Is it worth it to take a 5 yr. old?

amsafko

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip next year to WDW. We will be staying at a Disney resort but my kids have been begging for Harry Potter as well. My children will be 10, 8, and 5. The only thing they (and I) know of US is Harry Potter. I am questioning spending $550 for us to go for one day. How much is there at US for the younger child? While he wants to see HP too, I'm not sure what he can and can't do there? Thanks for any help you can provide.

IOA is a great park outside of WWOHP. It has several water rides and areas for him to play in. It also has Suess landing with lots of rides like carousels, a dumbo type ride, a train thats in the air, and somethings I'm missing. In Harry potter all of your kids will enjoy Olivanders I'm sure and one of them might even get selected to get a wand. I'm not sure what the height requirements are for the water rides but I don't think they're too steep.

Also, look into buying one annual pass for someone in your party. With an annual pass you can save 10-15% on tickets (10% on a one day ticket) and 10% on food for your entire family. Also, if you buy merchandise you will save 10% among other things. You would have to do the math but it might be worth it for the savings. Just a thought though.

For your kids, it'd be well worth it to head to Universal Islands of Adventure just for Harry alone.

Now, here's the rub: The flagship HP ride has a height/weight restriction and the other two rides are roller coasters (though one is fine for brave kids; it's fast but there are no loops or sharp turns or anything). Further, from what I've noticed, most of the rides at IOA are roughly similar to their analogues at WDW - but they are all a bit "wilder". For example, the innocuous-sounding Cat in the Hat is similar to Winnie the Pooh - except your car spins crazily like the Teacups and the characters are a couple of notches down the skill-o-meter from Disney's robotics and have got to scare some children.

That said, the theming in the park is phenomenal. If the kids are already familiar with the books and movies, then just walking around in Jurassic Park and Hogwarts is a trip. Don't emphasize the rides too much and you'll have a great time anyway!

Spent a day at IOA with my cousin's family before HP opened and his 5 year old loved it. He loves dinosaurs so he would have been happy exploring the Jurassic Park area all day. I also had to ride the Flying Unicorn (now Flight of the Hippogriff) about 10 times...and he insisted that we both had to "scream like a girl" every time! I'd have no problem with a child that age at IOA...and there's probably just as much he would enjoy at US.

I am questioning spending $550 for us to go for one day.

Well then...spend a little bit more and take 2 or 3 days there. Make it really worth your while! :)

DS was 6, not 5, on our first trip in December, and he had a BLAST. None of us went on anything that he couldn't have gone on (I went on Forbidden Journey but he didn't want to because he's only seen up to Azkaban, and the Dementors scare him), but he still had a great time, as did we all.

Hippogriff was just about his fave ride; on our last day he made me go on it with him 14 times in a row.

He also loved the Jurassic Park section (and I'm not sure that viewing the movie is even necessary for a young boy...all they need to know is *dinosaurs* and they tend to be happy LOL), Seuss, just everything. Most of the things he didn't go on were because of emotions...the idea of the Jaws ride scared him too much, that sort of thing.

So I know my guy is a year ahead of yours, but maybe that can help.

I think that it's just such a fun place, with great rides and beautiful scenery (coming into the entrance of Islands of Adventure took my breath away!), great theming (especially in the Wizarding World, especially for my son), that your whole family will enjoy it, even the 5 year old.

Something neat about Universal that is different than WDW...the "rider switch" that WDW does is mirrored at Universal...but where WDW almost always splits the party *outside* of the ride, at Universal the family can wait in the line, and the non-riders go off to a room quite close to the seating area.

So definitely consider going for perhaps 2 days...like I said...make it really worth your while. (imagine how you'd feel if someone said they were only going to WDW for one or two days...painful, eh? because you know how much there is to do there, and how their trip just won't be as good if they skimp on it? that's kinda how a one-day visit to Universal can feel to those who have been there... worth doing, but definitely worth doing really really well if oyu can't do it longer)

We took our DS when he was 4 - PRE-Harry Potter - and he/we had a great time. Particularly enjoyed Jurassic Park (everything there), Spiderman, Seussland and the Barge ride in Toon Lagoon.

We are going this year with him again (now he's 8) and our DD3. We are all really excited to see WWoHP for the first time (well, not the 3yo, but she'll have fun anyway!) :)

Went last year for the first time, DS-5, DD-7. DS was 40 inches. Loved Seussland (went on all the rides), Jurassic Park(explored everything dinosaurs, loved Pteradon Flyers(sp?)). We made autographs and had all the characters sign. Harry Potter- kids rode Flight of Hippogriff many many times. Did child swap for FJ. Had park hoppers, saw Spongebob, Shrek and Fiona, he loved Jaws and MIB there. Plenty to see and do. It's also not as "intensive" as planning for Disney. A lot more leisurely stroll through the parks.

I have been considering this question myself. DH wants to go back to US/IOA & i want to wait til our youngest is at least 40" tall. That way he'll have more things he can do & hopefully he may not get scared on some of the rides (Jaws).

Our first trip to US/IOA my daughter had just turned 4 yrs old. She LOVED it and had a blast!!!! It is totally worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter