Is it worth the extra $$$

Dsnygrl1205

DIS Veteran
I have been considering upgrading to concierge level at AKL for my September trip but it will run me just over $1200 more... It would be a once in a lifetime kind of thing and I'm just curious if it's really worth the cost.

That depends on how you could otherwise use the money. $1200 would pay for my 14-night Transatlantic cruise on Royal Caribbean next month for 2 people - so I wouldn't spend the same amount on CL at AKL.

Totally a personal decision. I spend extra money to go w/deluxe accommodations because we thoroughly use our resort. I have a friend who always goes value and they are happy with that too. Depends on what you use and how much extra $$ you have.

Is it worth $1200 more? Nope, I don't think so. I've stayed AKV Concierge and it's nice and all but not worth and extra $1200 IMO.

We stayed at the BC CL once. We were given a free upgrade a check in. But if we had to pay for it OOP we didn't think it was worth it. We were on the DxDP and it was just too much. We enjoyed the sodas and the quick snacks, but we could have bought a 12 pack of coke and a box of granola bars for about $15.

$1200?? WOW!! That's a lot extra for AKL club level! When we stayed for our first trip, it was 8 days and only cost an extra $250 or so for the whole upgrade....when I stayed 12 days in Sept '09 it was only an extra $30 a night for a club level room vs a bunk bed savahnnah view room!
Usually AKL is one of the most affordable resorts to upgrade to CL at..... I wonder why the high cost??? For that much extra, I don't think it would be worth it. Club level is nice, but that's a huge difference!! I don't think I'd go over a $500 difference....that would probably be my top $$$ I'd want to pay for Club level experience, and it would have to be a week trip, minimum! Good luck deciding what to do and have a lovely trip, AKL is beautiful!!! (our favourite resort at the moment!):goodvibes

We stayed at the BC CL once. We were given a free upgrade a check in. But if we had to pay for it OOP we didn't think it was worth it. We were on the DxDP and it was just too much. We enjoyed the sodas and the quick snacks, but we could have bought a 12 pack of coke and a box of granola bars for about $15.

Hi Woth2982! :goodvibes I know people often say this, but I gotta admit......club level snacks are so much more enticing than a granola bar would be to me :rotfl:

I love the whole club experience...it is the robes in the room, often the prime location/views of the resort, the yummy appetizers, all day cold drinks to take to the pool/room/or enjoy in the lounge, a place for my teens to grab a quick snack, and stress-free mornings with breakfast taken care of, Lastly, the IPO services and the planning help for my ADR's when I had 12 days of meals to grab and I didn't want to wait on the phone at 5 am at the opening of my 180 day window (this was before I could do it myself online, now it's a breeze)....

I find Club Level worth the cost....but $1200 would make me reeeeallllly think if it would be still worth it at that high cost!!! I've stayed club level on my 2 previous trips, and will be staying again for my upcoming FEB trip to the POLY.

I am a club level believer.....They got us at day 1 on my first trip! I don't think I'd ever want to stay without Club Level....I would save a little longer just to ensure I could afford CL....and I am one of the people who wouldn't want to be bothered with cases of pop/water/or granola bars being delivered to my room....granola bars wouldn't cut it for me, :sad2: I am happy to go out my door and down the hall to have the relaxing CL experience right there! :woohoo: Can ya tell I'm a club level gal? :cloud9:

$1200?? WOW!! That's a lot extra for AKL club level! When we stayed for our first trip, it was 8 days and only cost an extra $250 or so for the whole upgrade....when I stayed 12 days in Sept '09 it was only an extra $30 a night for a club level room vs a bunk bed savahnnah view room!
Usually AKL is one of the most affordable resorts to upgrade to CL at..... I wonder why the high cost??? For that much extra, I don't think it would be worth it. Club level is nice, but that's a huge difference!!

As of right now I have a standard view for 10 nights with 10 day PH and WPF&M park tickets and free Basic Dining Plan for me and my son. The total for the trip is $3692.90. The total cost if I booked the same trip but concierge level (standard view) is $4992.32! Maybe you had booked a savanna view and that's why the jump wasn't so much?
It does seem frivolous, I know, but it will be the first trip after returning home from a year long deployment so I thought it would be a special once in a lifetime splurge. I just wasn't sure what CL had to offer other than free snacks...

As of right now I have a standard view for 10 nights with 10 day PH and WPF&M park tickets and free Basic Dining Plan for me and my son. The total for the trip is $3692.90. The total cost if I booked the same trip but concierge level (standard view) is $4992.32! Maybe you had booked a savanna view and that's why the jump wasn't so much?
It does seem frivolous, I know, but it will be the first trip after returning home from a year long deployment so I thought it would be a special once in a lifetime splurge. I just wasn't sure what CL had to offer other than free snacks...
It provides a continental breakfast in the morning, gummy bears and light snacks in the afternoon and more substantial hot and cold appetizers in the late afternoon & early evening and desserts in the late evening. Beer and wine is available from the afternoon until the lounge closes. After dinner liquors are served with dessert. They also provide a more private check-in on the concierge floor, a service where they will make your ADRs, turn down service & the ability to book the special breakfast safari over at AK. In NO WAY do I think it's worthwhile to spend $120 more per night for it.

I know you want to make the trip extra special but I think that simply spending time with your son after being away for a year will be special for him. He's just going to be thrilled to have his mom home.

FWIW, one of the 40% off codes that are usually floating around will be a MUCH better bargain at AKV than free dining for only 2 people ... even if your son is a "Disney Adult".

Concierge is not a dollars-and-cents, value-for-your-money sort of question. If you add up all the snacks, drinks, etc. you get, and figure what they Disney (inflated) price for them is, it's almost certainly less expensive to just pay for what you want when you want it.

The deal with Concierge is that it is a slightly more personal level of service, a little bit "special". That has to be important to *you*, and that's the only way it can be "worth it".

Full disclosure: I haven't ever stayed concierge, and likely wouldn't anytime in the near future. But, I do have a membership at the Delta Airlines club lounges, and that's a similar thing.

If it was me and just one of my kids, then no, I don't think it's worth the cost. :goodvibes If it was my whole family of 5 then maybe.

Dsnygrl1205 :goodvibes You are right....we where booked Savanna view, so that's why it didn't seem like as big a jump! Our first trip (where we stayed AKL Club Level) was a special trip too to share my husband's leave break(as he was deployed on a yr. tour in Afghanistan. ) It helped make our trip even more special and if you can afford it, I think it would be a lovely "extra" to make your trip extra special too! Welcome home and I hope you have a magical time together! :lovestruc

Dsnygrl1205 :goodvibes You are right....we where booked Savanna view, so that's why it didn't seem like as big a jump! Our first trip (where we stayed AKL Club Level) was a special trip too to share my husband's leave break(as he was deployed on a yr. tour in Afghanistan. ) It helped make our trip even more special and if you can afford it, I think it would be a lovely "extra" to make your trip extra special too! Welcome home and I hope you have a magical time together! :lovestruc

Thank you! And thanks to your husband for his service and to you for your sacrifices as well. I know it's so hard on the families of deployed service members. My son is doing remarkably well under the circumstances. I'm definitely leaning towards the upgrade... I just don't see a monetary opportunity presenting itself like this again (unless I deploy again). We go to Disney often and the chance to splurge like that would make it a trip like we've never taken before.

I'm definitely leaning towards the upgrade... I just don't see a monetary opportunity presenting itself like this again (unless I deploy again). We go to Disney often and the chance to splurge like that would make it a trip like we've never taken before.
From the looks of your ticker, staying at AKL is already a splurge. Heck, the extra $1200 would pay for another whole trip at a value resort.

I don't consider the trip I have booked already a splurge as it's in my price range since it's the only trip we're taking in 2011. The upgrade to CL is something I wouldn't normally do and just wondered what the benefits of it are. :goodvibes

FWIW, one of the 40% off codes that are usually floating around will be a MUCH better bargain at AKV than free dining for only 2 people ... even if your son is a "Disney Adult".

I'm going to crunch the numbers with the 40% off deal and see where that leaves me.. Thanks for the tip!

I don't consider the trip I have booked already a splurge as it's in my price range since it's the only trip we're taking in 2011. The upgrade to CL is something I wouldn't normally do and just wondered what the benefits of it are. :goodvibes

These are the benefits:

The concierge can make your ADRs.
continental breakfast, cereal,
juices, milk, coffee, soft drinks, iced tea, liqueurs, beer, wine
snacks
You can say you stayed club level.

ETA: If you want to do it though and it means a lot to you, then do it.

if you and your party can drink enough water, have bagels, dry cereal, juice and some apps and dessert at night then it's worth it, for me, I rather just go a deluxe hotel a btter view and spend my money other ways on vacation and it still wouldn't be $1200.00
Gppd luck on whatevery you do, I did concierge a view times till I smartened up, I think everyone should try it once if you can afford it.

For that amount of money more, I'd honestly splurge and upgrade to one of those grand suites for a night, but that's just me!

I cannot see concierge being that worth it, but it depends on how important the extra mini meals are to you & if you can afford it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter