• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it worth doing laundry on holidays?

RoriRoo

Earning My Ears
Just wondering has anyone ever done laundry while they were away? We'll be in DW for 9 days in total. I don't mind doing laundry and I always end up over packing anyway but only wearing half the stuff I bring. Just wondering is it worth doing laundry?
Also is Pop's laundry open at night as well?

We always do laundry at least once per trip. It isn't a big deal to us. Last trip, DH took the laundry down on a day the rest of us slept in and had a drink by the pool while he waited on it. Laundry rooms should be open at night.

I always plan to do laundry regardless if it's 4d or 8d. It's not just for the packing but also for having "stinky" clothes. I rather enjoy it. Pool time. Cool drink time and one load of laundry time! Works for us!

If you do laundry, I would advise you to bring your own detergent (the drop in tablets work great for this) and dryer sheets (easy to pack). Unless the dryer situation has changed since the least time we did laundry, you might need two rounds of drying so add some extra time to the normal plans for laundry.

Also, and this is just to be a nice person. Please check often on your laundry whether it's in the washer or in the dryer. It's just nice to remove your items very soon after they are done rather than have that machine taken up while someone else could be using it. And, there are people who will just simply take your stuff out of either the washer or dryer if they need to machine.

I always overpack a ton too. But I usually do laundry while we're on vacation because I don't like to pack up the dirty clothes with the clean clothes and create even more to do when we get home! Especially when flying because I never have an extra suitcase to put the dirty stuff in.

Yes, I do laundry every trip. I do it in the am bright and early. The dryers aren't the best, so while at the parks, the damp clothes I'll hang up in the shower to finish drying.

We stayed at Pop over new Year's and I did laundry early one evening after a long, rainy day in the parks. I actually enjoyed the quiet time, read my book, washed and dried two loads, then headed back up to our room. The dryers worked well, no need to run them twice. I did bring my own detergent Pods for ease. By the time my loads were complete other guests were waiting for empty washers so I recommend going at a time when most people are doing something else. I think the laundry room is open until at least 10pm. I love Disney and my family but a little time by myself with no crowd was a nice break.

Always do laundry at least once per trip, even if it's the last day - then all I need to do when I get home is unpack & put straight away.
We are at the pool everyday mid day for a break & swim anyway, once the laundry is in I relax by the pool til it's time to fold - then it's time to head back to the room, freshen up & head back to the parks.

We always do laundry at least once per trip. It isn't a big deal to us. Last trip, DH took the laundry down on a day the rest of us slept in and had a drink by the pool while he waited on it. Laundry rooms should be open at night.

It's not so much a big deal for me either. Just wondering what was handier :)

Anything over 6 days, we do laundry.

I always plan to do laundry regardless if it's 4d or 8d. It's not just for the packing but also for having "stinky" clothes. I rather enjoy it. Pool time. Cool drink time and one load of laundry time! Works for us!

If you do laundry, I would advise you to bring your own detergent (the drop in tablets work great for this) and dryer sheets (easy to pack). Unless the dryer situation has changed since the least time we did laundry, you might need two rounds of drying so add some extra time to the normal plans for laundry.

Also, and this is just to be a nice person. Please check often on your laundry whether it's in the washer or in the dryer. It's just nice to remove your items very soon after they are done rather than have that machine taken up while someone else could be using it. And, there are people who will just simply take your stuff out of either the washer or dryer if they need to machine.

Oh I would definitely bring my own stuff, I'm coming from Ireland and I'd be afraid of an allergic reaction so I'd have my own everything. I know this might sound a little silly but do clothes not air dry very well in Orlando??

Thanks for the tips, I'm a little paranoid to leave my stuff alone but thanks for letting me know anyway :)

I always overpack a ton too. But I usually do laundry while we're on vacation because I don't like to pack up the dirty clothes with the clean clothes and create even more to do when we get home! Especially when flying because I never have an extra suitcase to put the dirty stuff in.

Yes, I do laundry every trip. I do it in the am bright and early. The dryers aren't the best, so while at the parks, the damp clothes I'll hang up in the shower to finish drying.

thank you very much :)

We pack really light even by carry on only standards. Our two bags each are certainly on the small end of the scale of what you see people dragging onto planes nowadays. We each pack for 3 or 4 days max but do have some undergarments that are designed to be hand washed and dry quickly in case our laundry day is delayed. We do a couple of loads midway through and have a half day at the resort. Very relaxing, actually. :)

Strangely enough I enjoy doing laundry at WDW. I have these very nice, large, sort of plastic shopping bags I got at World of Disney years ago. They fold up nicely in the suitcase. When we check into our room they become the dirty clothes bags. One for dark, one for whites. Easy to carry to the laundry rooms and fold the clean clothes right into them.

I take my quarters, detergent pods and fabric softner sheets and I'm all set.

I also take a book and a refill mug full of diet coke with a bit of rum added to it lol. Maybe I should drink rum and diet coke when I do laundry at home too?!

Strangely enough I enjoy doing laundry at WDW. I have these very nice, large, sort of plastic shopping bags I got at World of Disney years ago. They fold up nicely in the suitcase. When we check into our room they become the dirty clothes bags. One for dark, one for whites. Easy to carry to the laundry rooms and fold the clean clothes right into them.

I also take a book and a refill mug full of diet coke with a bit of rum added to it lol. Maybe I should drink rum and diet coke when I do laundry at home too?!

I've only done laundry when we've stayed in one of the villas, because the laundry facilities are right there in the room. But we have shopping bags just like you mention and that's a great idea. As is hanging by the pool with a drink while I wait for the wash to be done.

I know this might sound a little silly but do clothes not air dry very well in Orlando??

Thanks for the tips, I'm a little paranoid to leave my stuff alone but thanks for letting me know anyway :)

You will want to use the dryer if you have a full load of laundry. Florida humidity is very high and things take forever and a day to line dry. Add that to a lack of space to hang things to dry in your resort room.

I wouldn't be too concerned about leaving your laundry unattended while it is in the washer or dryer. Nobody's interested in your undies. And you're not packing designer clothes for WDW anyway.

When I last did laundry at POFQ in April, they had gone to a new payment method. Credit/debit cards only. Not sure if all of the resorts have converted to this or not. But it was still $2/load.

We pack really light even by carry on only standards. Our two bags each are certainly on the small end of the scale of what you see people dragging onto planes nowadays. We each pack for 3 or 4 days max but do have some undergarments that are designed to be hand washed and dry quickly in case our laundry day is delayed. We do a couple of loads midway through and have a half day at the resort. Very relaxing, actually. :)

You can never have enough underwear when on holidays, there's nothing like that fresh feeling. Thanks for your tips :)

I don't mind doing laundry, its nice to have a break from doing things. I never thought about having bags for dirty clothes, or having a dark and light bag!

Ha that sounds like a good plan a nice alcoholic drink with a load of laundry :)

You will want to use the dryer if you have a full load of laundry. Florida humidity is very high and things take forever and a day to line dry. Add that to a lack of space to hang things to dry in your resort room.

I wouldn't be too concerned about leaving your laundry unattended while it is in the washer or dryer. Nobody's interested in your undies. And you're not packing designer clothes for WDW anyway.

Thanks I'm glad I know to use the dryers now. I probably would have forgotten all about this and ended up having wet clothes when coming back in the evening :). I'm glad I asked this question before I left, better safe than sorry :)
I'm not concerned about my designer clothes, I've a thing about other people touching my stuff is all. I feel better 'babysitting' my stuff. :lmao:

We always do laundry if it is 5 days or more. I too find it relaxing, usually Dh takes DS for walks around the resort, swimming, to the beach or playground. It is quiet time for DH while DS unwinds. I also always do laundry again before we leave, unpacking dirty laundry is just no fun for me

We do laundry during every WDW trip. For a 9 night stay we did laundry 3 times. It's easy to do laundry at the wdw resorts. I like to do the laundry late, as in, after the parks close, while the family goes to sleep. I suggest drying on the low setting. It takes longer, but the high setting will fry/shrink stuff. I'm not even sure I trust medium for that long, if at all.

we've never done laundry unless staying dvc with a washer/dryer in the room. we have a long trip (for us) planned for December - about two weeks - and I think we will do laundry while hanging out around the resort on a pool day. hanging out at the pool with a drink while we wait sounds good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter