Is Kong really gone?

grumpymakesmehappy

DIS Veteran
I thought I read that Kong was gone. Is that true? If so, when did this happen? I haven't been to US/IOA since 02 and was wondering what was taken out to make way for new attractions. Is the Hannah Barbara ride still at US? We loved it.

I just returned from my very first trip, so I'm no expert, but I do believe that the Mummy is now where Kong used to be. I think I remember reading that the Hanna Barbera ride is gone too. I have no idea what if anything took it's place though. I had always wanted to ride Kong and Jaws, but unfortunately, one is gone and the other was closed. Hopefully next time I can catch Jaws though.

Yes, sadly Kong was replaced with the Mummy, and Hanna BArbera is now the Jimmy Neutron ride if i'm not mistaken.

Ok, I was never at Universal before '03, but Mummy did replace Kong, and I think Jimmy Neutron is where Hanna Barbera used to be.

I was devastated on my one and only trip so far to universal in Octber 2002 as they had just closed Kong 3 weeks earlier!!! Before going to universal the only 2 rides i knew about so really wanted to go on were Jaws and Kong and they went and closed one of them!!! I gave the customer services lady such a hard time over it but we did at least get to pose for photos in the giant hand in the shop at the end of the ride which was still there.

Im due back at Universal 14-18 December this year on my honeymoon and i've just found out that Jaws is likely to be shut for refurbishment!!! I can't believe it everytime i go to universal they shut one of the rides i really want to do. At least i got to ride jaws loads of times 3 years ago as the parks were very very empty when we went so we walked on everyride with no waiting.

yes it really stinks because hannah barbera was ten times better than jimmy neutron is. that was my family's favorite ride!! same to king kong which i also loved!!!

If Universal stayed the same we would be missing some great rides like Spiderman, the Mummy, and Men in Black. Don't grieve for rides lost but enjoy the fact that Universal tries to stay innovative and, as such, old rides will be replaced by new rides. Soon you will find yourself loving the new rides. Enjoy your adventure!

I saved this post by DocBosch from a few years ago because he said what I was thinking but much more eloquently than I could:

"The night they closed Kongfrontation, I started questioning my attachment to Universal. I figured that Disney had its supposed "magic" and history, things that you’re allowed to value, but why did I have such strong feeling for Universal? They had just closed a classic attraction to replace it with a roller coaster. While Kong was iconic, the original ride was just meant to thrill, and when it stopped doing that, it would be replaced by a different movie's high tech ride. I wondered where the reminiscence was in that.

I walked around the USF lagoon at dusk for a bit, contemplating this, when I looked up at the view. I remembered the park as I used to see it as a kid. I remembered how it seemed huge, and how there was always something cool around the corner. I remembered being so impressed with the street facades, and the themeing within the rides. The first visit when I became completely and unreasonably upset that we had to leave, but when we returned soon after, I realized that this was a place I was going to be able to come back to constantly.

When I walked out of the park, I started to think about how there is so much more now then there was in my memories of my first visits. I tracked the expansion of the Universal property for over two years but I wondered if it had grown too much for me to genuinely care for it all. Then I looked over to the IOA skyline, with the lighthouse beaming and Hulk snaking all over the sky, and remembered how amazing it was. Then I looked at CityWalk, all lit up in the night, and remembered how amazing it was. And I remembered that the reason I liked Universal so much the first time was because it was so amazing.

The "nostalgia" of Universal isn't nostalgia at all, but innovation. Universal isn't about things staying the same forever, so we can relive our childhoods over and over again, but about things evolving and getting better, and getting 'cooler'. Disney is magical because of it's classic attractions, and the classic characters they are based on, while Universal's charm comes from it's ability to create spectacular things, regardless of the subject, that will amaze us.

Which is what makes my time at Universal magical.”

Kong is gone and was replaced by the Mummy. I have to say that I do enjoy the Mummy ride much better then Kong.

Hanna Barbera is now Jimmy Neutron. Also, I believe the Alfred Hitchcock attraction has been replaced by Shrek.

orlandorocks has a video of kongfrontation if you want to relive it. UO has a pretty finite amount of room in it the parks, and the changes they undergo are well thought out and with purpose. ghostbusters and the wild west stunt show are 2 others that have recently ended. fear factor live isn't a repeatable attraction to me, but it's a fresh idea for a show in a theme park. WDW focuses on memories, UO focuses on reinvention.

If Universal stayed the same we would be missing some great rides like Spiderman, the Mummy, and Men in Black. Don't grieve for rides lost but enjoy the fact that Universal tries to stay innovative and, as such, old rides will be replaced by new rides. Soon you will find yourself loving the new rides. Enjoy your adventure!

I know the point you're trying to make, but you used two rides that didn't replace anything as examples... and those two rides themselves won't be replaced for a looooong time, if ever.

UO has a pretty finite amount of room in it the parks, and the changes they undergo are well thought out and with purpose

I have to disagree. They have a huge plot of land right behind Men in Black that could have been used for an entire Mummy expansion, yet they decided to put a Mummy themed attraction in the New York section of the park (huh?) while replacing the park's icon attraction in the process... this just didn't seem that thought out to me.

F-L-A I have to disagree. They have a huge plot of land right behind Men in Black that could have been used for an entire Mummy expansion said:
but then you're looking at a different level of expense. right, wrong, or somewhere in between, they salvaged the existing soundstage to build ROTM.

I'm still mad that Disney got rid of the submarine ride at Dsineyland and Disneyworld. It was my favorite as a child, but life goes on. It was just too expensive to maintain, just as Kong was. When they sink millions into new rides, it doesn't make economic sense to maintain old rides that are breaking down more than they are up.

Walt is famous for always looking to the future!!

Sometimes I think the memories of these rides are better anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter