Is it tacky to use a Groupon for a business dinner?

jgreco

Mouseketeer
I'm on the fence.
Hubby and I are in contract to purchase a business. We are taking the current owners out to dinner at a pricey restaurant. We did not choose the place, however I've discovered there is a nice Groupon out there (so its not like we picked the place because we have the Groupon).
What says you?

I'm on the fence.
Hubby and I are in contract to purchase a business. We are taking the current owners out to dinner at a pricey restaurant. We did not choose the place, however I've discovered there is a nice Groupon out there (so its not like we picked the place because we have the Groupon).
What says you?

I wish it wasn't, but I say yes it could be viewed as tacky if you use it. Business dinners, dates and ocassions where you don't know the other parties well it is bad form to start pulling out the coupons.....Maybe you COULD give the server it before you all are seated in private, if you really wanted to use it? But I think I would refrain.

Yes, I figured if I have to ask, I know my answer :)
That $38 for $80 Groupon was so tempting! LOL

I wouldn't do it. There are some situations where saving some $$ in the short term could cause long term reputation concerns.

At a personal level I don't much care what people think, on a professional one, reputation matters....a lot.

Hey :wave:
I think that you should take into account the kind of people they are and the kind of people you are.
Many people are caught up with appearances- I am so not. :upsidedow

You could take me out for dinner with a groupon in this circumstance
and I will be really impressed that the people who are buying my business are frugal and understand the work that goes into earning a dollar. :thumbsup2

First, as pocomom said, you could do that so that it isn't noticed.
Or if that is not possible, I'd flat out mention it at the table.
Money doesn't grow on trees and I want to be a good manager of money :scratchin
and save whenever we can while not sacrificing quality. :woohoo:

But that is just my $0.02 ... :)

I wouldn't do it. There are some situations where saving some $$ in the short term could cause long term reputation concerns.

At a personal level I don't much care what people think, on a professional one, reputation matters....a lot.

I agree 100% BUT...I think its also how you frame the situation. For example you say "My wife is always buying me these groupon...." or something like that, people would understand and it can become funny or positive instead of negative.

No. Don't use it for a business dinner.

However, if the restaurant turns out to be great, you've got a great excuse to go back!

You could take me out for dinner with a groupon in this circumstance
and I will be really impressed that the people who are buying my business are frugal and understand the work that goes into earning a dollar. :thumbsup2

As a seller, I wouldn't want the people who are BUYING my business to be that frugal. I'd be concerned about their financial resources. I'd want to be confident that they have enough wealth to make me a decent offer. I'd be worried that they are going to nickle and dime me the whole way during negotiations if they can't even "afford" the cost of a dinner without a Groupon. I'm not saying that's reality, but to me this just isn't one of those times to appear cheap.

That said, if there's a way that you could quietly arrange it with the business or waitstaff ahead of time, and the receipt would not be shown to the other party, that's a different story. But also be aware that sometimes Groupons have limits and you may not be able to use it on certain days/times, or need to make a reservation in advance that wouldn't fit the time you've already agreed to.

I think its very tacky, I can't imagine taking one of my clients out and using a groupon. I'm in the consulting business and I wouldn't want them to think we weren't doing well (ie no one wants to hire us). Go back and use the Groupon as a celebration when the deal goes through :goodvibes

jgreco said:
I'm on the fence.
What says you?

It's not tacky at all. It means you have a good business sense.

We've already signed the contract and provided proof of funds, so that would not be an issue. This is a celebratory dinner. We've decided against using the Groupon altogether.

Yeah, I actually wouldn't care what the people I was purchasing a business from thought about my "frugalness."

But we've found Groupon service in certain restaurants to be problematic. Google around and you will see the stories about all "Groupons" being seated in a certain areas and being given lesser menus and a waitress who only wanders around every 40 minutes or so. I wouldn't want to risk putting up with that over a business dinner so I'd probably refrain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter