Is it too expensive?

tycon07

Mouseketeer
As senior class president for my high school class, I have took th iniative of asking for quotes and packages from vendors and bus companies. For EVERYTHING EXCEPT MEALS----- the total cost per person is $423.31. This includes roundtrip motorcoach transportation from central Illinois, 3 nights at the HRH (quad occupancy), and a 5-day 2-park pass for each person. All of my classmates are telling me it is too expensive, but my dad (47) spent more money for his trip back in the late '70s. I need to find a way to tell them, "hey this is dirt cheap for what your getting." But I don't want to do that without the advice and opinions of my fellow 'dissers'. Thanks, Tyler

tycon07 said:
.....3 nights at the HRH (quad occupancy), and a 5-day 2-park pass for each person.

It's good you're taking that initiative Tyler....how many "complainers" are doing that? :confused3 Anyhow, I'm confused by the mentioned "3 nights and 5 day tickets".....uh, aren't you a little short on a night? :confused3 ...OR are you missing a day on your ticket for traveling?? Are you all driving and not flying?? (Just wonderin'...it's a long trip...BUT cost effective)

That price is not bad at all :thumbsup2 . I am sure there will be some that will say it is pricey but they will find the money to go because it is not that expensive. It has been 14 years since my senior trip and it cost well over a thousand per person. Not everyone was able to go but most did; we flew to Mexico for a week. Spring break is a ways away and teenagers can easily earn that money in that amount of time. Plus, I bet many parents will help chip in for their own teen. This would be a great trip and one of the least expensive cool things your class could do, I say go for it!

I was class president also when I put together our trip:) Just be decisive and don't worry about all the complainers :) As long as it is a fair price for a fun safe trip everyone will be happy in the long run. Remember you can NOT make everyone happy so don't even try that; just do the best for the group as a whole.

Maybe you guys could stay another day.....

Good Luck and Have FUN!!! :dance3:

Other than the already mentioned "missing night" .. possibly you can look into a different hotel? Even Royal Pacific might cut the cost a little, every bit counts IMO.

Thankfully, it cost us $60 for our senior trip to Universal (or Disney) since we're in south fla, but we missed getting to stay at the hotels. Enjoy your trip nonetheless.

Edit: Maybe you could look over other possible senior trips for comparision to show them its cheaper / better to do Universal? :thumbsup2

Did you ask Universal about group rates on rooms and tickets? Will you be there for Grad Night?

My daughter went on her class trip last April. The cost was just under $1,000. Her class size was aprx. 400 students more than half went(everyone complained about the price) and they had a wonderful time. :) As a parent I thought it was expensive but worth every penny... :goodvibes Just to give u an idea of their trip here is a little bit of the itinery

4/25 Tues.

8:00 Flight departs for Orlando (lite breakfast in flight)
10:30 Arrive in Orlando take Charter buses to MGM studios(Disney meal coupon included)
8:30 charter buses back to ASSP for check in.

4/26 Wed.

7:30 Breakfast at the hotel food dourt (5 Disney dollars)
8:30 Charter buses to IOA and US
5:00 Board charter buses again to hotel (shower and change)
7:45 Charter buses to Medieval Times
8:30 Dinner and show begin
10:00 Castle DJ/ Dance party
11:45 Charter bus back to hotel.

4/27 Thur.

8:00 Breakfast at the horel food court (5 Disney dollars).
Group photo taken poolside at the hotel.
9:00 Disney busses to the Ak or MK.
(students can return to hotel to swim shower and change 3:00-5:00)
6:00 Disney bussses to Epcot.
Disney counter service meal coupon for dinner.
10:00 Disney busses to hotel.
11:00 Pizza delivered to hotel (one large pie per room).

4/28 Fri.

7:30 Breakfast at the hotel food court (5 Disney dollars)
8:30 Charter buses to US IOA Universal meal coupon provided for dinner.
7:30 Charter buses to the hotel.

4/29 Sat.

8:00 Breakfast at the hotel food court ($5 Disney dollars) Room check out.
9:30 Disney busses to Blizzard Beach
5:30 Charter buses to Orlando Airport
8:00 Flight departs (lite dinner on flight)
10:15 Flight arrives in Phila.

If you would like info. on the vacation planners drop me line they have a web site and do a lot of Sr. trips to Florida..

That sounds pretty good to me. My DDs middle school band trip to Myrtle Beach SC is ~$425 for 3 nights hotel, meals, the competition and a dinner/party at Medieval Times. It too is quad occupancy. I wish they were going to US!

bubba's mom said:
It's good you're taking that initiative Tyler....how many "complainers" are doing that? :confused3 Anyhow, I'm confused by the mentioned "3 nights and 5 day tickets".....uh, aren't you a little short on a night? :confused3 ...OR are you missing a day on your ticket for traveling?? Are you all driving and not flying?? (Just wonderin'...it's a long trip...BUT cost effective)

It was alot cheaper to get a 5-day ticket than if we were to get 2 2-day tickets. We will have close to 4 full days at the parks.

bubba's mom said:

I think we are going to drive (I would rather fly) but we got a really good deal on the motorcoach. $7055 tip and gratuity included for a brand new 2006 Prevost 56-passenger coach.

IMGONNABE40! said:
Did you ask Universal about group rates on rooms and tickets? Will you be there for Grad Night?

I called Universal and they quoted me 224 per room at the HRH--All taxes and fees included. So if you take out the 12.5% tax, It comes out to $196 per night per room. And the ticket quote I got was $95.81-----all taxes already inlcuded. I looked into Grad Nite, but since this is not a school sponsored trip, we cannot miss school. Our school board does not take chances with anything.

DawnA401 said:
If you would like info. on the vacation planners drop me line they have a web site and do a lot of Sr. trips to Florida..

What is the website address? I am willing to giver anybody a try.

tell them to book a flight out of STL and one night at the Hard Rock on their own. I bet it comes to $400.00 per person that quickly. and that's with no park ticket. then tell them to stop complaining, I think you got them a good deal.

tycon07 said:
I called Universal and they quoted me 224 per room at the HRH--All taxes and fees included. So if you take out the 12.5% tax, It comes out to $196 per night per room. And the ticket quote I got was $95.81-----all taxes already inlcuded. I looked into Grad Nite, but since this is not a school sponsored trip, we cannot miss school. Our school board does not take chances with anything.

Be sure to read the post on this board about the new ticket - $85 for 7 days (which is more than you need, but cheaper than what you were quoted).

Thats a good deal for what it is but if you are really trying to cut cost, best way like someone else said is not to stay on site. I stay on site cause thats the best way to go, but if you are on a real tight budget, you can find some real nice hotels just right by the park for about 65-75 a night or so. And I think they have a new 7 day pass thing for $85 from what I've heard, you may check into that.

Or you could give them the option, Hotel 1 HRH is 465 or whatever. Hotel 2 is 300 or whatever. Seems like you could have 2 groups if the hotels were real close together. I think the DoubleTree which is right across the street is super nice for only like 75 or so a night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter