Is it true that we are now on AKL LITE Six??!?! Yes, bah-LEE DAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I realize that I am speaking to a biased audience here, but AKL still remains on my radar for our July 2012 trip!!! First, my DH would LOVE to have a savannah view here...at one point we were booked club level here, but now we are at WL. I LOVE the location of WL, and everyone complains about the busses at AKL. My thing is...we've stayed at all of the ALL STARS and they are in the same area and we never had an issue with the transportation or travel times, so why would we at AKL. Do the busses come with the same frequency? Are they really packed to the gills with Kidani folk by the time it gets to Jambo?? We are doing 10 nights with our girls, who will be 8 and 5 for that trip...they do like animals!!! If we did the whole 10 nights, I will probably look to book that sunrise safari (if we end up booking CL). Please help!!! We have stayed at neither AKL or WL (never actually stayed at deluxe at all), so please give me all the things to love about AKL!!! Oh...and at one point there was a complaint about the amount of bees????? What's the 411 on that???

Let me start off by saying :welcome:

We have stayed DVC at AKL Jambo house in about 7 different rooms and we have loved every minute of it.

Sometimes we have had minor issues with the buses but they have been no different from the issues we have had with buses while we stayed at BCV or BWV. So I don't have a problem with the buses. Yes they can be crowded but they can be to any resort at any given time.

As far as bees, i don't think I have every seen any so this one is new to me, I have been swarmed by the love bugs at BWV and BCV, but they attribute that to all the "White", seems the bugs are attracted to that.

The staff/CMs at AKL are amazing, CL is over the top, and the sunrise safari is truly a wonderful experience. Make sure you have your camera ready for that one, if you decide to go.

We have had some amazing views of the animals, they seem so close.

The pools, activities offered for the whole family and your food options could not be better.

I have never stayed at WL so I can't help with the compare, but we are a group that have enjoyed many resorts so just ask away others will jump in with comments and answers.

Laura, (RachelTori) let me know that she made it home safe and sound, but is having internet problems which she hopes gets fixed today....

Ok, I realize that I am speaking to a biased audience here, but AKL still remains on my radar for our July 2012 trip!!! First, my DH would LOVE to have a savannah view here...at one point we were booked club level here, but now we are at WL. I LOVE the location of WL, and everyone complains about the busses at AKL. My thing is...we've stayed at all of the ALL STARS and they are in the same area and we never had an issue with the transportation or travel times, so why would we at AKL. Do the busses come with the same frequency? Are they really packed to the gills with Kidani folk by the time it gets to Jambo?? We are doing 10 nights with our girls, who will be 8 and 5 for that trip...they do like animals!!! If we did the whole 10 nights, I will probably look to book that sunrise safari (if we end up booking CL). Please help!!! We have stayed at neither AKL or WL (never actually stayed at deluxe at all), so please give me all the things to love about AKL!!! Oh...and at one point there was a complaint about the amount of bees????? What's the 411 on that???

My now fiance (I proposed on our recent trip) and I just got back from a great stay at AKL-CL. This was our first stay there and I have to say that most of the complaints you hear about (travel time with buses or distance from rooms to CL lounge) are pretty over-blown. It takes less than 10 minutes to get to AK, about 15 minutes to EC or DHS and about 25 minutes to MK. All resorts are going to have one park that is pretty close and another park that seems to be far away. The longer travel time to MK never bothered us and we actually found it to be nice to have the extra travel time on the bus after a day there. The bus was also never full when it reached Jambo after Kidani, even at peak travel times there were never many people already on the bus. We didn't have any issues with bees, but we did had some problems with mosquitos for the first few days of the trip over by the bus area.

As for the resort, we both loved it. It is big, so it can be a bit of a walk to get from your room to the pool, the Mara, the buses. Some people are bothered by that, we personally had no issues with it. Yes, the CL lounge is on the 6th floor and the CL rooms are on the 4th floor, but that is something that never really bothered us either. We made decent use of the lounge by eating there for a light breakfast most mornings, having mid-day tea durring a mid-day break and stopping off for a drink or 2 and some tastey samplings before heading out to dinner in the evening. We made it for dessert a couple of times. The offerings were excellent and tastey. The CL CMs were also fantastic, with extra kudos to Christ and Marshall. Chris was often there and ready to talk about whatever, very friendly. Marshall was a huge help in getting us booked back at AKL after our flight was canceled as well as getting us our luggage back from the airport (we had checked our luggage in at 7 that morning and ME was supposed to get us at 4:30, our flight was canceled at 4:15).

We did both the Wanyama Safari and the Sunrise Safari. The Wanyama was awesome. They take you around the savannahs of the lodge and you can get real close to the animals. Afterwords they take you to a huge feast at Jiko (must be at least 8 to expereince, though). The Sunrise Safari was nice. They take you are KS, slower than the public gets to ride around, then they take you to a buffet at Pizzafari. We are glad we experienced it but both my fiance and myself said it was something we could skip in the future if we stayed CL again.

Have you considered doing a split stay? Half the trip at WL the other half at AKL? If the travel times concearn you, this would give you a chance to do MK and EC while you are at WL and do DHS and AK while at AKL. This would also give you a chance to do the Sunrise Safari. Just something to consider.

Good morning everyone....

I received a message from Gary, Wendy's DH!

The surgery went well, and she is ok. She is still in a lot of pain. I sent her prayers and pixiedust from all her AKL family!

I have her address and was going to send her a card, if you guys want to include a message to her, just PM the message to me and I will print them all out and mail them to her from us....

...awsome! Thank you so much....:thumbsup2

My now fiance (I proposed on our recent trip) and I just got back from a great stay at AKL-CL. This was our first stay there and I have to say that most of the complaints you hear about (travel time with buses or distance from rooms to CL lounge) are pretty over-blown. It takes less than 10 minutes to get to AK, about 15 minutes to EC or DHS and about 25 minutes to MK. All resorts are going to have one park that is pretty close and another park that seems to be far away. The longer travel time to MK never bothered us and we actually found it to be nice to have the extra travel time on the bus after a day there. The bus was also never full when it reached Jambo after Kidani, even at peak travel times there were never many people already on the bus. We didn't have any issues with bees, but we did had some problems with mosquitos for the first few days of the trip over by the bus area.

As for the resort, we both loved it. It is big, so it can be a bit of a walk to get from your room to the pool, the Mara, the buses. Some people are bothered by that, we personally had no issues with it. Yes, the CL lounge is on the 6th floor and the CL rooms are on the 4th floor, but that is something that never really bothered us either. We made decent use of the lounge by eating there for a light breakfast most mornings, having mid-day tea durring a mid-day break and stopping off for a drink or 2 and some tastey samplings before heading out to dinner in the evening. We made it for dessert a couple of times. The offerings were excellent and tastey. The CL CMs were also fantastic, with extra kudos to Christ and Marshall. Chris was often there and ready to talk about whatever, very friendly. Marshall was a huge help in getting us booked back at AKL after our flight was canceled as well as getting us our luggage back from the airport (we had checked our luggage in at 7 that morning and ME was supposed to get us at 4:30, our flight was canceled at 4:15).

We did both the Wanyama Safari and the Sunrise Safari. The Wanyama was awesome. They take you around the savannahs of the lodge and you can get real close to the animals. Afterwords they take you to a huge feast at Jiko (must be at least 8 to expereince, though). The Sunrise Safari was nice. They take you are KS, slower than the public gets to ride around, then they take you to a buffet at Pizzafari. We are glad we experienced it but both my fiance and myself said it was something we could skip in the future if we stayed CL again.

Have you considered doing a split stay? Half the trip at WL the other half at AKL? If the travel times concearn you, this would give you a chance to do MK and EC while you are at WL and do DHS and AK while at AKL. This would also give you a chance to do the Sunrise Safari. Just something to consider.

Yes, we were actually previously booked 2 nights at AKL and then 8 nights Poly. But, I just couldn't commit to the split stay...I would like to settle down in one spot and be done with it. :) Again, I am not sure the travel times bother me...again, they should be comparable with the All-Stars as they are all in the same area...I just got the impression that the busses at AKL didn't come as often??? :confused:

...you got an hour?? ;)

Hmmm...I was a WL fan for years..but I do like that AKL took all the great elements of WL and tweaked them. The lobby is much better..the pool and hot tubs (always critical for me) and nicer and the animals..WL can't compete..plus, AKL has that awesome smell.

I like being able to take a boat to MK but the remote location of AKL makes me feel like I am not smack in the middle..if that makes sense

Yes, we were actually previously booked 2 nights at AKL and then 8 nights Poly. But, I just couldn't commit to the split stay...I would like to settle down in one spot and be done with it. :) Again, I am not sure the travel times bother me...again, they should be comparable with the All-Stars as they are all in the same area...I just got the impression that the busses at AKL didn't come as often??? :confused:

We didn't find that the buses came any more or less than any other resort. People tend to get antsy when they are waiting for their bus to come, and if they so happen to just miss their intended bus and have to watch all the other buses show up (and on occasion 2 buses for 1 park), they just blame it on a lack of buses or a poorly designed system. We never waited for more than 15 minutes for a bus and often waited less than 10 minutes. So either we constantly had good timing or the buses are just as good as anywhere else. We also found that at the time of our trip most of the AKL bus stops at the parks were relatively close to the gate (with the exception of DTD which isn't a big deal and AK.. go figure) which was nice after a long day.

Sorry I've been absent again so much:sad2:

Just stopped by to say thank, Brandi for the update on Wendy:yay: Glad she's getting better:hug:

Here is the latest list of everyone visiting the remainder of 2011 and 2012....:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

If you have any updates please let me know...

November
pix13dust, Oct 31st – 13th, AKL CL
RachelTori, 1st – 5th, SSR
Evi, 1st - 7th, AKL CL
camsmomE, 5th – 7th, BLT
vettegirl, 10th - 15th, AKL Jambo House
Singinglizzie, 11th - 16th, Kidani
basketlacey, 12th -19th, AKL
tiggrbaby, 13th – 15th, POP
happygirlagain, 16th - 19th, AKV-Kidani
blueshog2001, 24th - Dec 4th, AKL CL
theduck619, 26th - Dec 1st, Kidani
BlovesC, 28th - 30th, AKL
westonkamom, 29th - Dec 9th, AKL

December
blueshog2001, Nov 24th - 4th, AKL CL
theduck619, Nov 26th - 1st, Kidani
dinut, 1st -8th, AKL CL
supersuperwendy, 2nd - 7th, Jambo House
Crzyred, 3rd – 10th, AKL Kidani
huey578, 3rd – 10th, AKL Kidani
Nutty4Disney, 3rd - 10th, AKV Kidani
franandaj, 4th - 12th, SSR
DisneyDmbNut, 9th - 11th, AKL
Pinkocto, 9th - 12th, SSR
RachelTori, 10th - 14th(?), Sports(?)/GF
DisneyBride'03, 11th - 14th, GF-RPC
TyRy, 11th - 15th, AKV
At Home at WL, 11th - 16th, AKL
REL1203, 11th - 18th, AKL
John's Mom, 12th - 22nd, AKL CL
DaisynDonald, 13th - 20th, AKL CL
BLTLDZ, 15th - 19th, AKL Jambo House
achenator, 15th - 21st, AKL
TinkerbellLuvr7, 16th - 20th, AKL
Ana~n~Joseph, 19th - 22nd, AKL CL
twinklebug, 20th - 22nd, BWV
twinklebug, 23rd -29th, AKV - Kidani
Harlemgirl720, 23rd - 26th, AKV
Harlemgirl720, 26th -29th, BLT

January
DisneyFirstTimer10, 21st – 28th, AKV
MrsDanielle, 20th - 27th, AKL Kidani
Grumpy Grandma, 21st - 29th, AKV Kidani
junebugTN, 22nd - 27th, AKL

February
pookie10, 1st – 8th, AKL
DisneyBride'03, Princess half marathon, AKV Kidani

March
WaitingToMeetDumbo, 10th - 17th, Kidani
DCTM, 17th - 24th, AKL
Pinkocto, 18th - 21st, AKV
PoeticMoe, 29th, - 31st, AKL

April
Denamac, 8th - 14th, AKV Jambo House
momtwoboys, 11th -20th, AKL Jambo House
TinkerBelle_325, 20th - 25th, AKL CL

May
franandaj, 1st - 4th, AKV - Kidani
franandaj, 4th - 8th, BLT
wendypooh, 18th - 30th, AKV - Kidani
goofyredraider, 27th - June 7th, AKV - Jambo House
pandamom, 29th - June 1st, AKL

June
goofyredraider, May 27th - 7th, AKV - Jambo House
pandamom, 1st - 6th, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
supersuperwendy, 13th - 17th, Jambo House
miprender, 22nd - July 5th, AKL Jambo
E&BMom, 23rd - 30th, AKL CL Jambo House

July
miprender, June 22nd - 5th, AKL Jambo

August
MMrules, 8th - 17th, AKV-kidani
Donald is #1, 8th - 18th, AKL Kidani

September
Pinkocto, 3rd - 10th, AKL CL - Jambo House
meg_twittles, 20th - 29th, AKL
jenny105, 30th - Oct 7th, AKV Jambo House

October
jenny105, September 30th - 7th, AKV Jambo House
PNO4TE, 7th - 14th, Dolphin
RachelTori, 7th - 12th, Dolphin
John's Mom, 10th - 14th, Dolphin
RachelTori, 12th - 14th, Swan
dgbg100106, 12th -15th, BCV

Unfortunatley, no sightseeing during those days. It takes that long with layovers and time changes. We are flying boston to Amsterdam, then Amsterdam to Tanzania. If I remember right, the flight times alone are in the 15-20 hour range.

That is a long long time to be in airplanes! I hope you have a good entertainment or sleeping schedule. But your trip is going to be amazing!

Good morning everyone....

I received a message from Gary, Wendy's DH!

The surgery went well, and she is ok. She is still in a lot of pain. I sent her prayers and pixiedust from all her AKL family!

That is such good news, thanks for letting us know :)

Can not remember even seeing one single bee. That just means they weren't a problem, not that they weren't there. I just can't remember them. On the bus complaints, yes, this was also the lead complaint when I was researching our trip, I had gotten us ready to endure painfully long waits and very long rides, but they were not a problem in the least. The only time we had to stand was when we left at park closing, so either stay a little longer or leave before the crowds. The animals were of course the focal points, and it was so awesome to sit on the balcony and watch them. I probably could have watched for many more hours than I was alotted, must get to the parks you know. CL was so worth it. Switch back to AKL, if your girls like animals it's definitely the place to be.

My now fiance (I proposed on our recent trip) and I just got back from a great stay at AKL-CL.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is fabulous news!!!!!

Just 4 more days til our first AKL stay. So excited!

:banana::banana::banana:

Hi all, total AKL newbie here. Starting to plan a trip for next October and have found someone to rent DVC points from.

What are the big differences between Kidani and Jambo? Obviously Jambo is located in the main resort building, so does that make it harder to get into? The person I've found to rent points from isn't an AKV owner, so I'd have to wait until the 7-month mark to find availability.

My DBF and I aren't huge Animal Kingdom fans, but does that mean we won't like AKL? The resort seems beautiful and we're planning to rent a car, so the longish bus rides won't be an issue for us.

I've read so many wonderful reviews of AKL and AKV on trip reports and the resorts board, so I thought it may be time for me to experience this beautiful resort for myself!

Thanks for any advice or thoughts you give to this newbie! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter