Is it too hot to camp in August?

Disney Dukers

Mouseketeer
hi! We are thinking of booking a week beginning of August in our pop up. We have no ac unit. We would bring fans. But...I know it will be hot. Thoughts? Thx!

I'm trying to talk DW into a trip the first week in August for our anniversary. Here response was something along the lines of, "It's too d@mn hot!!!" And we have dual A/C units on the 5er.

j

You could get you a portable stand up a/c unit. They're relatively inexpensive and don't take up much space.

hi! We are thinking of booking a week beginning of August in our pop up. We have no ac unit. We would bring fans. But...I know it will be hot. Thoughts? Thx!
I'll give you a more realistic answer.

You already know August will be hot AND humid. A lot depends on where you live and how much you are outside normally. I looks like you are from Ontario. I've never been there, but I doubt you get Midwest and Florida level heat or humidity. Think 98 degrees (or 36-37C for everyone on the planet except the US) and 98% humidity. It can be oppressive. Night time doesn't cool off much in August with over night lows around 80 (27C) or higher with the same humidity. I'm from near St Louis where summers are often hotter than WDW with the same humidity. You do "get used to it", but if you don't like sweating, like my DW really doesn't, I would consider a different plan. That said, one of our trips in July, we were talking to a family in line for a ride at HS. They said they drove down from a small town about 5 hours north of Toronto. (I didn't know there were towns 5 hours north of Toronto. :-)) They spent all day in the parks and were doing just fine. They came down for 2 1/2 weeks.

If you are like us and summer is the only option because of school schedules, go with a plan to deal with the heat. In a pop-up, definitely look into a portable A/C unit. There are quite a few posts on here about the best options. Not sure how big the pop-up is, but make it a priority.

Plan your days to avoid being stuck in the heat between 12-4pm. We usually do most days in the parks, but I find air conditioned shows or come back to the Fort and hit the pool in the afternoon. Also, assume it will rain at some point in the afternoon. Usually not long, but enough to make the humidity go from 98% to 198%.

If you come knowing what to expect and have a plan to find ways to cool off, this is manageable.

j

Yes. It's too hot to camp in August! We did it once. Let's just say that I know what it's going to feel like if I end up in hell!

We did it once... many years ago and NEVER ever again. We were in a pop-up and had only fans. Since the humidity is at 100% all the time - nothing, I mean nothing will be dry. Swimsuits can actually mold! So gross. And that's also how you'll feel. Talk about catastrophic deodorant failure...

Ok so I think I'm hearing don't do it, correct?! Bahaha!

Thank you everyone for your comments. You all told me what I knew already but I didn't want to hear. LOL
I thought I'd get one person to say just go for it ;)

It makes sense though we are from Ontario we don't get that kind of heat or humidity. We went to Nashville/Kentucky last year in our trailer without AC and just about died from the heat so it's probably the best to start looking at hotels. The idea of camping sounds so cool… Maybe it's best for another time when we can go in a different season.

Thanks again! :)

I wrecked our camper last September on our way to the fort, which left us with only two options, go home or call and rent one. I was not going to let the wreck mess up my vacation so we called Greenberg's and they brought us a twenty footer that was the only thing they had left. Two adult girls and the wife and I plus our white lab. They are super nice people and Sunday they brought us a twenty-nine foot bunk house which was very clean with a slide out. I would not hesitate to use them in the future, I think the rental fee was about 800.00 with taxes for 8 nights. you do have to have your own sheets, blankets, and towels.

I know you already have many responses, but I thought I would add mine as well.

Oh heck no!!! I would die. Melt into a puddle and then die.

Just don't!

Okay, Here is the "Nuts" one!

I say go for it. Will it be hot? Sure. Will it be Humid? Sure. Will it be Disney? Yes, absolutely.

Okay, but the reality is, is that you should, most definitely, absolutely, without a doubt, have an AC in some way shape or form.

Now all that being said, We (DW and I) Just decided to spend our Anniversary at the fort which is in Mid August. Now our camper is not a Pop-up but a 27' TT with only 1 AC so we maybe in for it, but I don't care. We will spend time at the pool and as Teamubr stated, we will plan (what planning that we will actually do) things around the weather. Noon day, relaxing either in the shade, at the pool or in an air conditioned space.

Probably do more evening at the park when it's cooler.

Whatever it is that you decide to do, I hope you have an awesome time.

I think the fort wont be that bad in August really. My camper has 2 AC and in august has a rough time staying cool out in the open sun. But I have been camping with even some tree shade in 95+ and 90% humidity and it did not work that hard. Given the forts canopy I think even a TT or a popup with an AC could keep you in the comfort zone.

We are currently in Texas and have friends in the Canadian Army down here for 2 years. They are originally from Nova Scotia. The non military spouse has retreated to Canada the past 2 summers with the kids. And our humidity is non existent compared to Florida. Just to give you one more Canadian perspective :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter