Is Mama Melroses THAT bad?

mzliza3

Mouseketeer
I've been reading A LOT of negative posts about Mama Melroses at MGM. Is is really that horrible? We booked the Fantasmic dinner package & our choices were MM, the character buffet, & the Brown Derby. Since we have already booked 3 buffets on the DDP & don't want to waste 2 credits on the Brown Derby, this seemed like the best choice. The menu posted seems good, but... Am I making a mistake? Should I give it a try or reschedule for one of the other restaurants?:confused:

We have enjoyed MM both for lunch and dinner over the past couple of years. While not our favorite restaurant on property, it serves decent food (and plenty of it) and we have always had good service. I enjoyed the Wood-Grilled Chicken and pasta for dinner, and their flatbreads are quite tasty. DW had the chicken parm. and probably would not order it again - a bit dry.

Of your choices for the Fantasmic plan, I think you made the right one. We did H&V a couple of years ago and it was, by far, the worst buffet we have had on property.

We ate at MM for the dinner package in May. Not bad, but we have been spoiled by our local Italian place. Had great service!

We tried for many trips to get into MM...we finally did it Dec 06..the food smelled so good from outside the restaurant. It was anything but...it was served cold...the bean ragu with the eggplant napoleon was not cooked..the beans were hard as rocks. There was zero flavor in any of the food. Olive Garden is gourmet compared to this place.

We tried for many trips to get into MM...we finally did it Dec 06..the food smelled so good from outside the restaurant. It was anything but...it was served cold...the bean ragu with the eggplant napoleon was not cooked..the beans were hard as rocks. There was zero flavor in any of the food. Olive Garden is gourmet compared to this place.

I would have to agree with you. We ate dinner there in December 2005 and really enjoyed our food. We ate dinner there again in December 2006 with my parents and brother and it was TERRIBLE. We were really disappointed. I don't know what happened, but we won't be back until we hear of improvements. :sad2:

Brown Derby is the only place at MGM that has been consistenly good, IMHO. And the portions there are quite large, so it's worth it if you can share.

We went 12/06 as part of the fastasmic dinner package and it was good, not excellent. Many of the other places we had eaten were far better, but of the choices for this dinner package it was not all that bad. We had good service, and went at a time when it was not overly crowded. the chicken and pasta was not bad and served hot. Not sure what my mother got, but I do remember that she did enjoy it.

whatever you decide, have a great time!

I would have to agree with you. We ate dinner there in December 2005 and really enjoyed our food. We ate dinner there again in December 2006 with my parents and brother and it was TERRIBLE. We were really disappointed. I don't know what happened, but we won't be back until we hear of improvements. :sad2:

Brown Derby is the only place at MGM that has been consistenly good, IMHO. And the portions there are quite large, so it's worth it if you can share.

We also ate there in December 2006, and I agree, it was just awful. The food was subpar and the service was spotty at best. We will NEVER go back there again.

We had dinner there in July 06 and liked it a lot. We're returning on July 10 for the Fantasmic package.

I really think that with all the Disney restaurants, they're hit and miss. Also, those in the theme parks tend to be less consistent than the hotel places. I personally think that for being in the middle of a theme park, MM is pretty good.

Strangely, our experience was amazing. The butcher steak was the best steak I ate in 10 days at WDW (including CG, Jiko's Le Cellier). You might want to go with the majority although I think it is the best choice for the Fantasmic package.

to the OP. if you ask for reviews its just like movie critics, everyone likes something different. for most places your reviews end up about 50-50. give it a try. ive eaten at just about everyplace on property and havent puked up anything yet. some i liked better than others and sometimes i see a scathing reveiw of someplace and i think " are they trippin?" for the record, Momma Melrose is on our ADR list each and every trip and yes sometimes it is better than other times but the way i figure lifes a crap shoot anyway might as well try it all.

I love WDW and generally like the restuarants - but Mama Melrose was poor - the service was slow and the food mediocre at best. It is the one place I'll never return to.

I agree with Dalton above. Everyone will have different opinions. Definately search out a menu from this site and see if anything appeals to you...menus do help me figure out what looks good to me!
I've eaten at MM twice, May 2001 and October 2006, and both times have had excellent service and food. I love their veal, and in 2006 they had this new lemon custard type dessert that was heavenly. I'd go back just for the dessert.
Enjoy the food, no matter where you pick!

I agree with dalt01 that you will hear both good and bad. My friend went in Feb for the Fantasmic dinner package and liked MM just fine. DH and I went in Feb 2006 and DH loved it. I thought it was good - certainly better than any counter service eatery. I was full and couldn't even touch my gelato! We are going back again in Feb 08.

So, my advice is give it a try -- then you know for sure.

We have enjoyed every place we ate in WDW - there isn't one that I would cross off the list. There are just so many to choose from we don't often eat places twice (exception being KONA - we've eaten there multiple times!).

We really did not care for Mama Melroses. The food was mediocre. Our waiter was very disinterested in helping us. We wouldn't go back. But, other people have liked it so it might be a good idea to go and judge it for yourself. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. I read that the Rose and Crown wasn't very good any more and the menu limited. We went and really liked it even with the limited menu. So you never know!

We have done Mama Melrose twice with the Fantasmic package and loved it both times!!! I loved the pipette pasta with the wood fired chicken so much that I asked for the recipe (they had pre printed index cards with the recipe on it).

Everyone is a critic-some love it, some hate it. I think you have to just buck up and try it, hoping for the best experience. I know there are restuarants that everyone is gaga over (like LeCellier), but I don't always "get" why. :confused3 Maybe my tastes are different, maybe I am just easier to please, perhaps I have lower expectations.

Go, enjoy. You may find it is really something you like and if not, then nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Have a great trip!!!

Whenever we do the Fantasmic package, we always eat at MM. It's always delicious and we never want to spend 2 TS credits on Brown Derby. H&V is just a regular buffet- average to our tastes.
Be prepared for TONS of food at MM with the package. I think you get bread, salad, flatbread, entree and dessert. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It's all yummy but, for the love of Pete, someone may have to roll you out of the restaurant.:laughing:

MM is that GOOD:love: We've just gotten back from our 8th trip over probably 11 years and never had a negative experience there.:woohoo: We love the service, the ambiance, and all the dishes we've had over the years have been outstanding. My advice is always to try out the eateries and see if they fit your family. For example, we HATED 50s Prime Time and H & V both in MGM....but I wouldn't advise others not to go there--to each his own.:cool1:

MM is that GOOD:love: We've just gotten back from our 8th trip over probably 11 years and never had a negative experience there.:woohoo: We love the service, the ambiance, and all the dishes we've had over the years have been outstanding. My advice is always to try out the eateries and see if they fit your family. For example, we HATED 50s Prime Time and H & V both in MGM....but I wouldn't advise others not to go there--to each his own.:cool1:
i know what you mean i never got the whole 50's prime time cafe thing food wise. i think the theme is cool. but a lot of people rave over the meatloaf and roast beef.

We did the Fantasmic package at MM's in May. The food was good -- not the best Italian we've ever had, but it was good. The breads and spreads appetizer was ok, not great, and the bruchetta was tasty but had a lot of onions in it, which I don't care for. Our entrees were very good -- I got the grilled chicken and pasta w/artichokes, peas, and tomatoes, I think DH got chicken parmesan. The cheesecake dessert was wonderful -- honey hazelnut and ricotta with a blood orange sauce drizzled on it, really delicious. Our waitress was friendly and helpful -- I'd say give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter