL, but nothing there really excites me anymore, the standouts are the soups and the stew.
Thanks!

I just stayed at AKL last week. We liked the Mara. I don't have anything else to compare to though.

I like the African stew and the pulled pork sandwich and their homemade potato chips. They have the breakfast grab and go too. Also the cupcakes in the cold section are really good treats.

Overall its not a special thing worth a trip to the resort for... but definitely gets the job done quickly and cheaply (for disney) and was better than just the plain chicken fingers, and burgers.

Definitely go to Boma for dinner and try a bunch there (as a special meal). I'm really a fan.
Sanaa I like as well, but its not for everyone.
Thanks for the great feedback!

We have a breakfast ADR at Boma because it is hands down our favorite breakfast buffet in all of WDW. We make the trip there every visit because it’s just that good

But as this is our first stay at AKL, so we definitely need quick options.

Quick question - have you ever had the cappuccino/espresso at Mara? Wondering if it’s brewed or more of an instant imitation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter