Is January no longer a slow time?

We took our first family vacation to WDW 1/19-1/25. All in all, it wasn't bad. now I dont think that I would have considered the crowds to be 2's and 4's on the days easyWDW said they would be but using some common sense and packing a little patience it was manageable. When we managed to get there at RD or right after, things went well. We did RD at DHS and did ToT (walk on) RnRC (with FP and rider swap DD rode it 3 times in a row), several character meets and a snack all before NOON! On the other side of the coin, we arrived on Saturday, tried to hit the MK at about 230 and it was a NIGHTMARE. We basically walked in a small circle around the castle and left and that took 2 hours. Granted, we arrived at parade time so that was some of it, but the crowd was unreal even off the parade route. I really think, in my limited expereince, that hitting the parks early is the way to go. No matter how forboding the crowds may look, it's really the only way to do it and truly enjoy youself and get the rides you want.

We have been here since Sunday. It's been a little more crowded then what I'm used to but it's been fine. Most rides have been walk on or minimum wait. Soarin had fast passes until about 4 the other day. The only crazy I've seen is in new fantasy land... But part of it is Disneys fault because of the dead end at AG ...

I was there January 25th through the 29th. The crowds were much, much higher than the crowd calendars indicated. However, the lines were not indicative of the crowds. We walked on or waited less than 10 minutes for almost every ride in all four parks.

I would second this for my time from 1/18-25. Even on days when crowds were big, it didn't necessarily translate to long waits for whatever reason.

We come every January and just left WDW yesterday after 10 nights. It was definately the busiest year we've ever come! Early in the AM it wasn't too bad but by mid afternoon it was PACKED! But we had GREAT time. :banana:

Just back...was there 1/23-1/30.

One word...P A C K E D :(

Silly me; thought crowds would be light this time of the year, it's after MLK day, kids are all in school, etc.

Not so. Tons of foreign tour groups, parents take children out of school, and so on and so on.

Unless you get Fast Passes, you will wait for all the "good" rides.

We just got back today. It was pretty busy. Especially MK yesterday. Wow... I don't think I've ever seen it that packed. I've never been during the middle of summer or during Christmas, so I don't know how it compares to those extremely busy times. But, to me it was pretty busy. We still got everything done that we wanted to do. We usually go early and leave after eating lunch (didn't do this yesterday, stayed longer at MK), so I guess we beat the huge crowds. With MK we stayed for 8 hours so we saw the crowds in full. Like I said above, we still did everything we wanted to do despite the crowds and we still had a ton of fun :goodvibes.

We were there 1/30-2/1, and found it not at all crowded. Did AK on Wednesday morning, just to do the safari, then hopped to Epcot for the afternoon. Test Track was at a 30 minute wait around 1:00. Walked on to everything else. MK on Thursday, again walked on to everything - the longest line we waited in was for lunch at BoG, and it was only about 30 minutes.

Dh and I went last year 2-6-2-10 and it was awesome low waits for everything. Just back from a trip with my daughter 1-21-1-25 and it was horrendous

Goodness, I really need to stay off the internet after I take my Ambien. :rotfl2:

This is one of the funniest posts ever!

There are a couple reasons for heavy crowds.

The first is the New Fantasyland. I think many have been holding out to see that. Now that much of it is here, crowds will be high.

This is still only a couple months old, so there are a lot of Florida residents still coming out on weekends for the first time.

Then you throw in a rebounding economy, and I think 2013 is going to be a VERY busy year at Disney, and it won't get any better once Fantasyland is complete.

Having a good touring plan is essential, as is getting there early and using sources like easywdw for crowd control.

Well, let's get some of that Fantasyland Magic in Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom. If the crowds are steadily increasing then it is time to build more attractions.

Just back...was there 1/23-1/30.

One word...P A C K E D :(

Silly me; thought crowds would be light this time of the year, it's after MLK day, kids are all in school, etc.

Not so. Tons of foreign tour groups, parents take children out of school, and so on and so on.

Unless you get Fast Passes, you will wait for all the "good" rides.

Is everyone talking about Magic Kingdom or all four parks? Is it packed in Hollywood Studios too? Animal Kingdom?

It is way busier than we thought it would be. We were at EP yesterday and the wait time for Soarin was 80mins - no FP left @ 3pm and same for TT.

MK was very similar the day before as was HS today. HOWEVER, we are not the smartest when it comes to planning and went for the EMH during our stay. It was our 1st time staying on-site so we thought it was such a big deal to be able to do this. Ummmm lesson learned. Nit very smart. You think i would know better having been on these boards for the last couple of months but nope. Got all caught up in the Disney excitement and took the EMH bait, hook. Line. And sinker.

Next time, i will avoid those parks and seriously follow the recos on easywdw.

I am excited to see large crowds! I know I may be a minority but I find the place more exciting when there are a lot of people there. I also think it means that Disney is doing a great job filling up their rooms and that business is booming. More crowds = more growth! Keep em coming!!!

November was way up too, promotion are the reason. But hey don't fret, at least its not june july or august.

I am excited to see large crowds! I know I may be a minority but I find the place more exciting when there are a lot of people there. I also think it means that Disney is doing a great job filling up their rooms and that business is booming. More crowds = more growth! Keep em coming!!!

Or at least rumors of growth (except for DVC - they like to build them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter