• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it safe to rent from David’s DVC?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
I could not get any of the discounts and offers that Disney put out. I can’t even do the 500.00 off for 4 nights with tickets because I already have tickets from a third party.
I sent a request in to David’s for Copper Creek. They do not have our dates. They sent me some alternate resorts. They have the Polynesian for our dates.
I’m leery about renting off David’s because I have read bad things people have said on the Disboard.
Now I’m not sure if I should book the Poly or just cancel and get my deposit back? Any advice would be appreciated.

I could not get any of the discounts and offers that Disney put out. I can’t even do the 500.00 off for 4 nights with tickets because I already have tickets from a third party.
I sent a request in to David’s for Copper Creek. They do not have our dates. They sent me some alternate resorts. They have the Polynesian for our dates.
I’m leery about renting off David’s because I have read bad things people have said on the Disboard.
Now I’m not sure if I should book the Poly or just cancel and get my deposit back? Any advice would be appreciated.

I personally wouldn’t do it. In January, I rented points from David’s for the Aulani for a stay next month. And now I’m kicking myself. Just too many unknowns right now.

I personally wouldn’t do it. In January, I rented points from David’s for the Aulani for a stay next month. And now I’m kicking myself. Just too many unknowns right now.
Yes I have been thinking about the problems with COVID-19.

After reading the lengthy thread on this board about how they continue to handle the ongoing Covid situation, I can’t imagine ever wanting to give that company my money. I also wouldn‘t have confidence in their longevity and ability to survive post pandemic. I have no direct experience with Davids but the sheer number of negative experiences speaks volumes.

Last edited:

There have been a lot of issues for renters during this time. Your reservation will be non refundable and while that has always been the case, this situation has shown that things beyond your own control can prevent the trip.

Would you still go if the numbers start to increase in FL? Would you be able to quarantine for 2 weeks when you get back if your state decided to impose one?

Are you okay with being stuck with a voucher if the resort closes?

IMO, if the trip was in a week or two, then it might be worth it as it’s close enough to know how things are going. Longer than that, I think you have to be very comfortable that the savings is enough to write off the money if something happens,

There are current renters who don’t feel comfortable going and are stuck, unless David’s finds someone to take the exact reservation

Also, are you aware that the Poly hotel side is not opening until next summer, undergoing renovations, including the GCH? Starting in October, the monorail will Not be running.

Personally, I will never deal with him again as an owner, but I also think renting is pretty risky right now.

I can't speak to the covid situation, but I've rented twice from David's - once in November 2019 and then again in February 2020. I was very happy with the service. My family really enjoyed our stays at Boulder Ridge and Bay Lake Tower. I will rent from David's again if they survive covid. And after there's a readily available vaccine.

I also went into the agreements with the understanding that once I paid, no refunds... I was willing to take the risk of losing all of my money if something happened and we couldn't go.

There have been a lot of issues for renters during this time. Your reservation will be non refundable and while that has always been the case, this situation has shown that things beyond your own control can prevent the trip.

Would you still go if the numbers start to increase in FL? Would you be able to quarantine for 2 weeks when you get back if your state decided to impose one?

Are you okay with being stuck with a voucher if the resort closes?

IMO, if the trip was in a week or two, then it might be worth it as it’s close enough to know how things are going. Longer than that, I think you have to be very comfortable that the savings is enough to write off the money if something happens,

There are current renters who don’t feel comfortable going and are stuck, unless David’s finds someone to take the exact reservation

Also, are you aware that the Poly hotel side is not opening until next summer, undergoing renovations, including the GCH? Starting in October, the monorail will Not be running.

Personally, I will never deal with him again as an owner, but I also think renting is pretty risky right now.
Yes to we would still go if cases go up and yes we will be able to quarantine. I also know the monorail will not be running and Ohana is closed.
I have thought about getting trip insurance, but I don’t think any cover things that happen with coronavirus.

when are you going?

When are you going? We were just looking on David’s as well for October, because I couldn’t find a reasonable discount. I ended up getting a pin code from Disney and booking directly through them.

I would really say it depends on how soon you are going. They have always had a no refund policy. If you are going really soon, then I would feel less nervous about it, but later who knows how all of this will play out. Also, you might already know this, but the monorail at poly will be part of the hotel closure through next Summer. So, if a dedicated stop there is important you may want to consider that.

When are you going? We were just looking on David’s as well for October, because I couldn’t find a reasonable discount. I ended up getting a pin code from Disney and booking directly through them.

I would really say it depends on how soon you are going. They have always had a no refund policy. If you are going really soon, then I would feel less nervous about it, but later who knows how all of this will play out. Also, you might already know this, but the monorail at poly will be part of the hotel closure through next Summer. So, if a dedicated stop there is important you may want to consider that.
We are going in the middle of November. I have been checking everyday for that pin code. When did you get yours?

I received mine on Thursday morning this week.

Did you look at the dedicated reservations on David’s site? There are tons, because of people trying to cancel. I found several that worked for my time frame and some give or take a day.
Honestly, I think David’s will continue to have plenty of those from people who booked and want to back out now. I would book a room with Disney so you have something and wait until closer to 30 days out. You will have a better idea of the situation then and can cancel rebook With David’s at that time if you really wanted to do so. Either way, you will have a room. In addition, you can keep looking for discounts.

I just rented from David’s a couple days ago. It was an easy process and they inform you of the policy before you hit submit on the payment/contract agreement. If you’re not comfortable with the policy through David’s especially with how Covid can possibly affect your vacation, I probably wouldn’t book. No refunds.

I would do what another poster suggested. Book directly with Disney and then look at the dedicated reservations for rent from David's and for the other timeshare brokers. As the time gets closer to the check-in date (30-45 days), the prices on the dedicated (confirmed) rentals might go down significantly so that those people who had originally booked those dates can get some of their money back.

I received mine on Thursday morning this week.

Did you look at the dedicated reservations on David’s site? There are tons, because of people trying to cancel. I found several that worked for my time frame and some give or take a day.
Honestly, I think David’s will continue to have plenty of those from people who booked and want to back out now. I would book a room with Disney so you have something and wait until closer to 30 days out. You will have a better idea of the situation then and can cancel rebook With David’s at that time if you really wanted to do so. Either way, you will have a room. In addition, you can keep looking for discounts.
Yes I did look at the dedicated reservations. Do you have to take the exact dates? Because they wouldn’t work with our flights.
I think I will wait closer to our trip like you said. In the mean time I will keep hoping for a Disney discount. Copper Creek is 552.00 a night without a discount.

Yes! Definitely keep checking for a discount and look at David’s closer to your time. You do have to take the exact days in the dedicated reservations. However, for us some of the longer reservations still worked out cheaper than Disney. Good luck and hope you get your discount!

Yes! Definitely keep checking for a discount and look at David’s closer to your time. You do have to take the exact days in the dedicated reservations. However, for us some of the longer reservations still worked out cheaper than Disney. Good luck and hope you get your discount!
Thank you.

Yes I did look at the dedicated reservations. Do you have to take the exact dates? Because they wouldn’t work with our flights.
I think I will wait closer to our trip like you said. In the mean time I will keep hoping for a Disney discount. Copper Creek is 552.00 a night without a discount.
Confirmed bookings are firm and you have to take those dates.

TBH, I wouldn't rent at all right now save on shorter notice and looking at confirmed bookings or seeing if there are bookings being cancelled creating availability.

I have been doing some retail planning for this year's probably super-weird Black Friday/Cyber Monday. While we expect demand to move online sooner, we have a lot of question marks about consumer confidence and economic conditions that apply across sectors. Add in the start of flu season during a pandemic, and I think travel conditions are highly volatile, and making any booking that is not easily changed has high risk.

In general, I tend to feel that when people talk of DVC rental as a "cost savings," the willingness to eat the cost if things get weird may not be there for the renter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter